Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,193
USCG license renewal

Has anyone renewed their USCG license in the past year? They are in the midst of bringing the CG licensing training and certification into alignment with international standards, and I'm really struggling to figure out what I need to do, if anything, and what upgrades I qualify for. After much, much research I had the old system pretty well figured out, but now my head is spinning again trying to figure it all out again.

Has anyone sorted this out?
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
I renewed last summer. My renewal is conditional to my obtaining "Leadership and managerial" class before 2017. There is going to be a run on these classes at the last half of 2016 because it is mandatory for lots of wheelhouse and engine room tickets. I'm taking the class later this month, another $1200/5 day BS.
__________________

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,193
USCG license renewal

This is part of what I'm trying to figure out - namely what courses I need to take. Also, under the old rules I'm eligible for a couple of upgrades, but am not sure if now additional courses or other is required.

I'm thinking one of the training schools might provide some consulting, kinda like my old guidance counselor in school. Did you do that, or figure it out yourself? The CG is unfortunately very poor at explaining all this in a comprehensible manner.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
This is part of what I'm trying to figure out - namely what courses I need to take. Also, under the old rules I'm eligible for a couple of upgrades, but am not sure if now additional courses or other is required.

I'm thinking one of the training schools might provide some consulting, kinda like my old guidance counselor in school. Did you do that, or figure it out yourself? The CG is unfortunately very poor at explaining all this in a comprehensible manner.
MPT provides solid consultant like a guidance counselor. I would think any in your area would also. Leadership and Management and ECDIS are the big items. Both are 5 day courses.

I've known several captains decide just to stay National for at least the moment. I know MPT also advises to do any upgrades in tonnage this year and not wait.

Here's a page that while not completely clear is less convoluted than most:

News - MPT | Maritime Professional Training

Oh, you think of the captain side of things as a mess, the engineering side is even more so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
While the USCG site is otherwise a bit vague and of less than stellar help, the checklists are somewhat helpful.

Mariner Application Checklists
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I renewed last summer. My renewal is conditional to my obtaining "Leadership and managerial" class before 2017. There is going to be a run on these classes at the last half of 2016 because it is mandatory for lots of wheelhouse and engine room tickets. I'm taking the class later this month, another $1200/5 day BS.
I think there will be a last minute panic near the end of the year when the classes are all full and people procrastinated. I heard MPT is even adding classes for HELM (Human Element Leadership and Management) at Rybovich in West Palm.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,193
Thanks for the various pointers. I took my radar training with MPT and they were quite good, but taking a class there involves a flights and a hotel for a week, so the cost doubles or triples. For guys who's employer pays for training, it's no big deal, but this is all on me. If I can find a place in Seattle, I can stay on the boat which is both more comfortable and doesn't cost.

Time to get my butt in gear again on this....
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Thanks for the various pointers. I took my radar training with MPT and they were quite good, but taking a class there involves a flights and a hotel for a week, so the cost doubles or triples. For guys who's employer pays for training, it's no big deal, but this is all on me. If I can find a place in Seattle, I can stay on the boat which is both more comfortable and doesn't cost.

Time to get my butt in gear again on this....
I'm sure you'll find a place in Seattle with basically the same program. I saw a couple with the courses needed such as Compass in Edmonds.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm sure you'll find a place in Seattle with basically the same program. I saw a couple with the courses needed such as Compass in Edmonds.
Yes, there are two or three. It's mostly about getting schedules to line up, and of course finalizing what courses are needed. There is a big place in Houston too, and a smaller outfit in RI, but so far MPT seems to be the biggest with the most course offerings.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
I was just looking for something in the Seattle area.

The ones in Fort Lauderdale are larger simply because of the number of people in the industry here. IPT in Ft. Lauderdale also has the upgrade classes. Amazing how many places I've found around the country that just go either to 100 or 200 T and don't offer these classes at all. Makes me wonder what percentage are going to upgrade to the STCW requirements. There are many who don't need to as they never leave the US, so the National license is all they need.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,525
IF you are using the license for commercial purposes it is worth the effort to jump thru the Coasties hoops.

