Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #41
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Upper vs Lower Helm

Norwester, what make/model is your boat? Your radar arch/aft deck hardtop totally changes your boat- looks awesome! Picture attached of our lower helm.*

I love the "permenant" mounted chair at our lower helm- very comfortable (though not a STIDD!!), great sight lines, etc. and rotates so someone can sit there at anchor and talk with everyone in the salon. *Sight lines facing aft while at the lower helm are not great but the window right next to the helm chair opens so I can also just poke my head out the window! * *Our flybridge helm has forward facing seating for 3 and seating for 4-5 aft via free standing chairs. On the few hot days we had her in the water when we first bought her and prior to hauling out to begin our refit/move to TN, cruising from the bridge with my feet propped up= GOOD TIMES! *I would not use the lower helm as much if it did not have a solidly mounted helm chair like it does.

For comparison purposes, here is a video shot underway from our lower helm:

And here is one shot from the bridge while underway:

P.S. love the grandkids pics!

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 12:06:05 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helm evening.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	3595   Click image for larger version

Name:	bow sunset.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	3596   Click image for larger version

Name:	lower helm chair.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	3597  

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

RE: Upper vs Lower Helm

Woodsong,
Our boat is a Westcoast 46.* There were 23-24 of them made in Mission, B.C. from 2004 through 2008.* The story is that Forbes Cooper and his production manager found the molds for the 43 Tollycraft lying in a field in Washington State.* They thought that it would be perfect for their new project, but the cockpit was too small.* They lengthened the cockpit by 3 feet and built a new boat out of a 30 year old Ed Monk, Jr. design.

Our boat is not a trawler, buy an cockpit motor yacht.* However, our boat and one other are powered by a single 270B Cummins, instead of twins.* That means we don't really plane.* The boat is happiest around 7-9 knots and will get up to 12-13 knots at the top end. *

I've attached a picture of the lower helm.* I have a movable chair because of the configuration of the salon.* It's not really a good solution and I have to come up with something different.
Lyle
Lyle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	copy of from tofino 08 to bessie 09 012.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	3598  

Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

I think the useability of the fly bridge depends to a large extent on how you access it.
On an aft cabin configeration you have the first two steps on to the deckhouse over the cabin trunk then three steps up to the flybridge itself, this is quite differnt from the verticle ladders that saloon configeration boats have, they are definately more of a challenge. Of course pilot house boats have the best of both worlds.

We use the flybridge almost all the time , in fact we have only used the lower helm twice in 11 years.All you need is a good set of 'clears', warm jacket and good bottle of red.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Norwester

I have a friend with a WC 46 who does all of his piloting from the upper helm. Fog, big waves, rain - you name it. He is one tough Canuck.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #45
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Upper vs Lower Helm

I added a helm seat, firmly attached to the floor. I made an extension*which allows it to be used tall, when driving the boat, or as a std. height seating chair. It slides back enought so if it gets really rough I can stand at the lower helm to drive. I added a strong handhold at the helm.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 08:09:22 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helm handrail 007.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	3599   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside helm seat lowered.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	3600   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside helm seat raised.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	3601  
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #46
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:I have to show off my grandson too

I like your little seahorse.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

There is a point that has been missed in all of this discussion and that is separation from the Admiral. I do not mean this with any disrespect to any of the SO's out there. But the flybridge allows you to gt away from each other when on long trips...this is a healthy thing. You are spending DAYS couped up on this little piece of fiberglass. Getting away from each other for a few hours in such a small space is quite a luxury. I will be piloting, she would be down below reading and sleeping and having "lazy time"....all is well for both of us.

This was on the P29. Now with the Mainship we can't get away from each other. Even on Moonstruck's INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL flybridgeless sedan, you are still right next to each other the whole trip. Anyway, just a thought...

And I want to reiterate, this is with all dues respect to the SO's out there....inluding my wife. Looking at her is easy.......but it is nice to able to get some separation.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:I like your little seahorse.
SD
__________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks SD!* As most of you know, I've had my share of boats since 1995, but for the stage of life I'm in now & the boat's normal mission, this boat suites me to a "T".

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Baker wrote:

There is a point that has been missed in all of this discussion and that is separation from the Admiral. I do not mean this with any disrespect to any of the SO's out there. But the flybridge allows you to gt away from each other when on long trips...this is a healthy thing. You are spending DAYS couped up on this little piece of fiberglass. Getting away from each other for a few hours in such a small space is quite a luxury. I will be piloting, she would be down below reading and sleeping and having "lazy time"....all is well for both of us.

This was on the P29. Now with the Mainship we can't get away from each other. Even on Moonstruck's INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL flybridgeless sedan, you are still right next to each other the whole trip. Anyway, just a thought...

And I want to reiterate, this is with all dues respect to the SO's out there....inluding my wife. Looking at her is easy.......but it is nice to able to get some separation.
LOL.* But if I am not up on the flybridge with him how is he going to send me to get him stuff?* Oh right, we DO have an intercom!*

I am usually sitting with him, "on watch," when he is driving and he even lets me drive sometimes.* * Maybe it is a habit from our sailing days but we like to have two people paying attention.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #50
TF Site Team

Upper vs Lower Helm

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 11:55:35 AM

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 12:34:04 PM
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Baker wrote:Okay another argument for flybridges......
WOW! At my age I had almost completely forgotten this environment. I might have
to change my opinion of having a flybridge.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #52
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Baker wrote:Okay another argument for flybridges......
WOW! At my age I had almost completely forgotten this environment. I might have
to change my opinion of having a flybridge.

Yep, this is cause for some serious reconsideration.* All this while I'm still trying to figure out why I sold my Mainship.***

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #53
TF Site Team

Sorry, I didn't mean to cheapen the argument....I will delete....

But I will stick with my point about separation!!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Baker wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean to cheapen the argument....I will delete....

But I will stick with my point about separation!!
oh dang I think I missed something good. *LOL.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #55
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that Baker did NOT post a picture of his helm.....?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Upper vs Lower Helm

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

LOL.* But if I am not up on the flybridge with him how is he going to send me to get him stuff?* Oh right, we DO have an intercom!*

LOL?* This is serious business.* ...* There*are a lot of positive*things about having*my LTGF live in her own home.**Thus, in my situation, having two separate bridges on the boat are unnecessary because whenever we're together it's because we want to.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 04:19:34 PM
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #57
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
* Mr. Woodsong.* Nope it wasn't a helm picture it was more of a transom shot.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #58
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Upper vs Lower Helm

*Seahorse,

I ment the little one behind your grand Admiral.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 04:19:24 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #59

We looked only at boats Without a lower helm when we bought Victoria last year. Our cruising is confined to the Florida and Caribbean where we enjoy the view and especially the ability to see our way throught the 'thin waters' and coral heads that are abundant in the Bahamas. Our Bridge does have a hard top though with a full enclosure and is comfortable in pretty low temps (here in Central Florida, that's high twenties for us) with the windows closed. Plus we gained a nice wet bar where the lower helm would otherwise be!
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #60
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

Yes, One must look seriously at the + & - of upper vs lower and the type of cruising one does and when.. None of these configurations will fit us all.

For us we used to kick the frozen lines free of the tie rails, push the snow off in winter. In the side seasons it was heavy rain and I had to change the old, crappy wipers to good ones. A few years we played ice breaker, thankfully, not often and the ice wasn't more than about 3/4" - 1" and i'm guessing somewhat soft. Sure made a funny noise on the hull. Never lost more than paint.

Of course we had lots of sunny, warm weather where the bridge was nice. But we had to account for our already proven willingness/foolishness to go out in crappy weather and we decided we needed a good inside steer station.

We know many folk over the years , that come the end of September, and the cold weather that the boat is essentially put to bed, particularily if they cannot get to a dock. We didn't want that.

Our previous boat was an express cruiser that had a real hardtop and side windows. ALthough cold we were dry, no dripping canvas, and we could dress for the cold. It was this boat that really decided us as winter boaters.

But if your situation is different or you have enough money/determination to add real protection on a bridge, Or don't need it, the game changes.

Just be mindfull of your intended use and choose accordingly.

I noted the comments about loose seats. That could be fixed with the installation of a floor mounted lift ring pad, a piece of 1/8" S.S. wire rope and a pelican hook to secure the thing so it cannot topple.

And good luck with your choice. The game is fun and will change regardless of what you choose.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote