Old 12-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I used to work for the Vancouver Aquarium as an aquarist in the mid 1970's during my undergrad years at UBC. I went on a short collecting trip on a small trawler and we dragged up an unbroken syrup jug with a cloud sponge on it. It had the union steamship logo on it. It came up on in the net next to a large boulder. How it didn't break after all that I'll never know. I gave it to a good friend of mine who used to ride on the ships in the 1920's and 30's.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #22

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
I used to scuba dive all around SE AK back in the day. ALOT ! I have dishes and cups and other china wear form most all the old steam ship Co's. the Alaska steam ships, the Canadian, the Canadian railroad steam ships, army, navy and many others... I had MANY tubs of the best stuff saved, put some int he museum here and have slowly been giving it away since its just sitting...

superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
I used to scuba dive all around SE AK back in the day. ALOT ! I have dishes and cups and other china wear form most all the old steam ship Co's. the Alaska steam ships, the Canadian, the Canadian railroad steam ships, army, navy and many others... I had MANY tubs of the best stuff saved, put some int he museum here and have slowly been giving it away since its just sitting...
How does that stuff end up in the water?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #24

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
What they tell us... for what its worth... is that most crews would often "wash dishes" by throwing them over... not sure if I believe it, but the dishes i kept are in perfect shape, no cracks or anything. not sure why else they would be thrown over...

We called it "junk diving" i have lots of glass bottles form the 1800 and many items well over 100 years old that I found just sitting on the bottom being perfectly preserved. now keep in mind that most the stuff you find is broken or damaged, but some of it isnt...
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Great post, thanks to all for their input.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
I just received an out-of-print book about the Union Steamship Company called The Good Company: An Affectionate History of Union Steamships by Tom Henry. Lots of stories about the ships and crews and terrific photos. On the first page is a great quote, one that I think sums up all the great skippers of this coast.

"You mean to say," the captain was asked, "that you know where every reef, rock and sandbar is in these waters?"
"No," he replied, "but I know where they ain't."

That's the kind of skipper I aspire to be around here.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
That's priceless.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Tad Roberts----

Thanks for steering me to the Critchley cannery museum. While we never found it (the people in Sayward we talked to know it exists but aren't sure where it is), it did lead us to ask the owner of Telegraph Cove, Gordy Graham, if he knew where it is. He had a vague idea, but he said that if it was information about Minstrel Island I wanted, he knows the former Minstrel store owner, Ernie Rose, who today lives in Coal Harbor.

Gordy got me in touch with Ernie and he and his wife and I and my wife had a wonderful evening talking about Minstrel and what it was like, how the buildings were laid out, what life was like in the community, etc. They invited us back the following Sunday to visit a fascinating little museum in Coal Harbor and then have dinner, during which we learned even more about Minstrel and the history of the area.

All this will be invaluable in the story I'm writing, so I really appreciate your giving me the tip that led us to meet and become friends of the Rose's.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #29
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Back when they were trying to make Sebastian Inlet (here in central Florida, east cost) they tried aerial bombs, then explosives, and blew out windows for 35 miles, and finally dug it with smaller explosives to break up the coral...

Apparently they thought a big blast would just blow a big trench, but all it did was remove the sand, and all windows within a 35 mile radius.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #30
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Back when they were trying to make Sebastian Inlet (here in central Florida, east cost) they tried aerial bombs, then explosives, and blew out windows for 35 miles, and finally dug it with smaller explosives to break up the coral...
I knew a man who used to fish there in the early part of the last century. He and his brother dug by hand the inlet. And Charner had a lot to say about the government's efforts to dig a straight line to the ocean.

He said it would always silt over because if you don't follow the natural course of the river, it will revert. He used to dig clams called quohogs. They were delicious raw. You dig with your toes.

Pocket knife on a string around your neck, and you're all set. Of course you have to bring Some home, but for some reason I wasn't quite as hungry when I returned to the boat as when I left.

Charner was an original Floridian. Born and raised here... used to own a lot of property in central FL bordering what became Disney. They lived in a town called Ormond Beach as I recall.

I'm almost positive it was Sebastian inlet but it's been a few decades since I met him and his wife Ruby...
Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #31
Guru

Ormond beach is about 120 miles north of Sebastian (and Sebastian inlet.) so most likely they are a little bit farther north from here. If I recall, they had a big Navy school and Vet hospital in Volusia county, but that's something I recalled.

Down south of Sebastian, at the south end of north Hutchinson island, the Navy had their first UDT school and now has a museum.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don't want to dupe all the text but on post #7 I see the Northland Girl.
My father operated and owned a boat almost identical to the "Girl" but a bit smaller at 21.5 X 103'.

TAD her name was Halawii. Not sure of the spelling. "Home of the sea" in some native Hawaiian language I assume. She was powered by a 268A DD. That would be 8 cylinders of 268 cu in each. A very long engine as the Roots Blower was on the fwd end of the engine .. 500hp. She was a 10 knot boat and (because she was refrigerated) mostly freighted meat for Carsten's Meat Packing Co to SE ports .. mostly Juneau. I spend some time aboard her in 1949 .. I was 10.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #33
Scraping Paint

Home of the Sea in Hawaiian is Halekai.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #34
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post

Apparently they thought a big blast would just blow a big trench, but all it did was remove the sand, and all windows within a 35 mile radius.
Funny, I grew up in the Cocoa area and never had heard Sebastion Inlet was man made. I just read about it on Wikipedia and the recent history doesn't surprise me at all. It is the worst inlet I have ever seen and I actually took a boat out to the ocean there a few times and scared the crew mightily. The stories about the Spanish gold fleet trying to escape a hurricane around Sebastion had erroneously given me the impression the inlet was already in existence in the 1600 and 1700 timeframe.

Just north of Patrick Air Force Base there is an area where the lagoon and ocean come very close. It has been surmised that Mother Nature is trying to create a natural inlet there. Most likely, another urban legend.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #35
Guru

Patrick AFB has been on the short list of bases to be closed for years and I've recommended that if they did, that another cut be made at the thin part of the base between the Atlantic ocean and the Banana river since it is too far to the ocean when we get tropical storms and hurricane rainfall. The Banana river and Indian River Lagoon flood since the only ways out are Sebastian Inlet or Ft Pierce.

I doubt it will happen in my lifetime though, since logic and reality see eye to eye.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Photo of an old Minstrel Postcard, probably late 1950's....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Minstrel.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	41174
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #37
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
And on a busier day some years earlier....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Minstrel2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	41180
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

[QUOTE=Tad Roberts;341628]And on a busier day some years earlier....

Ernie Rose gave us a print of this picture or one almost identical. It's a color shot. I'd not seen the photo you posted before this one. Thanks for putting it up.