Old 08-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddare0351 View Post
The other day a marina neighbor was telling me about using Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads for getting crap off your gelcoat. I'm going to give those a try next time I need to get some scuff marks off the hull.
Just remember that Magic Erasers are just glorified pieces of very fine sand paper.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Just remember that Magic Erasers are just glorified pieces of very fine sand paper.

Yup. And when done, the gelcoat will be abraded and will tend to collect dirt even faster. Need to follow it up with a fine compound buff and wav to avoid it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #23

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Unwelcome debris

Ok...on the cig burn here is where we are now. We tried many of the suggestions offered (Thanks again for the input) but so far success has not come. We started by trying a Magic Eraser with very little effect. Then we tried Scrubbing Bubbles (no effect). Then Bar Keepers Friend (again no effect). Then Oxalic Acid (made it a little lighter) since it works so well on rust. Then Clorox Foaming Bleach (which also made it a little lighter in color). For now we are just letting the sun work on it since nothing used to date has really made a big difference......

Anyone know something else to try?

[ATTACH]68108
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0849.jpg  
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
Ok...on the cig burn here is where we are now. We tried many of the suggestions offered (Thanks again for the input) but so far success has not come. We started by trying a Magic Eraser with very little effect. Then we tried Scrubbing Bubbles (no effect). Then Bar Keepers Friend (again no effect). Then Oxalic Acid (made it a little lighter) since it works so well on rust. Then Clorox Foaming Bleach (which also made it a little lighter in color). For now we are just letting the sun work on it since nothing used to date has really made a big difference......

Anyone know something else to try?

[ATTACH]68108
It looks to me like it's going to take paint. Notice I said paint and not gelcoat. Most gelcoats have color codes that can be matched through conversion charts by marine paints. I would bet your builder knows the color code for the paint you'd need. You'd just do a small area very lightly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #25
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Personally I would just leave it alone.
As long as it's exposed to the Sun.
Give it a few months, I expect it will slowly disappear.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote