Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #21
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
Is giving your SS# really required? Just feel uneasy giving out this information with all the breaches taking place.
Don't worry. It's out there already.

[I]a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
The truth is out there Scully!

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Don't worry. It's out there already.
Yup, pretty much everyone's SSN can be easily obtained these days by someone that wants it. Hence why its important to keep your credit profile locked at all times except for a short duration when your credit is being run.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #24

City: Bohemia Bay
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack 15m
The skinny on the $20/mo unlimited AT&T

I just spent the last several hours (on and off) looking into this. As of 5pm today, this is what I found.
1. Have to order on website only for this plan.
2. Mobley doesn't exist anymore for At&T. It is a device called Spark made by Harman.
3. There is no option for the $20/mo plan anywhere on AT&T's website to directly order. You have to choose the $30/mo plan and when you receive and activate the Spark you "must" choose the paperless and autopay options. Then the $20/mo plan will be applied.
4. This is defiantly not available at any retail store. Trust me I drove around to 2 AT&T and a Best Buy.
5. To use this on the boat, you must buy a OBD2 to plug-in power adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapter....c100005.m1851

I'll report back when the Spark arrives and activated.
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
For a new customer, yes, you have to.

Just re-lock your credit after. I dont even think its a hard pull.
Could you just order it in your business name and give them the EIN? I NEVER give out my SS number, too many idiots out there and so many low life clerks is will flow thru.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwex View Post
I just spent the last several hours (on and off) looking into this. As of 5pm today, this is what I found.
1. Have to order on website only for this plan.
2. Mobley doesn't exist anymore for At&T. It is a device called Spark made by Harman.
3. There is no option for the $20/mo plan anywhere on AT&T's website to directly order. You have to choose the $30/mo plan and when you receive and activate the Spark you "must" choose the paperless and autopay options. Then the $20/mo plan will be applied.
4. This is defiantly not available at any retail store. Trust me I drove around to 2 AT&T and a Best Buy.
5. To use this on the boat, you must buy a OBD2 to plug-in power adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapter....c100005.m1851

I'll report back when the Spark arrives and activated.
Unless they ran out of Mobleys today, that is incorrect. I know people that ordered their free Mobley on Friday and yesterday by calling the phone # I mentioned.

It is not possible to order the Mobley online. The Spark is very different. You do not want the Spark.

I just spent a few hours testing my new boat internet system. Mikrotik dual-band WiFi and Cradlepoint 850 LP6 going into a Peplink dual WAN router. Very excited to get the external antennas mounted on my mast in April!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Could you just order it in your business name and give them the EIN? I NEVER give out my SS number, too many idiots out there and so many low life clerks is will flow thru.
Almost everyone's SSN has been exposed or is very easy to get. I no longer worry about it. Keep your credit locked at all times unless applying for a mortgage/etc and re-lock as soon as the hit shows up. That said I do think it is or was available to business customers, didn't have to be a personal account. You'd have to add it to your existing business account though as I think it would be a PITA to create a completely separate business account just for a Mobley.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Unless they ran out of Mobleys today, that is incorrect. I know people that ordered their free Mobley on Friday and yesterday by calling the phone # I mentioned.

It is not possible to order the Mobley online. The Spark is very different. You do not want the Spark.
Thanks for the info. Did some Googling and see what you mean. I just canceled my AT&T order. Thanks for saving me the aggravation.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #29
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Yup, pretty much everyone's SSN can be easily obtained these days by someone that wants it. Hence why its important to keep your credit profile locked at all times except for a short duration when your credit is being run.
Ah yup, it's out there. Doctors and banks started this. Years ago my employer assigned our SS number as the account number. I pointed this out and they shrugged. Since, it has been fixed.
If their data is breeched, all we can do is pucker up and hold on tight.
"They" have little or no responsibility to keep your data safe. Good luck if you take them to court. "They" will bring a herd of lawyers.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Can this be used to make a mobile wi fi hot spot?

What else would I need to buy?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Can this be used to make a mobile wi fi hot spot?

What else would I need to buy?
You can make one or just put the SIM into one. if you make one simply need an ODBII to USB plug (I made my own) and then you can choose your power source (wall AC, battery pack, vehicle cigarette, direct wire to DC, etc)

Plenty of details on Howard Forum. Go to the 'Data cards' sub-forum under the 'AT&T' sub-forum
Old 02-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #32

All good things must come to an end.

Quote:
Called both numbers you mentioned and completely sold out with no new shipments expected. The first number said to call back in 2 weeks and see if anything changed. The offer probably expires by then.

However, I was told by the second number AT&T person that I could bring a Mobley to a store and they would sell me the $20/mo unlimited plan and activate the unit as long as it is AT&T compliant.

Went on Ebay and bought one. Seeing the secondary market prices for the Mobley shows that the word is out and these are becoming hen's teeth. I paid $169 and they are listed as high as $350!

I'll report once the device shows up and get it activated.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have unlimited wireless with Verizon. Where they get me is the 15GB limitation on a Hotspot. As long as I do everything on a phone or personal device, I'm fine. Trickier with streaming to an Apple TV to stream TV or work on a laptop.

It really depends on what you're trying to do with it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I recently signed up for T Mobile's 55+ plan with 2 phones, unlimited data, text and voice throughout USA, Canada and Mexico for a flat $70/month including all taxes and fees.

I've been streaming content to my Roku stick equipped TV and Alexa device at anchor without any real issues yet...but I've only been using it for a couple of weeks.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwex View Post
Called both numbers you mentioned and completely sold out with no new shipments expected. The first number said to call back in 2 weeks and see if anything changed. The offer probably expires by then.

However, I was told by the second number AT&T person that I could bring a Mobley to a store and they would sell me the $20/mo unlimited plan and activate the unit as long as it is AT&T compliant.

Went on Ebay and bought one. Seeing the secondary market prices for the Mobley shows that the word is out and these are becoming hen's teeth. I paid $169 and they are listed as high as $350!

I'll report once the device shows up and get it activated.
Ah that is a bummer that they ran out but if you got one for $169 thats not terrible. Best buy carries it from time-to-time as well. That is where I got my first one. I think its was $79 there and then I walked across the street to an AT&T store to sign-up/activate. If you have a FAN try to get it applied when you sign up. For me that saved the activation fee and I was getting 20% off for a while but then it stopped. I heard if you have multiple lines the discount will start working again (must be some $$ threshold you have to hit). I will see soon enough when the new bill is cut.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #36
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Almost everyone's SSN has been exposed or is very easy to get. I no longer worry about it. Keep your credit locked at all times unless applying for a mortgage/etc and re-lock as soon as the hit shows up. That said I do think it is or was available to business customers, didn't have to be a personal account. You'd have to add it to your existing business account though as I think it would be a PITA to create a completely separate business account just for a Mobley.
Mystery,

Easy, do it all the time, rarely run into issues, but sometimes do. I don't own anything in my own name and don't give out personal info. And often get business discounts. Works. When they give me a hard time, I have to decide what's best for me and often just pass on them.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
I've had a Mobley and the $20 / mo for about two years now. I also made my own custom OBDII power supply. It's worked great for the most part.

Unfortunately, a recent firmware push by AT&T disabled a "no timeout" feature in their powersaving mode. The max you can set it to is 2 hours now. So unless you are in a moving vehicle, it will time out and shut off every two hours. You just need to unplug it and plug it right back in.

There were some assumptions on some forums that it looks at voltage to determine whether it needs to go in to powersaving mode (i.e., a moving vehicle with alternator charging the battery vs engine off). My first power supply put out 12v. I made another using a transformer that puts out 14v.
No difference....it still powers off every two hours.

So it either looks for varying voltage or is using cell tower triangulation to determine if you are actually moving.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySky View Post
I've had a Mobley and the $20 / mo for about two years now. I also made my own custom OBDII power supply. It's worked great for the most part.

Unfortunately, a recent firmware push by AT&T disabled a "no timeout" feature in their powersaving mode. The max you can set it to is 2 hours now. So unless you are in a moving vehicle, it will time out and shut off every two hours. You just need to unplug it and plug it right back in.

There were some assumptions on some forums that it looks at voltage to determine whether it needs to go in to powersaving mode (i.e., a moving vehicle with alternator charging the battery vs engine off). My first power supply put out 12v. I made another using a transformer that puts out 14v.
No difference....it still powers off every two hours.

So it either looks for varying voltage or is using cell tower triangulation to determine if you are actually moving.
Hmmm, there have been very few reports of this since the beginning

There was never anything found to support the moving car or voltage fluctuation hypothesis

I never had an issue (even on the earlier firmware that had the timeout) with it but I recently decided to build an enterprise-grade setup so have moved the SIM to a dedicated cellular device.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
Quote:
Hmmm, there have been very few reports of this since the beginning

There was never anything found to support the moving car or voltage fluctuation hypothesis
It must be one of the two since it doesn't time out at all when used in my truck. As you probably know, there are only two of the 16 possible pins being used, so whatever they are using is pretty basic. Voltage or via the SIM.

I've seen quite a few reports of people with the latest firmware NOT having the 2-hour timeout issue even though that is what theirs is set to. I guess I'm just lucky.

I've also read a lot about how difficult AT&T is now making it to use that same SIM in another device. They are doing their best to lock it to the Mobely it was used on.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySky View Post
It must be one of the two since it doesn't time out at all when used in my truck. As you probably know, there are only two of the 16 possible pins being used, so whatever they are using is pretty basic. Voltage or via the SIM.

I've seen quite a few reports of people with the latest firmware NOT having the 2-hour timeout issue even though that is what theirs is set to. I guess I'm just lucky.

I've also read a lot about how difficult AT&T is now making it to use that same SIM in another device. They are doing their best to lock it to the Mobely it was used on.
Regarding the SIM being used in another device, took me one minute to get the PUK code to unlock the SIM via online chat. On my second Mobley I just got, I never even turned it on or touched the SIM, I just called AT&T with a spare SIM I had and asked them to activate it on the account and popped it right into a different device.

Since one device will be somewhat permanently installed on my boat in Spring, I will likely use a portable hotspot/mifi type device for my second line that I can carry with me when I am traveling away from home/boat.

Sure AT&T can change their minds and start hassling people but the plan writing said it was fine to use with any hotspot/device so its not going against their policy to do what I am doing.