Old 08-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
To unobservant dummy, it is gonna cost ya

I was out in my Boston Whaler Montauk trolling 2 rods. 4/0 Penn with 35lb mono line and you in a a twin outboard FISHING boat as I turned upon leaving the no wake zone to make a wide 180 to troll back to the west at the drop off you hammered your rig and scooped up one of the lines. You had been following me for sometime in the no wake zone. How did you miss I was trolling??

Things got crazy on the Whaler. The wife took the helm, and for a fleeing moment I thought I had a big one, and I did, a 28-30 footer as the clicker indicated as it was singing at a high pitch. I cranked down the drag until the line snapped. I retrieved over 100 yards.

In a few months when you either have lower unit trouble or if you are lucky and pull maintance on your lower unit the milky oil will tell the tale. Either way, new seals will almost certainly be needed, at worst a lot more. Sadly, for you, this is gonna cost you and since you were oblivious you will not even know why and how easily avoidable it would have been. Oh well, there is no vaccination for stupid. Not to worry, I can re-line my Penn.

Writers note: I would expect this from a pimp boat like a Baja, Sea Ray floating Condo and that sort but a fishing boat on the way out to troll...

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You were trolling in a no wake zone?

Is the no wake zone in a channel of some kind? Or the ICW perhaps?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

Writers note: I would expect this from a pimp boat like a Baja, Sea Ray floating Condo and that sort but a fishing boat on the way out to troll...
So you think that people with nice boats (like a Sea Ray, or a Baja) in general are inconsiderate, or unknowlegable.

I was kinda feeling sorry for what happened to you before I read that part of your post.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
On balance, this is a nicely written reminder that "defensive driving" and assessing and respecting the intentions of other vehicles (especially if they were in position first) is as important on the water as it is on land. Experienced fishermen know to watch out for trailing lines out... I prefer to think that the boater who rolled over your lines was just inattentive and had no ill-will. I have seen too many arguments on the water about position and proximity, and credit your attitude and restraint, to keep things from blowing up.

Quote:
Not to worry, I can re-line my Penn.
Hey, look, it's also testament to Penn reels, from Senators to Internationals, they're pretty much bulletproof and well-supported by the mfr. I'd much rather be resetting a worm gear than replacing an engine seal. Glad the rod didn't shatter, too - nice job!

Hope you and the wife were able to laugh it off over a fish dinner that night.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Guru

Way over to the edge, within 25-35 yards of the bank at the drop off to 30 feet through the no wake zone. Then I started a wide turn to the left, slow, less than 5 knots.Where I was there was no danger of boats approching from the side. The channel was largely empty, no traffic. Had he just taken a hard left, then a right and passed on my left then no prob, instead he went between me and the bank, right where the dragged lines were. When he passed I was 100 yards or so from the edge. My back was to him, I really was not concentrating on him, I was driving to the front. I did not even realize what had happened, first thought I had a fish, then thought I was hung, then I realized the boat that was getting smaller had the line.

There is no rule, that I know of not fishing this area. It is a wide inlet, he was the only boat anywhere around, and the only one in sight underway. In retrospect perhaps I should have close hauled the line for the turn. Even still, he was not being observant and I did not anticipate his stunt, for that I am guilty.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
So you think that people with nice boats (like a Sea Ray, or a Baja) in general are inconsiderate, or unknowlegable.

I was kinda feeling sorry for what happened to you before I read that part of your post.
I have been waked too many times by the described boats. Salty boats seldom wake me. I realize there are many considerate captains of those rigs, but here at the Marina the term "Sea Ray Driver" is in the vocabulary. It is not a compliment.

Two racing SR cruisers 40 footers, came out of a feeder canal banked into at a 90 in the ICW near Datona going very fast, staggered. It was all I could do turn into the wake to keep being from forced into the bank. Wife went flying landing on her ass, I had the wheel for stability. By the time we stabilized, even grabbing the binoculars I could not get a boat name. Hence the cheap shot.

I would have thought a fisherman, driving a fishing boat would have been capable of recognizing a trolling fisherman, as described in the OP. Don't feel sorry for me. My lower unit seals are just fine.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Were you displaying the appropriate "fishing day shapes".
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
Guru

Naaa, my swim suit was up and the wife's top was on...we are between 65-70.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: kemah
You turned "wide" left from the right hand side of the channel in front of him as he followed you. Why would you think his proper maneuver would be to his left and placing him on a collision course with you?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Naaa, my swim suit was up and the wife's top was on...we are between 65-70.
The world thanks you for that.

mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
So you think that people with nice boats (like a Sea Ray, or a Baja) in general are inconsiderate, or unknowlegable..
Yes, interesting comment. Our previous boat was a Sea Ray. I found most SR folks to be decent people, and knew what they were doing...there are always exceptions. The CSR forum is a good website with very knowledgeable folks. Many of them have been boating for decades and spend a lot of time on line helping each other.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Dragging fishing lines across a channel? Sounds like a bad move. Even if that was a good idea assuming there was no local traffic, you should at least drag a marker for others can figure out what you are doing.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Some threads are a hoot! This is one of them. LOL.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
As with most of the time when one gets angry at the other guy or comes here to blast them, there are probably two sides to it. We seem to assume that things people do are intentional.

As to Bajas and Sea Rays, I'm afraid not enough Bajas being sold to create a real problem but better be careful about Sea Rays since they greatly outnumber you.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
The world thanks you for that.

Yep!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
You turned "wide" left from the right hand side of the channel in front of him as he followed you. Why would you think his proper maneuver would be to his left and placing him on a collision course with you?

Because I had bent rods. In truth I do not GAS, but I did NOT turn in front of him. He made the choice, not me. Bottom line. (Get it line?) he was not paying attention to the boat in front. I started the turn long before he made the decision to cut the corner. Like I said, his boo boo and most likely, his checkbook.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sorry, Mule, but you seem to think you're "entitled".
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
Guru

I think the vindictive aspect bothers people. The German word "schadenfreude" means deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others. Understandably, there is no word for it in the English language.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Dragging fishing lines across a channel? Sounds like a bad move. Even if that was a good idea assuming there was no local traffic, you should at least drag a marker for others can figure out what you are doing.
Well at 3-5 knots, taking ing up less than 20% maybe 10-15-% of the inlet, I can live with that.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sorry, Mule, but you seem to think you're "entitled".
And just HOW is that? I hold NO animosity toward this guy. I spend a few dollars respooling my reel, so what!!! I am "entitled" to troll an inlet, not bothering anybody, with expectation of being left in peace.

Please explain ENTITLED???

Look, I feel for the guy. He will pay the price. Just WTF should I have done???

Oh please, oh wise one, Please give me guidance. As your humble servant, if you insist I will put all my boats on the hard. After all, being a taxpayer I have an entitled attitude therefore no rights according to you..

So please Mark-whatever, what would you have me do? I am awaiting your wise guidance so I can adjust my life accordingly.. Please help me. Do I need to mothball my Whaler and 38 foot Trawler because I have an "entitled" attitude?

How far do want to take this? My attitude is I want to live in reasonable peace W/O insensitive , unreasonable AH intrupting that peace. I try, very, very hard to do the same. I follow the rules, and it is unreasonable for me to expect others to do the same, or I am (labeled by you) as "entitled".

Please explain. Good luck with that.