Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Long Time Dead
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
USA East Coast

Good morning- we have been cruising in our trawler for a year, starting from SoCal, up to to Alaska then down to Panama to Colombia and DR and PR and T&C and now in Bahamas. We are trying to decide whether to continue the trip up the east coast to Maine (our original plan). Our draft is nearly 7 feet so ICW is not attractive. I've asked a number of people about the east coast and have received strong opinions to go AND not go.

If we do decide to continue north we'd have around 10 weeks starting 6/15.

Appreciate any advice or opinions.

Jeff
bigpoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
Guru

I'd go!
We are east coast cruisers who spend much of our time between Connecticut and Down East Maine. It is beautiful here...
It does get crowded but weekends are the worst and it is certainly not crowded enough to miss.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The only people I can guess that say no to the East Coast probably live in compounds and have limited scopes of interest.

Its like people who say no to the west coast from here. Show them a picture of the inland passage on a beautiful day or Baja....and they yawn but get goose bumps at night time skyline shots of New York. Just who are these people?

Sure you cant get to many places on the ICW...but there are hundreds of great, interesting, and historic destinations that 7 feet of draft is no problem.

Cruising is exploring to a point...why not explore?

I would be ecstatic to be able to explore both coasts extensively...even if it took decades.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
Draft will limit you somewhat but there are still many places to go and see.
e.g.
St. pete
Key West
Miami
Savannah
Charleston
Several places in the Chesapeake
Philadelphia
NYC
Nantucket
Boston
Many locations in Maine

these deeper water areas come quickly to mind. IMO only the short season limits you
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There are sections of the ICW that you will want to avoid with a 7' draw at low tide. But with some planning around the tides, you could do almost all of it inside. Or do some portions offshore. Nothing to be afraid of. Well worth seeing.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
Guru

No don't come up to Long Island sound it's way too crowded here!
LOL seriously I could name a dozen awesome anchoring holes without even looking at a chart where 7 ft is no issue.
If you head this way send me a pm and I'll offer all the local knowledge I have of eastern LI sound.
Happy cruising
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Since you traveled the hardest parts already, why not take a nice leisurely cruise up the east coast!?
Chesapeake, Cape May NJ, New York City, North Shore of Long Island, Conn River, Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Boston, P Town, Gloucester and tons of locations in Maine, Camden is our personal favorite and Northeast Harbor a close second.
GO!!!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #8

City: Tewksbury, MA
With a Nordhaven 55, should be no problem taking the "outside" up the East Coast if ICW is not for you. Or a combination of taking "inside" and "outside". Once you get as far as Long Island Sound, a whole new world opens up. Long Island, NY, Conn, Block Island, Cutty hunk, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, Plymouth, Boston, P town, Gloucester, NH, Maine, Casco Bay and down east Maine. All these areas have great harbors with deep water and is the New England treasure that is a cruiser's dream in the summer months. To die for. If you need specific harbors, coves and marinas, just ask, there are numerous amazing places to see and enjoy. Don't miss New England! LOL, Dan
DPTrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
A lot of positive things have been said about the LI Sound area, and I agree. But for sheer beauty, nothing beats Maine. I have spent two summers there and can say with some certainty that Maine is the prettiest cruising area in the US (and maybe the planet).

I ran into a circumnavigator on his last leg home (to Iceland) in Northeast Harbor on Mt Desert Island near Bar Harbor in Maine. He said that he was blown away by Maine's beauty, rugged coastline, pristine anchorages and I might add plentiful mussels if you know where to look. And he was comparing it to some of the nicest places in the world.

If I were in the Bahamas now, I would head straight for Block Island, explore eastern LI Sound for a month and then get to Maine by July 1st and spend a couple of months there. You can make it to BI in 5 days straight through from Marsh Harbor which you obviously can do if you came from the west coast.

Your draft will be mostly irrelevant in LI Sound, Narragansett Bay, Cape Cod Bay and points NE.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There are lots of great places.

Many places are visited by ocean going ships and large fishing boats...no challenge at all for 7 foot draft....way more than the west coast south of Puget Sound.

read the thread of visiting Washington, DC via the Potomac, or Philadelphia via the Delaware.

I would be sad to think that if you have never spent any time in either looking into the USAs history and future...that these wouldn't be 2 great destinations.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for the feedback!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. big. Why stop at Maine? Keep going north. Although I've never cruised the area by boat, I've visited by land and there is also LOTS to see on the Canadian east coast although you will have to contend with 45'+ tides in some locations as I understand...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Absolutely do it. The joy of a boat like yours is cruising varied areas. The East Coast is like nowhere you've yet been.

As to your draft, I'd recommend cruising much as we do and that is going from area to area on the outside and just doing short runs to destinations inside. However, following tides and charts you can really do fine inside, it's just not our choice. Check out areas in advance. Many of the areas are major ports and clearly have access for boats much larger than yours, with much deeper drafts. An example of planning is that there are areas of Georgia you definitely wouldn't want to cruise at low tide. However, tide varies by 8' so clearly high tide wouldn't be an issue. We've cruised the East Coast extensively with drafts up to 6'6" so not far from yours.

What kind of tender or dinghy do you have?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Our dinghy is a 12' inflatable center console with a 50 hp yamaha
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppop View Post
Our dinghy is a 12' inflatable center console with a 50 hp yamaha
There will be some great opportunities to use it to explore as well in areas where your draft is too much. Not areas you must transit but off the path a bit and interesting. Savannah is the first example that comes to mind. We like to dock downtown and then take the RIB and go explore around all the islands in the river plus the National Wildlife Refuge.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
I would definitely do it. It will round out and top off the great experience you have had so far.

I've got to hand it to you, Jeff, you started out totally green, and have really pulled off this trip, getting past all sorts of obstacles. It's great when people jump in with the commitment you have and make a dream come true.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Draft will limit you somewhat but there are still many places to go and see.
e.g.
St. pete
Key West
Miami
Savannah
Charleston
Several places in the Chesapeake
Philadelphia
NYC
Nantucket
Boston
Many locations in Maine

these deeper water areas come quickly to mind. IMO only the short season limits you
Beaufort/Morehead City, NC
Oriental, NC
New Bern, NC
Ocracoke, NC

Manteo is about the only restriction with your draft.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Trenton
Unless you have run aground, you are not really cruising.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #19
FF
Guru

he hassle in Maine is some fog , and lots and lots and lots of lobster pots.

Daylight is required to avoid the lobster pot strings .

And the water is really cold for swimming.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Not ever having cruised on the East coast and since you have already done all that you have, there is NO WAY I would miss the opportunity! Do it!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote