Old 02-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #41
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Stubones-thanks for the tip on Fast Flow pumps. I had not heard of them. I checked their site and their smallest pump for a 2" shaft pumps 24,000 GPH to a 100' lift. That is pretty amazing. Recall from an earlier discussion, a 4" hole flows at around 15-16,000 GPH. And according to them, it operates as a blower when not actually pumping. Could you plumb the outlet into the exhaust piping-perhaps close to the thru-hull? Interesting, I did a search on Amazon looking for a price and what came up was fast-flo breast pumps! Not quite the same thing.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #42

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Wow, great stuff!
My two little upgrades that come to mind:
1) My dealer was delivering a ST 44 in rolling seas when the main saloon doors slammed closed and broke the cheesy lock / latch. With no easy way to secure the door the damned thing was then out of control and banging, unless dead bolted in the open position.
I installed an additional whiteboard "keeper" tight to the jamb (see the far one in the photo, the 2 near ones are stock) which now allows me to deadbolt the door tightly closed or open a few inches. Great security at night while still allowing ventilation if needed.

2) I installed an audible water alarm which sounds on the fly which will alert me to water in the main bilge. The original design has no alarm on the fly as alarm on stock bilge pump only sounds at lower station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	49372  

rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #43
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Stubones-thanks for the tip on Fast Flow pumps. I had not heard of them. I checked their site and their smallest pump for a 2" shaft pumps 24,000 GPH to a 100' lift. That is pretty amazing. Recall from an earlier discussion, a 4" hole flows at around 15-16,000 GPH. And according to them, it operates as a blower when not actually pumping. Could you plumb the outlet into the exhaust piping-perhaps close to the thru-hull? Interesting, I did a search on Amazon looking for a price and what came up was fast-flo breast pumps! Not quite the same thing.
I think the amazon breast pump would be somewhat less effective as a bilge pump...

If you plumbed it into the exhaust, I would be worried about that much water hitting the exhaust pipe and unless it is pointed out to the stern, if ANY went back against the flow, it would flood the engine. Better to make a high thru-hull well above the water line for the fast flow bilge pump.

If I recall, the cost of one pump was $650 for a kit but it was a while ago. Best call them if you have questions.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Dang it....timing is everything, this boat is less than 2hrs from my house.
This seems like incredibly low hrs?
2013 Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Cervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
That's really not that low hours for the age. Used it two years it seems but I'd guess interest waned considerably in the second year. I'd want to know why but don't think it would be possible to find out. Moved on to other projects doesn't answer it for me. Why was this boat not right for them? There are many good reasons but some that would concern a buyer. Survey will find out though.

There are many boaters who use boats less than 50 hours per year.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #46

[QUOTE=rclarke246;419300]Wow, great stuff!
My two little upgrades that come to mind:
1) My dealer was delivering a ST 44 in rolling seas when the main saloon doors slammed closed and broke the cheesy lock / latch. With no easy way to secure the door the damned thing was then out of control and banging, unless dead bolted in the open position.
I installed an additional whiteboard "keeper" tight to the jamb (see the far one in the photo, the 2 near ones are stock) which now allows me to deadbolt the door tightly closed or open a few inches. Great security at night while still allowing ventilation if needed.

Here is a better photo, (even though it came through oriented 90 degrees to the left).(?)

Also, I added a 12v power outlet near the stereo in the salon which powers and old iPod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	49559  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #47

Rub Rail

I'm considering adding a more effective rub rail, high near the cap rail, starting at the midship cleat. The bow flair renders the stock rub rail pretty useless on near the bow.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
I spent quite a bit of time researching the ground issue when I bought a new Beneteau sailboat in 2006. If you look at the literature, you will find that the camps are pretty evenly split between experts who say everything should be grounded and bonded or should not be bonded. I know of no historical record that supports one side or the other. Beneteau, as the largest boat maker in the world, probably has a pretty good database to examine and deciding this issue.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I spent quite a bit of time researching the ground issue when I bought a new Beneteau sailboat in 2006. If you look at the literature, you will find that the camps are pretty evenly split between experts who say everything should be grounded and bonded or should not be bonded. I know of no historical record that supports one side or the other. Beneteau, as the largest boat maker in the world, probably has a pretty good database to examine and deciding this issue.
They probably do. However, I read more problems with their thru hulls (and electrolysis, etc.) than I read with those of all other boat builders combined. There is a problem. What magnitude I have no idea. Nor do I know what the cause of it is. It is however something they need to address. We have several members here who have encountered issues.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #50

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
CeeBee-

Are those underwater lights installed through the hull, or did you run the wiring above the waterline?

Interesting about how you prefer exterior blue lights as easier on the eyes.
Hey Makobuilders Yes the underwater lights are through hull below the waterline and were installed on a haul out.

The reason for preferring the blue light (other than it looks cool is probably simply that the blue LED's are a lower intensity light than the previous white lights thus easier on vision at night. I believe there is also some thinking that a low intensity Blue-Green colored light technically is the best for retaining night vision in general.
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #51

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Interesting I didn't know the 34 was powered by Cummins, the 44 is Volvo Pentas which I am "so so" with. The engines have performed without fail but the EVC alarm system is a pain in the ass. If an alarm goes off (which is somewhat frequently as it can be a micro second of low voltage) there is no way to identify the fault code for a mere mortal. You have to call a Volvo Mechanic for the explanation of the "secret code" I have stalked the codes online and not found them published anywhere so you literally have to call a volvo mechanic with the fault code to understand what the issue is which is totally stupid. If anyone has them please share
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 AM   #52
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
The reason for preferring the blue light (other than it looks cool is probably simply that the blue LED's are a lower intensity light than the previous white lights thus easier on vision at night. I believe there is also some thinking that a low intensity Blue-Green colored light technically is the best for retaining night vision in general.
Any amount of light will tend to trash your night vision. If you have very short wavelength light (close to 400nm) you won't activate the red or green color receptors and will keep the rods from being bleached out as well. This will maintain your night vision, but you won't have the visual acuity to see detail. That is fine if you aren't going to need to read anything for example. However, that short a wavelength would be a very dark violet, not blue. Green would be the worst for messing up your night vision.

Red is used traditionally for nighttime nav chart use because it keeps the red cones activated to give decent visual acuity, but at close to 650nm won't activate (therefore won't bleach out) the Rods and blue and green cones.

So I think anyone who things the pretty blue underwater lights don't hurt their night vision, is really fooling themselves. The only thing that can be said is that it is better than white light. Blue will also "light up" the water more do to Rayleigh scatter than say a red light would.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, coastal, emily b, equipment, swift trawler 44