USCG Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does the REAL Coast Guard sent out a renewal letter, or now you have to keep track yourself??

Next the USCG will charge $75!!

Yes they do.
Image1496416593.423425.jpg

On their website and social media sites, in plain sight:

U.S. Vessel Documentation Inc. is a private company, not the U.S. Government.

US Vessel Documentation, Inc. is NOT the National Vessel Documentation Center; we are the nation's #1 rated agency that handles USCG Documentation processing to NVDC.

Devious- yes. Illegal- not in my opinion.

I agree that the website is more direct about being a private company.
The "reminder letter" they send out is very deceiving and is purposely vague. When I got mine, I really thought it was the CG and my guard went down. to the point, I only scanned the webpage.
Once enough people find out about this scam, the cash cow will dry up, to the point, they won't make enough money to even pay the postage to send out these letters.

Everyone spread the word. Tell all your boating friends that have documented boats to only go to the actual CG website and pay $26, not $75.

They already heard from me by phone this morning. To them I say "bring it".

There are a lot of threads here and on other boating forums about this scam. Others have disputed and got there money back. Good luck on getting yours.

For those who fell for this, like me, look at your new document. You have probably lost a month, maybe 2 of renewal. My old one expired 5/31/17. My new one from this company expires 4/30/18. I have read a few posts where people lost 2 months.

Unfortunately, they don't depend on repeat business or all the business so even as we inform more people, they just hit up more and still make money. Their biggest cost is mailing. Good thing we don't have email addresses on our documentation.

Unfortunately, they don't depend on repeat business or all the business so even as we inform more people, they just hit up more and still make money. Their biggest cost is mailing. Good thing we don't have email addresses on our documentation.

As more people find out about this, fewer and fewer will fall for this scam. Eventually, so few will renew with them, that the little bit of income will be so small, it won't even pay the postage. There's a lot of expense running this renewal scam that at some point, costs will exceed revenue. Let's keep getting the word out so this cash cow dries up.

As more people find out about this, fewer and fewer will fall for this scam. Eventually, so few will renew with them, that the little bit of income will be so small, it won't even pay the postage. There's a lot of expense running this renewal scam that at some point, costs will exceed revenue. Let's keep getting the word out so this cash cow dries up.

And if this scam ever runs out, they'll be on to the next. However, this one has been going on for years so doesn't seem to be slowing them down. I think those here fail to realize the extremely small percentage of boaters who use internet boating forums. Then like all spam mailing, it only depends on a very small rate of return. 1-2% is great for them.

And if this scam ever runs out, they'll be on to the next. However, this one has been going on for years so doesn't seem to be slowing them down. I think those here fail to realize the extremely small percentage of boaters who use internet boating forums. Then like all spam mailing, it only depends on a very small rate of return. 1-2% is great for them.

The $75 renewal probably has been going on for quite some time. I'm guessing the "reminder letter" is something fairly new. Without that letter, the renewal is probably small change.

Our friend who runs the Marina Cafe in Port Townsend received a letter from the same bastards (oops, did I type that out loud?). However, because they had unknowingly let their USCG Documentation lapse, this "company" charged them not only a processing fee to reinstate but a fine as well. Total? $450! She did a modicum of research and even called them, all the while thinking she was dealing with the actual USCG. So she actually gave them her credit card number...

I let her know she had been "scammed", and because it was within 24 hours she was able to cancel the credit card charge. Whew! Anyway, she has since renewed her documentation properly. And at much, much less expense!

They probably have lots of other scams going besides USCG Documentation. Perhaps they are the same outfit that tries to sell you a registered copy of the deed to your property.

off the mark warning

I ran into the same total lack of ethics recently, importing a Mercedes from Ca to BC.
Canada Customs requires proof that all recalls have been properly done, and suggests 3 ways to get that proof. 1 A "recall clearance letter", 2 A copy of the full dealer service record, or 3 A web printout from the mfg website, showing the results of the inquiry on your specific VIN #.

I tried for #1, got through tp the end of a lengthy conversation with a clerk at Mercedes US, and was told the letter would issue as soon as I paid $350US.
I have done this 4 times before, 4 other brands/types of vehicles, and never was I asked to pay.
I then tried #2, was told by the local Dealer that, though they had the full service history, Mercedes US wanted $350 for the "proprietary" recall information. The Dealer suggested I try #1.
I then searched for #3, got onto MB-US site that gave me the printout free of charge.
Everyone I have spoken to before or since about this has either paid the $350 or thought there was no way to avoid it. IMHO it is unethical for MB to charge the unwary for what they give away free elsewhere. I think they are duty bound to tell customers up front about the free website, or do as other mfgs do and send the #1 letter free, and/or the #2 free. Anything short of that is sharp practice.

So your Doc fee of 75 instead of 26 is less bad, though still a scam.

OK ok my fault, all on me, solo. The letter they sent looked official, as did the website. Called my credit card company and the $75 had not posted yet, so I got it disputed and erased but had to get a new card number, which in this case, was a good thing. The letter was from U.S. Vessel Documentation.

Good luck on your CC dispute....fighting disputes is what these guys do, and they know the process well. I have been disputing with Capital One now since February with still know success. In thirty days the charge will reoccur and you will have to appeal the decision. Get prepared to supply an explanation and your proof the charge was wrong. Cancelling is not a reason for a refund in their fine print. File a complaint with the FTC is what the CG will tell you to do. In addition to your efforts with the CC company.

I wish I would have gotten a letter from these folks.
I would have been happy to pay $75 to get my document renewed on time.

It's cost be $2000 to be in Costa Rica an additional two months.

I wish I would have gotten a letter from these folks.
I would have been happy to pay $75 to get my document renewed on time.

It's cost be $2000 to be in Costa Rica an additional two months.

Same here. I never got a reminder letter from the CG or anyone else trying to scam me. I called up the CG documentation folks and it turns out they had the address wrong. So my documentation lapsed and I had to refile. It's now it's "in the process" they say, although they initially lost all my paperwork I sent them.

I'm trying to go to the Bahamas in a month so I hope it gets done in that time frame. Any ideas on how I can call them to speed the process up? [emoji23]

The USCG is very clear that even though they will try to send us a letter, we are the ones that are ultimately responsible for ensuring our registration is renewed on time. Most of us have a schedule to remind us of maintenance items, I would suggest adding CG and state registration to that list.

FWIW, if you renew online, it is very quick (in government terms). I think I received my registration in the mail a couple weeks after I renewed.

Slight thread drift ahead...

The subject of Documentation is the short chain in my locker... I've never had a reason to know much about it; my current boat is the first vessel I've owned which would fall in to the weight requirements I've read on the topic in the link below - however I am currently operating on inland waters. I've assumed since I am not having a Customs in/out country thing it wasn't necessary.

="https://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/tonnage/docs/Brochure_Documentation_and_Tonnage.pdf"

The boat I have now was at one time documented but expired before my ownership. From my interpretation of the above .pdf and other FAQs at USCG it says domestic vessels operating for basically commercial (fishery, etc) use or the transportation of passengers. Does this "passenger" component include those guests aboard for a day, I.e., non-fare? Am I being confused by the commercial aspects of what I've read?

As I have no lien on the boat, there is no lender requirement. Operating on a lake, I've previously assumed state registration was sufficient. Before I trouble someone via a phone call, I thought I'd ask here.

Apologies for the squirrel hole; I certainly now know to avoid the scammers should I have to renew the expired USCG reg.

Thanks,
Gary

P.S.- yes, [passengers] is also a term when implied with respect to life jackets... guess I've tended to think of that in terms of "souls". Maybe I've answered my own question?

Guests are not paying passengers.

Documentaion is rarely required ....if never.... for recreational vessels unless required by a lender for a preferred morgage.

It is often suggested for international travel as now the foreign countries have to deal with the US government too a small degree if detaining the vessel.

"my current boat is the first vessel I've owned which would fall in to the weight requirements I've read on the topic in the link below"

The "tons" the USCG talks about are volume measurements , not weight.

Even though my boat is federally documented (and now it's on the Missouri River in South Dakota, about as far from salt water as you can get in North America) I think for the great majority of recreational or personal-use boaters, it's just a cache' thing. It's more nautical. Almost all of us still have to title and register the boat with the state we're in anyway, making the fed documentation even more pointless. Unless you're going to sail beyond Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, I don't know what practical benefit it gives you. Well, I do like my bow nice and clean without the clutter of state registration numbers, there's that. I keep the fed doc current for sentimental reasons. Xanadu came from Narragansett Bay and someday it will sail past Pt. Judith again.

(On the title thing, I know, you're not supposed to have a state title floating around with federal doc, but tell that to state DMV in just about any state not touched by ocean.)

The USCG is very clear that even though they will try to send us a letter, we are the ones that are ultimately responsible for ensuring our registration is renewed on time. Most of us have a schedule to remind us of maintenance items, I would suggest adding CG and state registration to that list.

FWIW, if you renew online, it is very quick (in government terms). I think I received my registration in the mail a couple weeks after I renewed.

I agree 100%! If you document your vessel, documentation is the one most important piece of paper on your boat..It is NOT the USCG's responsibility to remind you to register your boat.

For those who believe it is the USCG responsibility to notify you of renewal need to grow up and become a responsible owner!

It does sort of support the claims of the $75 documentation company as to the legitimacy of their business to see those who forgot their documentation renewal was due. Call it a $50 reminder and for many a free reminder as getting the notice has reminded and driven them to renew without paying the extra money.

I put a reminder in my iphone that is recurring each year to renew the documentation in case I don't get the letter from the CG.

Net tons is a volumetric measurement from the early days when typically a ton of cargo took up 100 cubic feet. Most boats around 26'+ meet the 5 net ton requirement in order to be documented. The net tons exclude machinery spaces since that isn't cargo carrying areas.

Most people don't need a documented boat. If you have a larger boat with a loan, the mortgage company will probably want it documented so they can have a first preferred mortgage as was mentioned. Also it is good if you go international as was mentioned. And some people just like having a documented boat.

I've read a few posts where boatowners say they don't get reminder letters from the CG. I don't understand why not. I always have. If the CG has a wrong address in their database, which is possible, the documentation agent uses the same address. Either you get letters from both or not at all.

Add my name to the list of people who simply do not like having numbers on my bow

Same here. I never got a reminder letter from the CG or anyone else trying to scam me. I called up the CG documentation folks and it turns out they had the address wrong. So my documentation lapsed and I had to refile. It's now it's "in the process" they say, although they initially lost all my paperwork I sent them.

I'm trying to go to the Bahamas in a month so I hope it gets done in that time frame. Any ideas on how I can call them to speed the process up? [emoji23]

Do it direct online $26 with official site. It's quick!

My documentation expired so I had to resubmit all the forms again they said?

I'm swear I have a mental impairment when it comes to bureaucratic forms and procedures. I always seem to screw them up for some reason.

....I'm trying to go to the Bahamas in a month so I hope it gets done in that time frame. Any ideas on how I can call them to speed the process up? [emoji23]

Your vessel doesn't have to be documented to go to the Bahamas. Is it state registered somewhere? That's good enough for the Bahamian government if it is. All they want is some sort of registration and in your case, $300. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom