Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
You turned "wide" left from the right hand side of the channel in front of him as he followed you. Why would you think his proper maneuver would be to his left and placing him on a collision course with you?

Because I had bent rods, and I was going less than 5 knots against an incoming tide.. Bottom line, my Monofilament, his lower units. I do feel for him.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #22
Guru

oK armchair "experts" what have I should have done. Step up. What would have done other what I have already outlined? I admitted that I should have short hauled, I pointed out that I started the turn while he was on a straight line course. What should I have done???

Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
so, you turned in front of another boat trailing fishing lines (not entitling you to be stand on) and you're upset they crossed your lines? Am I wrong?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Relax and take your trophy

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471222183.906066.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	55246

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
You turned without insuring their was adequate clear distance to allow your lines to make it across without catching someone. Trolling across channels like that at slow speeds like that inherently creates a risk.

Now, you say he should have known. How? He knew he had plenty of clearance from your boat. Did he have some obligation to look and try to figure out if people were trolling behind the boat and across the channel? You created an invisible hazard.

I admit to not being a bit fisherman and I've certainly never trolled in a no wake zone, in a narrow waterway, and especially haven't trolled across a channel like happened here.

How were you trolling for the lines to remain so near the surface? How far behind your boat was he when he hit the lines?

I ask this seriously as I don't see how I would have personally avoided your lines.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Wifey B: May I have some please?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I think the vindictive aspect bothers people. The German word "schadenfreude" means deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others. Understandably, there is no word for it in the English language.
Perhaps so. But I do not GAS. I am polite, I extend common courtesy in life. I back down, when given the chance. I take no pleasure of this unnamed guy sucking up my mono... But I do regret that that he will never know his FU so he will not repeat. I only started this string to point out...stay alert. Or it may cost you. This unnamed guy will likely pay, for that I am sorry....but he set the table by placing his head where he should not have. The BEST part of this is that his FU does not cost anyone a siginificant price....line is cheap.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
so, you turned in front of another boat trailing fishing lines (not entitling you to be stand on) and you're upset they crossed your lines? Am I wrong?
I turned to the left. He was going straight.... I DID not cut in front of him in any way.. .I got into a u turn lane, with bent rods
Old 08-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You turned without insuring their was adequate clear distance to allow your lines to make it across without catching someone. Trolling across channels like that at slow speeds like that inherently creates a risk.

Now, you say he should have known. How? He knew he had plenty of clearance from your boat. Did he have some obligation to look and try to figure out if people were trolling behind the boat and across the channel? You created an invisible hazard.

I admit to not being a bit fisherman and I've certainly never trolled in a no wake zone, in a narrow waterway, and especially haven't trolled across a channel like happened here.

How were you trolling for the lines to remain so near the surface? How far behind your boat was he when he hit the lines?

I ask this seriously as I don't see how I would have personally avoided your lines.
Operative term, "not being a fisherman". I, apparently assumed, with outriggers, he would have known. He did not.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Relax and take your trophy

Attachment 55246
Considering OTDE........ Nice.... I realize that considering the source...thank you..... I take it with pride.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
oK armchair "experts" what have I should have done. Step up. What would have done other what I have already outlined? I admitted that I should have short hauled, I pointed out that I started the turn while he was on a straight line course. What should I have done???

Still waiting for a logical alternative answer different than what I did or admitted that I could have done...what I could have done, bear in mind I had NO obligation to do.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
I turned to the left. He was going straight.... I DID not cut in front of him in any way.. .I got into a u turn lane, with bent rods
Really your bent rods are irrelevant. They're not in his path. More relevant is you turned left and he was going straight.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Operative term, "not being a fisherman". I, apparently assumed, with outriggers, he would have known. He did not.
You assumed? So you could see him approaching and made the turn based on assuming he was a fisherman and would have known you were trolling well behind at near surface levels?

No, the Searays you disparage are not fishermen either.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Still waiting for a logical alternative answer different than what I did or admitted that I could have done...what I could have done, bear in mind I had NO obligation to do.
You should have made sure there was no one within a distance to cross your lines. At the minimum if crossing you should have had something showing the lines behind. Otherwise you should have pulled your lines in before crossing where another boat was crossing. Had you done any of those things there would have been no incident.

One option not mentioned either is delivering a warning to him over the VHF that you were trolling and the lines were there.

Are you saying he shouldn't use the channel? That he should obviously know you crossed with the trolling lines where they would get him? That he should continue at no wake even outside the no wake zone? What is it you're saying he did wrong?

I can say this, as much as I've cruised, I am not aware of anyone ever trolling across the channel in front of us. I see sportfishing boats off the coast running at trolling speed and I do keep a good distance.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Mule, feel your frustration. My charter boat runs 15 knots. The big boys run 30+. Don't know why they have to climb up my transom in the inlet. Would another 30 seconds really make that much difference in their day?

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #37
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Were you displaying the appropriate "fishing day shapes".

Nope. They would be 'not' appropriate. Trolling elicits no protection or special status under Colregs. Trawling on the other hand.....

Mule: From your explanation: you did a u turn in front of the guy. Your fishing gear did not have the time to get pulled behind you in time to be on your side of the channel. You are responsible for the gear not him. You sound as if you turned and met him on a port to port meeting. Fine. Trolling lines don't afford you fishing boat status. So your gear may have indeed fouled his lower unit. I wouldn't be proud of accomplishing this. Jmho.

Think of it this way. If you did this in front of the other guy and he was trolling also, who would get yelled at for fouling lines? The guy on the straight course? Or the guy who turned in front of?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I think the vindictive aspect bothers people. The German word "schadenfreude" means deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others. Understandably, there is no word for it in the English language.

I think the closest word is Ambivalence.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You assumed? So you could see him approaching and made the turn based on assuming he was a fisherman and would have known you were trolling well behind at near surface levels?

No, the Searays you disparage are not fishermen either.
You said "approching". I never said that. What part of "HAMMERED" and "From my perspective" did you not understand? Checking before starting the slow turn, he was FOLLOWING. And a long ways back.

As for the Sea Rays I disparage, reputations are generally earned, not awarded w/o reason.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Whenever possible, I attempt to avoid fishermen's lines even if their location isn't appropriate. Fortunately, the skipper of the Predator anchored in an appropriate spot:

Have observed fishing boats anchored in the middle of channels (bad form!) but none have crossed closely in front.