If the license is simply proof that you can operate a boat , say to deliver it, a current license is not needed.

My 100T was issued in 1975 , and I never bothered to renew it , which does not seem to be a problem .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
Ecdis is only required if you serve aboard an Ecdis equipped vsl. MPT is great but also one of the most expensive and busiest. Lost of schools are adding additional classes for the leadership class requirement because so many peeps have such a short window to comply. There should be places in Seattle to get anything you need.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #13
Guru
 
cappy208's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,131
I believe it depends upon how large your license is. Under 100 tons needs none of this BS. But, operating an INSPECTED pax vessel for instance between alaska and continental US would necessitate some of the courses.

Over 100 tons, operating in foreign waters would necessitate the classes.

It is a bitch when Uncle Sams Confused Group can't post an easy answer, Yes or No on this. I have to attend three weeks of training this year just to keep my endorsements to work...... Grrrr. That's three weeks less trawlertime.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #14
Guru
 
cappy208's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Ecdis is only required if you serve aboard an Ecdis equipped vsl.

That's not quite correct. I have to take ECDIS to keep my unlimited tonnage pilotage endorsements or they said I would get a 3000GT restriction on them next year. And, since I'm licensed to operated in the City, that would be a vague area when pushing a 6600 ton barge around. There appears to be a grey area concerning "Acting as Pilot aboard tank barges less than 10,000 GT" using 'Self Certified Recency' In lieu of pilotage when you will have a restriction on a license because of the federal endorsement.

Also, not having the restriction would eliminate the occasional pilot job I can do around the city on something over 1600 tons that comes up.

It's funny. All these IMO driven, foreign equivalent, STCW type endorsements are completely irrelevant here, since when INSIDE the Line of Demarcation STCW doesn't even apply. But onward to the global equality and acceptance of a unified control system. Seems like the 'Federation' really isn't far from happening. (as in Starfleet Command)
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #15
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
Woops, I stand corrected on that one.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
knotheadcharters's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I renewed last summer. My renewal is conditional to my obtaining "Leadership and managerial" class before 2017. There is going to be a run on these classes at the last half of 2016 because it is mandatory for lots of wheelhouse and engine room tickets. I'm taking the class later this month, another $1200/5 day BS.

If your in Jacksonville, check out Maritime Training International at Palm Cove Marina. Good Staff. I took the Leadership in November and I think it was only 500 or 600 dollars if I remember correctly. I do Agree after 22 years in the Navy I didn't think I would ever have to take another "leadership" course. The material has nothing to do with shipboard deckplate leadership. Mostly corporate structure and pillars of leadership. Nothing to do with running a boat or a crew. Waste of time and money for most but just another hoop to jump through for the Coasties.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,959
I just paid $1200 to Maritime training intl, attending on the 22nd.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #18
Guru
 
cappy208's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
The material has nothing to do with shipboard deckplate leadership. Mostly corporate structure and pillars of leadership. Nothing to do with running a boat or a crew. Waste of time and money for most but just another hoop to jump through for the Coasties.

Another brick in the wall. Sad isn't it!?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
After all the finger pointing about the El Faro...maybe it is exactly what is needed.


The FAA saw the need to educate pilots and the whole corporate aviation safety chain back in the 90's.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #20
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 956
Similar situation, farely simple process (and free) in the late 80's, then got to the point of special location for drug testing etc, like most gov processes they kill it with BS. I let mine lapse and that was that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF you are using the license for commercial purposes it is worth the effort to jump thru the Coasties hoops.

If the license is simply proof that you can operate a boat , say to deliver it, a current license is not needed.

My 100T was issued in 1975 , and I never bothered to renew it , which does not seem to be a problem .
__________________

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012