Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
First time buyer needs help

I am looking at a 1986 Fu Hwa 34 sedan with Twin Volvo TAMD 30A engines no bow thruster but has many other upgrades. The engines have 1600 hours on them. I like the layout and the condition of the trawler but the engines are making me nervous. How many hours can they run before they fail? Worst case scenario what would be the ballpark cost to repower the vessel? I wish it had Lehmans in it I am a nervous wreck.
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Welcome Busterbrown. The hours a marine engine can run are largely dependant on the care and upkeep they have received by previous owners but 1600 hrs is considered low in my opinion. Have a good diesel mechanic check them out thoroughly. Generally some of the engine components can fail long before the main engine parts require replacement eg. alternators, water pumps, heat exchangers etc. I'm sure you will hear from some folks on here that Volvo does not support these older engines and parts may be hard to find and pricey. Having said that I have a Volvo TMD40A and so far so good! Re-power with twins would likely be cost prohibitive.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input LaBomba, How many hours do you have on your TMD40A and do you know of any good online parts suppliers? Thanks, Mike
Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you are a "nervous wreck" that is the wrong boat for you - keep looking, there's lots out there.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
Unhappy Volvos Tough but expensive for replacement parts

I have twin Volvos TMAD60C 250 hp. The engines will go many times 1600 hours. The parts are where the rub comes in.
I get mine from Fred and Marine parts express
fsidelinger@marinepartsexpress.com

Good service an a little discount from OEM.
My wife and I looked 45 boats in our search. With our budget we were limited to a low price range when we found this ole boat sitting up for 7 neglected years.
@ TheOffice

We discovered this truth. Most adds don't show the warts. There are very few truthful brokers. Keep looking. I wanted Yanmars because I used to teach a class on them. However the admiral wanted THIS sundeck. At that point it would not have mattered if the boat had hamsters for engine power.
I still miss my Island Packet
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
If you are a "nervous wreck" that is the wrong boat for you - keep looking, there's lots out there.

Couldn't agree more.

When the right boat "picks you" the only nervousness you'll feel is somebody beating you to the purchase. The only regret you'll have is when you look back at it on your way to the car when leaving to go home.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #7

City: Redlands
When I was looking, I found a boat about that vintage with Volvo's. What stopped me was parts. A friend suggested that I pick a few parts I might need and try to find them. I did and passed on the boat. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck,
Arch
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I have calmed down and just need to find a good Volvo mechanic to look at the motors if I plan on moving forward on this trawler
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
Thanks for the input LaBomba, How many hours do you have on your TMD40A and do you know of any good online parts suppliers? Thanks, Mike
I have about 1200 hours on ours, just broke in! I was fortunate that our boat came with about $10,000 in spare parts from a salvaged vessel from hurricane Katrina. I have a shaft, turbo, entire gauge package, starter, alternator, injection pump, wiring harness, manifold, etc etc. so to be truthful I haven't really needed to buy anything that I couldn't get locally (knock wood).
Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
hi, I'm a newbie on TF but pretty well up on diesels.
Most diesel engines are good for the equivalent of 500,000 miles before any overhaul if serviced correctly.
I know it's not your side of the pond but try Volspec.co.uk for Volvo parts and also search out local Volvo plant dealers for basic engine parts as many of their dinky diggers have the same engine. Some small Volvo trucks also used the engine but may be sold over there under the White Freightliner truck brand.
Another source of parts is shipwrecksalvage.net
If your not familiar with engines I would recommend an oil analysis and pressure test covering the cylinders and cooling system which will give you a good indication of the condition of the engines.
I hope this is helpful
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote