Unwelcome debris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Came back to the boat and while docked I was left with this unwelcome site. Fortunately fiberglass does not catch fire easily. I'm looking for a successful way to remove the black burn mark without grinding and fiberglassing. Anyone used a quick and easy way to remove the surface burn? Doesn't look like the gelcoat has melted.....

Thanks
Norm

IMG_0674.JPG

Forgive me for asking but was this something from your own crew or something from an unknown dock walker?
I would be livid in either case!
Bruce

Greetings,
Mr. S. I'm a smoker and even THAT disgusts me. I'm in the process of cleaning up blemishes on our small boat and the first thing that comes to mind regarding that stain is paint over it. Auto stores carry touch-up paint in small containers in a wide variety of colors. Might be able to make that burn "invisible".

For example: Duplicolor Paint (Scratch Fix) ACC0362 - Read Reviews on Duplicolor #ACC0362

Forgive me for asking but was this something from your own crew or something from an unknown dock walker?
I would be livid in either case!
Bruce

Dock walker, unfortunately I have one of my cameras shooting Bow forward and the Aft camera facing the rear. May be time for another aimed down the dock side.....

try some "on and off" (same as ospho?) before you go for the paint. It's a VERY strong cleaner. I've had luck removing rust stains, scum lines, and other stuff that I thought there was no hope for.

Try a little oxalic acid. I.e. Bar Keepers Friend. Mix a paste and let it sit. Or FSR which is also oxalic acid I believe.

First try TSP, or if hard to find dishwasher powder soap, usually its TSP.

Bar keepers friend with a brush might get it out.
Once I found two burned out votive candles on my side deck, someone placed them there from the dock. luckily they were the kind that come in a little tin saucer so didn't scorch the deck when they burned out, but they did drip melted wax, that came of fairly easy.
I never found out who did it.

Spottsville.

Sorry to hear about this. Damn shame. One thing I have done is use #7 glaze with an orbital buffer. Also bug remover for cars. I have used both on the same dirty spot. First the bug remover rubbing by hand. then the #7 rubbed by hand then buffed out.

Cheers and good luck.

H.

I'd try some VIM (softscrub) or Comet and a nylon stiff brush

Probably any of the above will take the worst out, don't be in a hurry after to apply paint, remember the Sun is a great bleaching agent with time.

I'm with ya on trying the least aggressive first. I'll start cleaning on it and see what works..... it did not burn into the gelcoat like plastic will do which was good. Thanks for all the ideas! I'll post an after photo.

Disgusting. I saw someone drop a lit butt out the car window at traffic lights. Got out, picked up the butt, offered it thru the open window with a cheery "Hey, you dropped this", she hesitated too long, dropped it in her lap.
I hope the marks come out.

Some people are just pigs. From the one dropping the bud out to the ones emptying the ashtray on the parking lots. Here the law force people to smoke 9 meters from any doors on the pavement, you should see the line of bids around the non smoking area! I am not saying that all smokers are like this, and have nothing against smokers, just that humans are often careless.

"I saw someone drop a lit butt out the car window at traffic lights."

Far worse is tossing it out the window with a motorcycle behind!

Disgusting. I saw someone drop a lit butt out the car window at traffic lights. Got out, picked up the butt, offered it thru the open window with a cheery "Hey, you dropped this", she hesitated too long, dropped it in her lap.
I hope the marks come out.
My wife did that to someone who threw a fast-food bag of wrappers and such out there window. The look on there face was priceless.

Looks like gelcoat applied with a home depot texture roller. Dont forget the surfacing wax. IF all the above fixes/cleanings dont work.

I'm wondering if it was a dock walker or someone who actually boarded your boat to smoke. Either way it infuriates me.

Some #$%^&*() threw a lit cigarette on my first, new car within a month of ownership. :angry::angry::angry:

Thankfully, the dealership was able to get the mark off without a problem. :thumb:

But that @#$%^&*() who threw the lit butt did it on purpose to hit the car. We never had a butt in the yard or driveway before or after.

Later,
Dan

The other day a marina neighbor was telling me about using Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads for getting crap off your gelcoat. I'm going to give those a try next time I need to get some scuff marks off the hull.

The other day a marina neighbor was telling me about using Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads for getting crap off your gelcoat. I'm going to give those a try next time I need to get some scuff marks off the hull.
Just remember that Magic Erasers are just glorified pieces of very fine sand paper.

Just remember that Magic Erasers are just glorified pieces of very fine sand paper.

Yup. And when done, the gelcoat will be abraded and will tend to collect dirt even faster. Need to follow it up with a fine compound buff and wav to avoid it.

Ok...on the cig burn here is where we are now. We tried many of the suggestions offered (Thanks again for the input) but so far success has not come. We started by trying a Magic Eraser with very little effect. Then we tried Scrubbing Bubbles (no effect). Then Bar Keepers Friend (again no effect). Then Oxalic Acid (made it a little lighter) since it works so well on rust. Then Clorox Foaming Bleach (which also made it a little lighter in color). For now we are just letting the sun work on it since nothing used to date has really made a big difference......

Anyone know something else to try?

IMG_0849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 65
Ok...on the cig burn here is where we are now. We tried many of the suggestions offered (Thanks again for the input) but so far success has not come. We started by trying a Magic Eraser with very little effect. Then we tried Scrubbing Bubbles (no effect). Then Bar Keepers Friend (again no effect). Then Oxalic Acid (made it a little lighter) since it works so well on rust. Then Clorox Foaming Bleach (which also made it a little lighter in color). For now we are just letting the sun work on it since nothing used to date has really made a big difference......

Anyone know something else to try?

View attachment 68108

Personally I would just leave it alone.
As long as it's exposed to the Sun.
Give it a few months, I expect it will slowly disappear.

Back
Top Bottom