Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Ok, I read it - hard to do because the link viewed in the TF app pops to an ad that never appears. Copied it to a browser...

So...some of the specifics may be wrong, but the important points - power came to fishing boats, trawlers had trawl nets, fishing boats became pleasure boats, Art Defever was a pioneer - is that really so far off base?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #22

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
"Today’s oceangoing trawlers draw elements of design from all over the marine landscape — and maritime history. Their efficiency, flexibility and near-universal appeal have been influenced by fishing boats, sailboats and the earliest engine-powered vessels.
Trawlers are the mighty arbiters of the seafaring world, a rare hybrid that appeals to power boaters and sailors alike. It’s hard not to love these jaunty live-aboard ships, dapper to look at and comfortable both underway and at rest."
My point was, what's wrong with the above? The gist of the article is positive about boating--so why not endorse it... If I wanted to be hyper-critical as many on TF seem to be, I'd launch into a discussion about the improper use of reflexive pronouns....
(please forgive that mean spiritedness--I'm really a pretty friendly and forgiving guy...)

Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
More trawler types?

I just signed the petition to kick all the transients out of the Chesapeake for the season....
Whats a Jersey Boy care about Chesapeake transients?
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I'm with Timjet on this. Why all the negative vibes here fellow boaters?
Because these days as the country gets dumber and dumber anything in print is increasingly seen as being as gospel even though a great deal of it is utter crap. And inaccurate crap at that.

Some people who know better--- fewer and fewer of them it seems--- don't fall for the "if it's in print it must be true" BS. Reminds me of that lady in the snake oil commercial awhile back who says, "If it's free, it must be good."

USA Today, which was created decades ago specifically to hook in the ADHD crowd who did poorly in school, and which probably knows about as much about boats as I know about the ethnic makeup of the suburbs on Mars, is simply pandering to the same reader gullibility as all the publications of its ilk.

Of course if the truth be known, USA Today, like all the popular US media, could give a crap about accuracy or credible information or even the subject matter. All they care about is readership which is how the advertising rates are set. So anything, accurate or not, that will suck in readers is seen as well worth printing. In that regard USA Today is little more than a tabloid in a tuxedo.

So they hatch up an article on expensive boats aka the lifestyle of the rich and famous which is always good for a hefty helping of panting readers, hang a bogus term on them, then chalk up a bunch of "facts" that are anything but, and the majority of their readers swallow it hook, line, and sinker. And USA Today can go to Ford and Budweiser and say, "See?" and charge them an additional $2,000 for their ads.

It's not an article about boats, it's an article designed to suck in the Instagram and selfie crowd.

Fortunately, the folks who know better, the Tad's and psneelds and so forth, aren't shy about calling them on it, not that it will change anything.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #25
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Early trawler yacht

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mareva.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	43312  
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Early trawler yacht

Ted
Yep
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #27

so you're condemning the newspaper for writing to the level of the readership. Criticism is easy. I guess my question would be, "What contribution have you made in your lifetime to raise the level of teaching in our schools or improve the critical thinking in our younger generation?"
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Wow....nice pic, Ted!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
so you're condemning the newspaper for writing to the level of the readership.
No, I'm condemning the newspaper for contributing to the falling levels of intelligence and increasing levels of ignorance (I suppose that's actually the same thing) in this country.

Quote:
Criticism is easy. I guess my question would be, "What contribution have you made in your lifetime to raise the level of teaching in our schools or improve the critical thinking in our younger generation?"
Well, let's see. I've written dozens of magazine articles for national aviation magazines on various aspects of flying a particular type of airplane. I've had six books published on a variety of subjects and am working on a seventh. For my employer I have conceived, written, directed, and edited thousands of films/videos aimed at making the air transportation industry a more successful, safer, efficient and environmentally responsible industry.

I can't say any of my work has been aimed at students in schools per se, although I guess you could say that students graduate, become adults and enter the workforce and so continue to need to learn stuff.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #30
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
The pic is from a sales listing.
I was on the boat last year,

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #31

Marin, I don't want to create animosity. Aside from a differing point of view here, we probably have a lot in common as the most memorable boat I ever owned was a GB 36. The point of my messaging was simply that the USA Today article seemed generally positive about boating and "trawlers." I just didn't understand why so many want to condemn the writer because the article contained some errors. At least he wasn't presenting boating as a lifestyle that was harmful to the environment and something that needed more regulation. Best to you,
Curtis
Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #32
Guru

City: Tampa
They lost me at $1 mill!!
Lol
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
The point of my messaging was simply that the USA Today article seemed generally positive about boating and "trawlers."
Just because something is written in a positive way doesn't automatically mean it's worth the paper it's printed on. I, and apparently other people on this forum who know something about boats, are not willing to excuse inaccuracies just because an article has a "positive" tone. What it is, at least in my opinion, is sloppy, inaccurate, lazy, pandering writing and I have no tolerance for it.

The assumption of papers like USA Today is that the bulk of their readership is too stupid, uneducated, ignorant or lazy to figure out for themselves what's fact and what's fiction so they publish any old thing they want to as long as it keeps the readership numbers up.

The fact their readership simply rolls over and accepts it with the platitude that, well, at least their article was "positive" says more to me about the readers than it does about the paper. I know what what the paper is trying to do--- I came out of the commercial media industry. The paper's just trying to make money for the owners so they can afford the payments on their million dollar boats. (Actually that article probably allowed them to write off a good chunk of their boating expenses as "research")

USA Today isn't all bad. I read it occasionally overseas on assignment because it's sometimes the only English language paper available in the hotel. They do have some pretty good guest columnists, for example.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
At least 2-300 people may read your opinion of an article read by 2-3 million people.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #35
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Here are two things I know about newspapers:

1) They are in business to make money
2) Everything I have ever seen published on a subject about which I am knowledgeable has been riddled with inaccuracies

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #36
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Early trawler yacht

Ted
Trawler yacht two and a half decades later

Richard :-)
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #37
Guru

It`s a superficial article written for a broad range of readers. I wouldn`t expect it be researched to the "n"th degree. It`s a thin not in depth newspaper I pick up overseas by default. Something for the masses on boating is better than nothing.
Newspapers here are little more than advocates for the kind of politics they support, I filter the reports for the political bias of the publisher. Knowledge, and intelligence, are not the same thing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #38
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I thought it was appropriate that they credited Art DeFever as they did, but it would have been better to highlight a DeFever rather than a Fleming.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I think an article like that does more harm than good; particularly to those of us who call our boats trawlers. To the great unwashed readership of the USA Today comic book, your "trawler" is now a million dollar dream boat and virtually unachievable to the regular hard working proletarian, and therefore should be taxed accordingly.

Welcome to the perceived 1% club.

Hopefully this article will be drowned out by the fact that Rosie O'Donnell's daughter is home safe, thank God!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #40

[QUOTE=Marin;359983]" they publish any old thing they want to as long as it keeps the readership numbers up. "

Marin,
So how is that different from this forum? It seems to me that there are many inane threads started on this forum. Might they be posted just to keep the traffic up so that the owners of the web site can tell the advertisers how many "hits" they're getting?
I'd be interested in your thoughts about the capitalistic underpinnings of TF and what the profits are from keeping the "readership numbers up." Do you have a financial interest in TF? Do you know who the owners are?
By the way, I'm personally glad that the paper is trying to make money for the owners--since when is free enterprise a bad thing?

Signing off this thread now--I'm going to spend the next 10 days cruising on my boat. I give you the last word. Hope no hard feelings. Cheers!