USCG documented vessel name change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodstock

Vessel Name
Pawseidon
Vessel Make
Navigator 4600
Upon closing on our boat in December, the applications for changing the ownership and vessel name were submitted to the CG per their requirements.
With the holidays and now the government shutdown, I suspect this will take longer than normal to get the new Certificate of Documentation back.
My question is: Can I go ahead and put the new name on the vessel now or do I have to wait until I have the new certificate in hand?
Thanks!

I would go ahead with the name change. As soon as you submitted the paperwork for the ownership change the old documentation isn’t valid anyway. I would change the name and carry copies of all the paperwork you submitted on the boat in case you are stopped. LE understands that the CG is behind usually, and now moreso, with the paperwork. So it is normal not to have your documentation for a while after a purchase. My documentation service provided me with a letter stating that the paperwork had been submitted and to carry the letter as “proof” that it had.

Right, go ahead and just keep a copy of the application. You will be waiting for months.

Upon closing on our boat in December, the applications for changing the ownership and vessel name were submitted to the CG per their requirements.
With the holidays and now the government shutdown, I suspect this will take longer than normal to get the new Certificate of Documentation back.
My question is: Can I go ahead and put the new name on the vessel now or do I have to wait until I have the new certificate in hand?
Thanks!

We feel your pain, we in the same boat (pun intended) without the name change. :eek:

Changing the name of the boat, hmmm, Poseidon (or is it Davie Jones???) may not be too happy about that. I forgot to perform necessary rituals once and was stricken with bad luck for several years. Make sure to appease the old man :oldman:

I went through the same issue with the CG last spring, as stated earlier you HAVE to change it due to your seller sending in the sales document also, Also was told to print out the status of your paperwork just as extra backup , you can find that on the Doc Center website.

Changing the name of the boat, hmmm, Poseidon (or is it Davie Jones???) may not be too happy about that. I forgot to perform necessary rituals once and was stricken with bad luck for several years. Make sure to appease the old man :oldman:

Agreed, I had several people ask me if I was going to change the name of the new to us boat...No way. We are not superstitious, but why take the chance. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom