Old 02-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
USCG Documentation and State Registration Question

My question is specific to Texas and USCG Documentation.

I'm berthed near Galveston Texas, and I cruise my boat in Texas and Louisiana and that will not change for a while.

If I let my USCG Documentation lapse, what changes except I do not pay the $65 renewal every year?

Texas will make me put Texas numbers on the bow of the boat but the registration fee of $150 for two years stays the same.

So where is the downside to dropping USCG registration?

Thanks
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

City: Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: malu lani
Vessel Model: Albin 27 FC
I think I just read somewhere that the USCG is changing the doc requirement to 5 year renewal period? Anyone else heard this? Ben
tego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Documentation renewal is $26 per year, not $65.

And as I recall they were evaluating a 2 year renewal period, but I don' think it has progressed beyond evaluation. I have not hear about a 5 year period.

For your cruising, there probably isn't much benefit to documentation, however if you have a boat loan your lender might require it because it's generally viewed as better assurance of clear title.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
according to this link, the bill you're referring to passed in the house. It must now pass in the senate, be signed by the president then it becomes law:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1987

From an article I read about it the other day they are expecting the 5 year renewal to kick in 2017 or 2018

Edit: if you want the actual text it's section 312 in the "Text" tab. Here's the content:

SEC. 312. CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS.
Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Department in which the Coast Guard is operating shall issue regulations that—

(1) make certificates of documentation for recreational vessels effective for 5 years; and

(2) require the owner of such a vessel—

(A) to notify the Coast Guard of each change in the information on which the issuance of the certificate of documentation is based, that occurs before the expiration of the certificate; and

(B) apply for a new certificates of documentation for such a vessel if there is any such change.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
according to this link, the bill you're referring to passed in the house. It must now pass in the senate, be signed by the president then it becomes law:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1987

From an article I read about it the other day they are expecting the 5 year renewal to kick in 2017 or 2018

Edit: if you want the actual text it's section 312 in the "Text" tab. Here's the content:

SEC. 312. CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS.
Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Department in which the Coast Guard is operating shall issue regulations that—

(1) make certificates of documentation for recreational vessels effective for 5 years; and

(2) require the owner of such a vessel—

(A) to notify the Coast Guard of each change in the information on which the issuance of the certificate of documentation is based, that occurs before the expiration of the certificate; and

(B) apply for a new certificates of documentation for such a vessel if there is any such change.
Cool, thanks. 5 years would be nice.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
H.R. 4188 is awaiting the signature of the President. Within its contents is essentially:

(Sec. 311) The Secretary shall issue regulations that make certificates of documentation for recreational vessels effective for five years and require a vessel owner to: (1) notify the Coast Guard of each change in the information on which the issuance of the certificate of documentation is based, and (2) apply for a new certificate of documentation for the vessel if there is any such change.

You can follow progress of the legislation here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/4188

I'm sorry I can't address your initial question.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
My documentation came in the mail today!!! We bought the boat in the middle of September. It took 4 1/2 months, but I have it now. I am glad that the renewals are going to 5 years, it may help cut down on the workload and enable the documentation center to get the new documentations out in a timely manner.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
This is good news. I just renewed mine for 2016.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
FF
Guru

When you finally sell your boat the USCG doc. is an easy way to show there are mo liens against the boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Given the cost of owning and operating a boat, I think this is one thing worth keeping up to date, if you need to sell in a hurry I'd rather have it them rush and have the CG re-instate it.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Where I am at:

Texas says I cannot just drop Coast Guard Documentation. I must apply for and get a de-listing document from the Coast Guard. $$

With this de-listing document I can apply to Texas and get a title. $$ Once I have the title they will let me register the boat in Texas.

I do not have a lien so no one is pushing me in that regard.

I just went online and paid the $26 to renew my Coast Guard Documentation. I have to show that to Texas to get registered in Texas for the next couple of years.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The numbers are ugly.

Ok, if you weren't documented, there would be no strong reason to become so. However, since you already are, there's no good reason to change that and de-list. Unless there was a compelling reason. I would just stay as is.

If you ever move there may be advantages to documentation as some states don't require registration of documented boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tego View Post
I think I just read somewhere that the USCG is changing the doc requirement to 5 year renewal period? Anyone else heard this? Ben
The Coast Guard Reauthorization Act of 2015 passed in late December. Starting in 2017 a certificate of documentation will remain valid for five years. Boaters will need to reapply for a new certificate if there is a change in their address or a new home port.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote