ultra sonic hull cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ed

Ultra sonic cleaning of industrial equipment really works and has been around for a long time. It has many marine applications, in my case engine after coolers. In the US cleaning hydro electric dam generators's bits and pieces is practiced. In fresh water the zebra mussel buildup has been an application.

Recreational boat hulls - I'll ask my diver what he has heard.

Last edited:
Ultra sonic cleaning is effective. My question though, is does this device actually work.

Ultra-SoniTec – Ultrasonic Antifouling | Providing the world’s best ultrasonic antifouling system for all boats.

Is this just snake oil or has anyone on the list actually used this product?
It sounds interesting but it is by no means cheap.

if used how hard to install. It looks like it is installed inside the boat?

Ed

FWIW... This is what one Nordhavn owner from Sarasota, FL had to say about the product:

“We departed Sarasota on April 15th for a three month cruise to the Bahamas. The day before we left we had the bottom cleaned, and the diver reported that the bottom paint was in fair condition (painted in March 2012 with Sea Hawk Biocop TF Black so now over two years old). By the time we reached Bimini the grass at the water line on the port side was about 4” long, the bottom and stabilizers were white with growth with many barnacles.

As we were waiting for weather for a few days, I took the opportunity to install the CleanAHull Ultrasonic Antifouling System I had acquired from Ultra-Sonitec.com before leaving Miami. The installation took about 12 hours with a bit of help from my first mate in pulling the wire runs. I then cleaned the bottom, which took me about 6 hours!

It is now five weeks since the installation and I am extremely pleased with the results! No grass, no barnacles, and only a thin coating of slime, which easily wipes off with a scotch pad! Even in areas where the paint is worn off, and the underwater light lenses, are free of growth! These are excellent results, especially considering that we have been at anchor for most of the past five weeks rather than underway almost every day as in the first part of our cruise.

I have no financial interest in Ultra-Sonitec, just a satisfied customer.”

Don Payzant, Owner, June 2014

I saw that on their, ultra sonic website.
Not sure one could trust from there. Just seeing if anyone from our forum has used this.

It would take me 2-3 years in eliminated diver/haul-out cost to pay it off. But, I would still haul-out for the inspection value of putting her on the hard, plus I always seem to have something to fix or improve that gets deferred to the next bottom job.

So I'd still be doing the hauls, might be able to knock off the diver a couple of times a year - all predicated on the device's performance as advertised. Not cost effective in my situation.

But, very interesting concept.

Correction - 2 or 3 haul-out cycles - not years.

My understanding from boat show discussions and a local installer of the system--it doesn't "clean the hull", it keeps it clean.
The ultrasonic waves are pulsed at particular time intervals and durations and this kills the organisms on the hull while still micro (or at least very small).

You have to wonder why ultrasonic systems aren't in widespread use, if they actually perform as advertised. I have been in the hull cleaning biz for 22 years/30,000 service events and have never come across one.

You can't trust "testimonials" any more than you can trust advice on this forum. The only way you're going to find out if this system works for you is to install it on your own boat.

Wait five years and they will either be on most people's boats or the company will have gone out of business. At that point, you can make a decision.

I used to be an installer for another brand of ultra sonic hull "cleaner".

And they did work but as noted they don't clean the hull. They just help kerp a clean hull clean and barnacle free (or almost barnacle free) a lot longer.

And that they would do. The problem the people who assume they are a miracle cure are disappointed. And there can be a noise issue at night with them.

You have to wonder why ultrasonic systems aren't in widespread use, if they actually perform as advertised. I have been in the hull cleaning biz for 22 years/30,000 service events and have never come across one.

As they are mounted inside the hull and can be turned off, you wouldn't know if one was there.

Ted

:facepalm:As they are mounted inside the hull and can be turned off, you wouldn't know if one was there.:lol:

The article says the range of the transducers is 40 to 50' in water and is dampened by being mounted to the hull.

Just wonder if you would get an acceptable positive effect if you just hung them overboard like you do with fenders except into the water.

As they are mounted inside the hull and can be turned off, you wouldn't know if one was there.

I tend to get a little more information from my customers than just a boat name and slip number. If any of them were using an ultrasonic anti fouling system, I'd know about it.

The article says the range of the transducers is 40 to 50' in water and is dampened by being mounted to the hull.

Just wonder if you would get an acceptable positive effect if you just hung them overboard like you do with fenders except into the water.

That doesn't seem too likely. If it were the case, why wouldn't they be marketed that way?

It's the vibrations they transmit to the hull, fittings, etc. that inhibits the growth. Not just the sound/noise alone.

Have a couple install at the boat rental company I work for. Will keep hard growth at bay but not soft growth. Boat maybe out for two weeks or less. Comes back with grass,slime no to few shells. I'm not sold on it but the boss wanted to try it.

I tend to get a little more information from my customers than just a boat name and slip number. If any of them were using an ultrasonic anti fouling system, I'd know about it.

The manufacturer would have us believe that if you install their product you will no longer require the services of a diver. ;)

Personally, I'm not buying it. Time will tell. Maybe it's a good product for boaters in areas where the tree huggers have managed to get laws passed outlawing the cleaning of boat bottoms while they are in the water.

Used to be service tech and trainer for old Branson Instruments ultra sonic cleaning and testing. In order effectively clean with cavitation best results in a soapy water or solvent is at relatively high power. Branson's equip line ran from 40 to thousands of watts. IMO to clean a hull you'd need a pretty sizable transducer head running hundreds of watts ... Then what about that diver ... Works best for immersion cleaning from small to very large tanks.

i'm not sure it kills the critters.

More likely, it irritates the sh.t out of them so they don't fell welcome....my guess only.

i'm not sure it kills the critters.

More likely, it irritates the sh.t out of them so they don't fell welcome....my guess only.

That is basically how they work.

They will not " clean" your hull. Just help keep the barnacles and such from attaching.

This is an old thread but I'll post anyway. I added the 4 transducer set from ultra-sonitrec 20 months ago on my older Nordic Tug 32 and the results have been excellent. My marina has a habit of growing mussels in the thru-hulls and this stopped them completely. My diver could not believe that the hull had not been cleaned in over a year when he changed zincs last spring. I'm very pleased. However, you must leave them on all the time. As someone else said, they do not clean the hull, they keep it clean. If you turn it off, stuff will adhere and start to grow quickly. I've been told to avoid the Chinese versions, but I have no personal experience with them.

but....if they work, you wouldnt come across one in your business. Your comment seems to confirm that they work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom