Unbelievable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Today we went to the Palm Beach, FL boat show. Since I have been having a problem with the heel of my foot, I wore my newest and most comfortable boat shoes. They are the type that you can slip on and off, and have no laces. I purchased a new pair of gel insoles for $20 and began walking the docks feeling really great.

We got to the show early, and I boarded a new 42' Selene. Other than the salesman, I was the only person aboard. I took off my shoes in the cockpit of the boat and had a look around. When I exited the boat, my great shoes were gone and in their place was a ratty old pair of flip flops. The rest of the day was needless to say a pain.

If the person who did this is reading this forum, I must say you are one sick SOB. :mad: :mad:

That really sucks, but the only thing I can say based on what I hear on the news day after day after day is..... welcome to the 21st century in the USA.

Sorry to hear...some people....well it would be fun for payback...:D

I'm lucky, my motto is never own or even board a boat that you have to take your shoes off for...so I've never had an issue at boat shows or marina brokerages.

Greetings,
Mr. hm. IF the salesman requested that you remove your shoes, I'd say he owes you a new pair including insoles. IF you did it out of courtesy, I have a voodoo curse that will cause the new wearers feet to fall off...
200_s.gif

May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.

I once had my favorite pair of Manatee print underwear taken from an unnwashed pile at a marina laundry. Unfortunately for him, he didn't know about my weeping butt furunkles.

Nevertheless, it's a sad state of affairs when some SOB takes your shoes. Hope you had athletes foot or toe fungus or plantars warts or something. On the other hand (or foot) since you had to wear his flip flops, hope he didn't.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for him, he didn't know about my weeping butt furunkles.

Somedays, I wish there never was a Google search :eek:

"Furuncle is another word for "boil." A boil is a bacterial or fungal infection of a hair follicle.

Where else in the world of online boating can you read about stolen shoes, stolen underwear, a clever prayer and weeping butt boils in the same thread? Hmason, you're right--unbelievable; hope everything else on that dock worth stealing was tied down. Larry, I don't usually have much to say about men's underwear, but I have to believe that thief did you a favor. :D

A "teachable moment" for all. When you go to a boat show wear your most beat up pair of shoes.
I wonder, was a guy who would steal a pair of boat shoes planning to buy a boat?

I wonder, was a guy who would steal a pair of boat shoes planning to buy a boat?

Maybe boat shows attract shoe thieves. :nonono:
Or, maybe the boat was just a tool for an ongoing shoe stealing operation. :eek:

That really sucks, but the only thing I can say based on what I hear on the news day after day after day is..... welcome to the 21st century in the USA.

This just in: the 20th century was no better. Nor the 19th. In fact, crime is down from the 20th, violent crime significantly. Not sure about shoe crime though. Just no internet or 200 channels of TV competing to expose it all.

True Shoe story

My boat show Shoe story.... years ago My now ex admiral and I attended the Boston boat show and viewed a very nice $$$,$$$$.00 vessel, but it was a bit too small for her.... Well the next week Miami boat show would showcase the new and larger $$$$ model. So next thing I know we are flying to Miami. The Boston broker worked out his deal $$$ with the Miami broker and we all talk many times. As we arrive at the boat early before official opening, after a wake up call from Boston broker. Then the Miami broker snapped the dreaded Ma'am take Off your shoes! :facepalm: Well my Admiral spun on her topsiders and refused to view the boat. I had to turn off my phone with the many desperate calls from Boston broker.... I owe the Miami broker an expensive dinner. :angel:

I once had my favorite pair of Manatee print underwear taken from an unnwashed pile at a marina laundry. Unfortunately for him, he didn't know about my weeping butt furunkles.

Nevertheless, it's a sad state of affairs when some SOB takes your shoes. Hope you had athletes foot or toe fungus or plantars warts or something. On the other hand (or foot) since you had to wear his flip flops, hope he didn't.

Talk about "butt ugly"! :D

"Does my butt make this Manatee look big?"

:hide:

The only way to look at something like that is that they clearly needed them more than you did.

Even if unintended, you did someone a good deed.

I've always worried that someone would knock my shoes into the water. I never thought some low-life would steal them.

The only way to look at something like that is that they clearly needed them more than you did.

I once had a Bible stolen out of my car while it was parked in the church parking lot. I definitely figured that was the case then.

I've always worried that someone would knock my shoes into the water. I never thought some low-life would steal them.

Now wouldn't it be strange if hmason's shoes went for a swim before the guy wearing flip flops showed up? The flip flop mystery man is left wondering who would take his nasty sandals.

I've watched to many Columbo episodes. Fanny pack to hold my shoes at the next boat show.

Wifey B: I don't know where this silly take off your shoe bit started, but we don't have people do it on our boat or in our home. (Well, I know for homes it's a Japanese thing and wouldn't have a problem doing it for them). But, I mean lets see...like the choice is nice boat shoes designed not to mar or anything vs. dirty, sweaty feet, maybe athlete's foot or worse...like who knows. Plus people be clumsy....even coordinated ones. Shoeless toes get broke....old Chinese Proverb. It's one thing to stub your toe in a shoe but without....oh s..... that hurts.

I mean if like I'm wearing stilettos I'll take them off. But deck shoes....

Well, I know for homes it's a Japanese thing and wouldn't have a problem doing it for them.

Just a heads up. Taking shoes off when entering a house is a Canadian thing too.

Just a heads up. Taking shoes off when entering a house is a Canadian thing too.

Wifey B: Then I'll respect it there....but I won't require it or do it here. I understand if you're coming in from walking in the mud. So, seriously, in today's world, what is the reason other than we've always done it? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand.

I know...to make sure dudes don't wear socks with holes in them...:)

Wifey B: Then I'll respect it there....but I won't require it or do it here. I understand if you're coming in from walking in the mud. So, seriously, in today's world, what is the reason other than we've always done it? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand.

I know...to make sure dudes don't wear socks with holes in them...:)

Wifey: Ok been researching...

Mud, Dirt, Bacteria, Lead.

Partly from times in which both animal and human sewage in yards.

Pesticides, Coal Tar.

Pollens. (Ok, so if shoes make sense then remove clothes too. Hubby has allergies...no more clothes in house)

Make transition from out to in, relax, feel at home.

More wear on floors

In apartments less noise for those under (unless flat footed)

Healthy for feet.

I do have to add that most of those don't apply much for boat shows.

Whenever I go to look at or work on a boat I automatically take my shoes off, it shows respect for the boat and the owner unless they say "no need to remove"

I expect the same on my boat as well for anyone that enters the boats interior.

Maybe I am the odd one out but then again I don't walk across my golf partners putting line either.

.....When I exited the boat, my great shoes were gone and in their place was a ratty old pair of flip flops.

Hey wait a minute. I saw Nordy Oliver there at the palm Beach Shoe. Come to think of it, he was not wearing the usual ratty flip flops!;)

Whenever I go to look at or work on a boat I automatically take my shoes off, it shows respect for the boat and the owner unless they say "no need to remove"

I expect the same on my boat as well for anyone that enters the boats interior.

Maybe I am the odd one out but then again I don't walk across my golf partners putting line either.

While we'd certainly respect your rules and my wife listed a lot of reasons, would you share your reason for a shoeless boat?

Custom is one thing...and Alaska was another place where people routinely removed their shoes.

But usually the custom is for a reason.:thumb:

Again I will state that a boat that can't accept regular clean street shoes is a fairy tale of some long lost custom.:socool:

Removing shoes cause the environment demands it is one thing...removing them because it is an expensive yacht just makes me giggle.:rofl:

Since most of those customs were started...they invented vacuum cleaners and swifters.

Hey wait a minute. I saw Nordy Oliver there at the palm Beach Shoe. Come to think of it, he was not wearing the usual ratty flip flops!;)

Ah crap.... Larry I thought we agreed to not tell anyone, come to think of it it was cardude! :D

I picked up the habit of taking my shoes off in somebody's house (or boat for that matter) living 16 years in Alaska. It's just what you did -- in the messy winter sure, and then breakup, and then the rest of the year just by habit. Feels downright odd to keep my shoes on in somebody's house now.

Last edited:
Just to set the record straight---my shoes were taken off and placed in the cockpit of the boat, not on the dock. No way they could be kicked into the water. Did I mention that for the rest of the day I was checking out people's shoes instead of looking at the things I really came to the show to see? It's a day later and I'm still pissed.

As soon as the falling off feet curse begins to work I'll feel better.

It's also a Hawaii thing and a Japanese thing.

As for taking shoes off before boarding a boat-show boat, I have seen firsthand the amazing amount of damage a little piece of stone caught in a shoe tread can do to a teak sole in the cabin on a yacht. It required that section of floor to be totally refinished.

So I don't blame boat sellers or dealers for requiring that people take their shoes off before entering a boat. We (Boeing) require everyone who enters a completed airplane to put on "boot socks," cloth covers that slip over the soles of one's shoes. These are kept in a big bin at the top of the portable stairs outside the cabin door. No boot socks, no entry. Including the customers (until they take delivery of the airplane at which point they can do what they want, although our guys continue to wear the socks until the plane leaves on its delivery flight).

Back
Top Bottom