Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Just a heads up. Taking shoes off when entering a house is a Canadian thing too.
Wifey B: Then I'll respect it there....but I won't require it or do it here. I understand if you're coming in from walking in the mud. So, seriously, in today's world, what is the reason other than we've always done it? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand.

I know...to make sure dudes don't wear socks with holes in them...
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Then I'll respect it there....but I won't require it or do it here. I understand if you're coming in from walking in the mud. So, seriously, in today's world, what is the reason other than we've always done it? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand.

I know...to make sure dudes don't wear socks with holes in them...
Wifey: Ok been researching...

Mud, Dirt, Bacteria, Lead.

Partly from times in which both animal and human sewage in yards.

Pesticides, Coal Tar.

Pollens. (Ok, so if shoes make sense then remove clothes too. Hubby has allergies...no more clothes in house)

Make transition from out to in, relax, feel at home.

More wear on floors

In apartments less noise for those under (unless flat footed)

Healthy for feet.

I do have to add that most of those don't apply much for boat shows.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Whenever I go to look at or work on a boat I automatically take my shoes off, it shows respect for the boat and the owner unless they say "no need to remove"

I expect the same on my boat as well for anyone that enters the boats interior.

Maybe I am the odd one out but then again I don't walk across my golf partners putting line either.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
.....When I exited the boat, my great shoes were gone and in their place was a ratty old pair of flip flops.
Hey wait a minute. I saw Nordy Oliver there at the palm Beach Shoe. Come to think of it, he was not wearing the usual ratty flip flops!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Whenever I go to look at or work on a boat I automatically take my shoes off, it shows respect for the boat and the owner unless they say "no need to remove"

I expect the same on my boat as well for anyone that enters the boats interior.

Maybe I am the odd one out but then again I don't walk across my golf partners putting line either.
While we'd certainly respect your rules and my wife listed a lot of reasons, would you share your reason for a shoeless boat?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Custom is one thing...and Alaska was another place where people routinely removed their shoes.

But usually the custom is for a reason.

Again I will state that a boat that can't accept regular clean street shoes is a fairy tale of some long lost custom.

Removing shoes cause the environment demands it is one thing...removing them because it is an expensive yacht just makes me giggle.

Since most of those customs were started...they invented vacuum cleaners and swifters.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Hey wait a minute. I saw Nordy Oliver there at the palm Beach Shoe. Come to think of it, he was not wearing the usual ratty flip flops!

Ah crap.... Larry I thought we agreed to not tell anyone, come to think of it it was cardude!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I picked up the habit of taking my shoes off in somebody's house (or boat for that matter) living 16 years in Alaska. It's just what you did -- in the messy winter sure, and then breakup, and then the rest of the year just by habit. Feels downright odd to keep my shoes on in somebody's house now.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #29
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Just to set the record straight---my shoes were taken off and placed in the cockpit of the boat, not on the dock. No way they could be kicked into the water. Did I mention that for the rest of the day I was checking out people's shoes instead of looking at the things I really came to the show to see? It's a day later and I'm still pissed.

As soon as the falling off feet curse begins to work I'll feel better.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:13 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Just a heads up. Taking shoes off when entering a house is a Canadian thing too.
It's also a Hawaii thing and a Japanese thing.

As for taking shoes off before boarding a boat-show boat, I have seen firsthand the amazing amount of damage a little piece of stone caught in a shoe tread can do to a teak sole in the cabin on a yacht. It required that section of floor to be totally refinished.

So I don't blame boat sellers or dealers for requiring that people take their shoes off before entering a boat. We (Boeing) require everyone who enters a completed airplane to put on "boot socks," cloth covers that slip over the soles of one's shoes. These are kept in a big bin at the top of the portable stairs outside the cabin door. No boot socks, no entry. Including the customers (until they take delivery of the airplane at which point they can do what they want, although our guys continue to wear the socks until the plane leaves on its delivery flight).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #31
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My point exactly about how a tiny stone can do so much damage.

Imagine what a storm can do with something that becomes unsecured.

Why have a boat made to a standard that's even harder to protect than a new cars paint finish. Even that does pretty well out in the environment at 60mph.

Not for me..but I do respect not dragging large amounts of mud in places they are present or following the customs of another.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #32

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Interesting topic. As Canadians, the wife and I were somewhat surprised when our American friends insisted / suggested we leave our shoes on whenever we dropped by their homes for a visit. We just assumed it was a gesture of friendship, they were being thoughtful ie: cold floors, convenience, etc., but we always took them off anyway. We considered it extremely impolite or arrogant not to. I had not even considered the possibility they might actually prefer that we leave them on.

As to our boat, I believe sock feet is an invitation to an accident and we advise our guests to leave their shoes on if they prefer.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #33
Guru

City: gulf coast
I hate taking shoes off as I wear them to protect from cleats and other boat hazards.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Love it!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #35

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Did I mention that for the rest of the day I was checking out people's shoes instead of looking at the things I really came to the show to see?
I thought about that. I know that I would also be on the lookout for someone wearing them for the rest of the day. Trouble is that if you thought you spotted them, could you be absolutely sure? What would you do?
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #36
Guru

I know how to tell a sure sign of guilt..if the suspect takes off later this week for the Bahamas, say Abacos. I'd keep an eye out for suspicious behavior like that.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Unbelievable

Years ago, we were displaying Salvation II (first Nordhavn to circumnavigate) at the Seattle Boat Show (January). There were about 4-5 inches of snow on the dock. We required shoes to be taken off. Late in the day, a gentleman came aboard wearing a business suit. Obviously, took off early from his job. There were quite a few people aboard at the time he arrived but after visiting for awhile everyone else had left. When he went to put his (dress black) shoes on, the only shoes on the dock was a pair of old, ratty boat shoes, at least 3 sizes smaller than his.

We felt terrible......what to do? He had to walk several blocks to his car and the ratty, too small boat shoes just wouldn't fit.

He ended up wrapping his feet in paper towels (insulation) and we gave him zip lock bags (doubled) to make the walk to his car. We never could understand why someone would steal dress shoes that were obviously several sizes larger than what they wore.
Northern Marine
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #38
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Reference an earlier post about using a fanny bag.
Apologies for lapsing into fundamental speak, a reference to a 'Fanny' in Ireland/England is err a ladies sexual apparatus, it's why many Americans get 'funny' looks if they mention it in conversation as a tourist, a butt is for collecting rainwater. (I suppose the crack channel the water).
It's just a language thing.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #39

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
So sorry to hear about your experience. We live up on the Treasure Coast and declined to make the trip as we figured parking, hassles etc. would be a pain. It's sad to say, but anything south of Martin County anymore is getting really bad for congestion, crime, traffic, etc. We moved up here after 20 years in Jupiter which we thought was becoming to much like Boca
To each his own, but sure is nice on the northern side of things, especially the boating!

I would ask the boat salesman to reimburse you, but good luck with that.
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #40
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafs and fishes View Post
I thought about that. I know that I would also be on the lookout for someone wearing them for the rest of the day. Trouble is that if you thought you spotted them, could you be absolutely sure? What would you do?
Since the insoles were one day old I would recognize them by taking the shoes off and looking. Step 1, beat the crap out of the guy, 2, rip the shoes off his feet, step 3, apologize if they weren't mine. Hard to believe, but I'm starting to find the whole thing funny. BTW, we are in Stuart FL.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote