Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #41
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post
I think this vessel belongs to one of this forum's members.

I believe he cruises the Sea of Cortez.

Last one built.

The lines are right - without the flybridge.

my favorite production boat.

Nice. A Willard?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Watson 76 or a Dashew FPB
A lot of people think the Dashew FPB does not qualify as a trawler, maybe they are right.
Personally, I don't think there is a better boat out there, if I won the lotto I would be in there like a shot......., and surely we could consider it a trawler that has been subject to the Darwinian theory for a while......?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes.
This is a Willard 40 Pilothouse and owned by Patrick and is usually in Mexico. I believe his username is Aloahboat.
To list it as an ideal trawler is very fitting as I think half the people on this forum would find this boat to be a keeper. I almost extended myself to buy a W40 myself but they seem a bit too big for me. Out in the nasty no such thing of course. The W40 I was considering was also a pilothouse model and it is very similar to the Krogen 42. Most trawler guys run at disp speeds and would be better off w a boat like this W40. By the way she is powered by the small John Deere 135hp engine. And yes Patrick is a member and may chime in.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #44
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Yes.
This is a Willard 40 Pilothouse and owned by Patrick and is usually in Mexico. I believe his username is Aloahboat.
To list it as an ideal trawler is very fitting as I think half the people on this forum would find this boat to be a keeper.
This is one I often come back to when dreaming of the next boat. Mostly because it just seems so "right" in so many ways. Whether or not it is the appropriate boat for how I'm likely to use it is another matter entirely.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When we were down to our final four mono-hull choices, the Willard 40 and Hatteras 42 LRC were our west-coast choices (supposing we were sent to LA or SF), and the Krogen Manatee 36 or Pilgrim 40 on the east coast. Our next posting ended up being Miami, so....

At the time we were looking, a sumptuous John Deere powered Willard 40 in nearly "new" condition was for sale on the west coast, I think Seattle. Eric probably remembers this one...I think it was featured on one of the popular boat rags. For me, this was the ultimate reach-able trawler for us. A Krogen 39 was a high dollar comparison with its better engine room, but we loved the layout of the Willard 40. The boat was meat & potatoes based, and when you added a few upgrades....wow! If it isn't the ultimate trawler, I think it may be the ultimate 40 ft. trawler. Honorable mention are the Ducks.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #46
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
For me and the inside passage/Gulf of Alaska, one of these:

53' GB Aleutian RP

Hampton 620PH

Hatteras 60MY

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #47
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Love everything mentioned here, from the sailboat to the Flemming to the Dashew's boat (my personal "when I hit the lotto" boat. Another I really admire that is closer to reality is the Camano 41. They only built a very few and they are now marketed as the Bracewell 41. Very roomy and fuel efficient with a decent turn of speed.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #48
Guru

You know...I never have even seen a Camano/Bracewell 41 and I'd like to. The Camano is a stout craft. Maybe it's a goodie.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #49
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
You know...I never have even seen a Camano/Bracewell 41 and I'd like to.
Great post! I'd love to see one as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
Guru

Bracewell 41: http://www.bracewellboatworks.com/do..._65-69_OBP.pdf

Camano 41: Camano 41
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #51
Guru

Camano/Bracewell 41

Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #52
Guru

After reading Carolena's mention of the Bracewell/Camano 41, I searched Yachtworld and also found those photos. Looks like they stayed true to the Camano format. There's a lot of dedication to glass and light. My Admiral would love that. Sure does cut down on the galley storage though. Very nice boat.....looks like a Camano. Love the integrated swim platform and full keel/skeg.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #53
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
That dashew boat is not even a trawler but I sure like all the other choices.
Eric

You're right, the FPBs are too fast, too seaworthy and too fuel efficient.

But, back to TF reality for a moment, Delfin's Romsdel is certainly worthy of being near the top of the list.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #54
Guru

+1 on Delfin's Romsdel steeler!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #55
Guru

City: coos bay
the ultimate trawler is one thats paid for and creates no stress on ones budget so all you need to do is enjoy yout toy, For some this may be a row boat with a cooler for others the sky's the limit
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #56
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
After reading Carolena's mention of the Bracewell/Camano 41, I searched Yachtworld and also found those photos. Looks like they stayed true to the Camano format. There's a lot of dedication to glass and light. My Admiral would love that. Sure does cut down on the galley storage though. Very nice boat.....looks like a Camano. Love the integrated swim platform and full keel/skeg.
The Bracewell is a beautiful vessel. I had the pleasure of getting a tour of one a couple of weeks ago, and wow. Way out of my price range but wow.

They built 8 of them in BC but recently shipped the moulds over to China, where they will now be manufactured.

It would certainly be my ultimate trawler.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #57
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

They built 8 of them in BC but recently shipped the moulds over to China, where they will now be manufactured.
That's a shame...more jobs lost.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #58
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
The only problem I have with the unsailboat is I keep seeing it as an underseaboat, and immediately hear in my mind's ear "ahhooo...ahhooo, ahhooo, dive dive dive....

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/a...3&d=1362371071
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #59

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Since we are dreaming, my ultimate Trawler would look similar to Tad Robert's Passagemaker Lite 56 Passagemaker Lite 56 - Tad Roberts' fast, seaworthy, fuel-efficient long-range passagemaker, however it would have a 12' beam, instead of 13', to make it transportable without a pilot car in California (CA). It would also be a little longer than 56' so I could fit in a second state room with a island queen.

I'd keep the forward stateroom(s) but I'd lengthen the Pilothouse to make a combined Pilothouse and saloon with the galley up and nearly 360 degree visibility. I'd move the engines under the enlarged pilothouse and have a full beam master stateroom aft of the pilothouse. The upper control station would be above the aft stateroom and aft of the pilothouse to keep the center of mass low for stability and the height low for transport-ability. Some of the increased length would be used to provide a decent sized cockpit for fishing and diving. I estimate the total length would be about 66', which would make her very fuel efficient with a L/B of 5.5.

As long as the beam is <=12', the height on the trailer is <=14' and the total length with truck is <100', it could be transported without a pilot car in CA, OR and WA (along with most Western states i.e. AZ, NM, TX ...).

If the boat was going to be too unstable with a 12' beam or to improve the layout, the beam could be increased to <=14' with a proportional decrease in length to ~56'. This would necessitate a pilot car in CA (but not OR or WA) and increase annual round trip to WA cost by ~$2,000, however the reduced length would save ~$1,500 annually in slip fees (in So Cal). L/B would be 4:1 so it would still be pretty fuel efficient. Another advantage of the shorter length is it would increase the number of marinas that could accommodate her.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #60

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
I'd keep the forward stateroom(s) but I'd lengthen the Pilothouse to make a combined Pilothouse and saloon with the galley up and nearly 360 degree visibility. I'd move the engines under the enlarged pilothouse and have a full beam master stateroom aft of the pilothouse. The upper control station would be above the aft stateroom and aft of the pilothouse to keep the center of mass low for stability and the height low for transport-ability. Some of the increased length would be used to provide a decent sized cockpit for fishing and diving. I estimate the total length would be about 66', which would make her very fuel efficient with a L/B of 5.5.
This is pretty funny... Maybe Tad will post the very similar design he sketched for me a few years ago, his Express 70.

And PS, while we are talking Ultimate Trawler, I'll take Tad's Perigrine 76 in steel, with twin Luggers. Maybe he'll post a sketch of that too if we ask pretty please.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote