USCG license renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah! That pretty much explains why Miami waters is so full of crazy boaters that not even understand basic preference rules.

Ah! That pretty much explains why Miami waters is so full of crazy boaters that not even understand basic preference rules.

Exactly! And I would not even expect them to have taken the basic boater safety course, either.

Or to be sober.

Boa sorte!

Careful. Miami waters include a lot of boaters from Central and South America. Florida does require a card for all boaters born after 1/1/88, which of the members here likely only includes Oliver.

Miami boaters are much like Miami car drivers. In cars we have drivers from Central and South America, we have old who moved from NYC and hadn't driven for decades and drive very slow, we have young who hadn't driven in NYC and so thrilled they try to see how fast the car will go. We have those use to driving on the other side of the road in Europe or various islands in the Caribbean. We have residents, but huge numbers of visitors. So, unlike other places we have no consistent demographic. Driving between NC and TN and SC and GA, you can tell the difference almost when you cross state lines. I didn't believe the stories about TN until crossing from NC and immediately the speed on the Interstate increased dramatically. However, there's no such thing as a South Florida driver, just the hodgepodge of all of us here.

There is no federal requirement by the US Coast Guard for any sort of master's license for pleasure vessels. The only time that a master needs a USCG license is when he is carrying passengers for hire (paying passengers). This Coast Guard Auxiliary website gives a brief description of these requirements.

Note that many states do require a "boating safety card" or something similar for all recreational boaters. Florida requires boaters born in 1988 or later to pass a boating safety course.

I was always under the impression that if the boat is over a specific length or tonnage, you were required to have a Captains/Master's license. :confused:

I was always under the impression that if the boat is over a specific length or tonnage, you were required to have a Captains/Master's license. :confused:

Not in the US to operate your own boat. Now, elsewhere, there are different requirements and 24 meters is generally a cutoff.

Not in the US to operate your own boat. Now, elsewhere, there are different requirements and 24 meters is generally a cutoff.

WOW! I learned something today. So I can operate a 100' recreational boat with no license in the USA????

Hey Admiral, you know that boat I was looking at the boat show......:eek:

WOW! I learned something today. So I can operate a 100' recreational boat with no license in the USA????

Hey Admiral, you know that boat I was looking at the boat show......:eek:

Almost....

However, like most things there is a but..

You must be able to insure it. Also, if not US flagged you'll get into pilotage requirements in Alaska.

There are many owners operating such boats without licenses.

Last edited:
I think it's a self-limiting thing anyway. As boats get bigger, fewer and fewer owners want to operate it themselves, and instead want a crew. I'd bet the percentage of owner/operator boats over 100' is very small. 75' give or take seems to be the transition point.

How about Caribbean countries, anyone has information?

Unless its been changed, 65" and up pleasure boat required operators license.

No they don't. Not in the US. In various states, some form of certificate or course is required. However, no captain's license.

Very few owner operators have Captain's licenses unless they were in the business. In fact, when we were getting ours, many people told us we were crazy to get them, to spend the time and effort.

Might some insurance companies require the Capt. License ?

They might but typically more interested in the experience than the license if owner operator. If you've operated a 90' boat for decades, they won't have an issue with you moving up to 100'. However, if you're jumping up from 50' to 80' most will require a captain for a while or one to train and sign off on your skills.

Having a license does help with insurance if you are buying & insuring your fist boat. At least it helped me....

Having a license does help with insurance if you are buying & insuring your fist boat. At least it helped me....

Keep in mind though that you also had experience. Obviously, you can't have the license without experience, but you can have experience without the license.

The licensing makes little sense in many countries.

Australia is similar to the US. We require the same basic licence to operate an inflatable dinghy with a 2hp outboard, as with a 100 foot 5000hp recreational boat. Luckily, the insurance companies keep some control on the situation, although it is not overly consistent.

It is too bad that the professional licensing system is so over the top in its requirements, that it cannot be easily applied to the world of recreational boating.

Its a choice of a cheap one day course, or a very expensive multi-year program.

In Brazil no-one can be found on the helm of a power boat unless is less than 5 meters long and has an engine of less than 4.5 kw without a proper license.
There are 4 types of recreational licenses: one specific for Jet-skis, one for Inland and bays, a higher one for coastal waters (called Master's), and if you want to go to international waters you need a Captains license, that is easier to obtain than a professional captains license, of course, though it includes stellar navigation and the like. All licenses require that you attend to a course that includes practical lessons, and a presence exam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom