Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #141
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Did you see that Florida riverboat with the flat bottom? Looked like a house. Not supposed to tip over, but heard that they have.

Not at this TF, but I have been on "Water Lily" at other TF's. There is a tremendous amount of room aboard, that's for sure. It would be easy to live aboard one of these vessels. I understand that the science says these are stable boats. But when you're standing on "Water Lilly" and thinking about being out in some wicked, choppy water your gut tells you something else.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #142

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Two comments:

1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one think that the FBCs are pretty cool and "shippy" looking.

2) Stability and comfort are two different things. I spent my wasted youth working on a 36 foot landing craft on Hudson Bay. Stable? Yes, absolutely. You could load on a small bulldozer with no problem. Comfortable? Not so much. In a blow it would yank the snot right out of your nose.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #143
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I would think the flat bottom and the weight would cause concern in rough seas as the flat bottom and weight would make the boat have a very high initial stability, no rocking/rolling. A high initial stability would cause a boat to remain flat allowing wave to break on/over the boat, and with the low free board and windows, waves would tend to flood the boat if hatches/door/windows where open and/or the seals failed. It would ride like a 2 X 6 board with the water washing on/over it and be very snappy/jerky which would cause things to come loose and move around. Might be the reason for the batteries came loose.

Being a dock queen, I love the living space as a live aboard. Just think of all the cloths and shoes you could have. Its very important to understand the two stabilities, initial and ultra. Also realize that stabilization does not change the stability of the boat. Stabilization change the comfort/ride. If the stabilization fails you are left with the boats stability. That is very important to understand!

The important thing is the owner knows and understands the capability and limitations of their boat. Remember initially, GG primary was a blue water coastal potentially ocean crossing boat, and a live a board secondary. Not a good choice for GG. Besides it's even uglier than the Eagle!

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #144
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Pilgrim consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
When we were down to our final four mono-hull choices, the Willard 40 and Hatteras 42 LRC were our west-coast choices (supposing we were sent to LA or SF), and the Krogen Manatee 36 or Pilgrim 40 on the east coast. Our next posting ended up being Miami, so....
So the Pilgrim 40 was one of your 4 'finalist' . What did you like or dislike about these vessels?
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #145

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: HOA
Vessel Model: Long-cours.62
But in some place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
only complaint I would have is the slip fees because of her length
The price of the travel lift was not based on the lenght but on the volume or weight

Mainly on the volume ...because it is written on the boat papers, and the weight not .

in this case my boat became a uldb
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #146
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
So the Pilgrim 40 was one of your 4 'finalist' . What did you like or dislike about these vessels?
The Pilgrim had steps down to very decent maintenance spaces, and a much better genset access than the Manatee. Main Engine access to the Manatee is pretty much the same.....by removing floorboards (once done, access is very good) and has a small hatch in the galley for the generator space, where the generator sits athwart-ships and clogs access to things like the waste tank and non-service side of the genset. Adding coolant and getting into the relay box is also a real pain on the Manatee. This is bad enough that I've actually cut a new hatch in the veranda and will be installing the Manatee genset in a roomy new space just aft and below the salon doors. Both boats have full keels but the Manatee wins the draft contest at only 3'2". Cubic space of the interior is probably about the same, but the Pilgrim offers another head (not sure if this feature is on all 40's). They both have huge boat-decks and upper helm areas, but again, the Pilgrim offers a lower helm and the Manatee does not. The two stateroom versions of either are also a toss up for space and convenience, but the forward space of the fat beamed Manatee wins the single stateroom contest. The Pilgrim is a nicely styled boat and the Manatee is stylistically challenged by its function over form, full beam lower spaces. The side decks of the Pilgrim offer great dockside flexibility but narrow the interior spaces and there are a few up-down steps to get used to. The Manatee is a more convenient single- level boat for the salon, galley, head and stateroom. Economy is probably too close to matter. If I were moving up in size in the same character of vessel, I'd probably be looking for a 43 Pilgrim cuz there are no bigger Manatees. They are both very special, sea-worthy, durable designs that would probably find a market if they were built today. My two cents.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #147

City: Bording
Is basically a supersized Garcia GT54

78' 8" LOA, 19' 8" MB, all aluminium

twin Volvo IPS 900, 5500G fuel capacity

downstairs there will be an full height engineroom, Lazarette with workshop and a living area with a huge stateroom with a tub in the "bathroom", and good size cabins for the kids and another reasonable sized stateroom for guests.

In the middle of these there will be a room with plenty of sqm for the kids to play and stairs to the salon upstairs.

Upstairs there will be a large lounge for eating / watching TV / playing games. FULL size galley with lots of fridge and freezer space, dishwasher huge stowe im the chef and i love to cook!

The Helm will of course have ALL the gadgets and they will be brand spanking new.

Up top there will be a flybridge with a generous party space behind. The flybridge will have a roof in aluminium no bimini top for me it will be covered in solarpanels.
All the decks will be covered in teak:-)

The twin keels will offer good protection for the Pods aswell as to make the boat beachable

If one only had 5-6 million bucks;-)
Torben DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #148

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Wade,
I like your list.
Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Not at this TF, but I have been on "Water Lily" at other TF's. There is a tremendous amount of room aboard, that's for sure. It would be easy to live aboard one of these vessels. I understand that the science says these are stable boats. But when you're standing on "Water Lilly" and thinking about being out in some wicked, choppy water your gut tells you something else.
I'd love to be aboard Water Lily....and I've asked to be when I'm in the area. Gut or not, I love the boat. A rough seas vessel it isn't, but......
Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Wade,
I like your list.
Henry
Henry......easy for you to say......you've got most of those specs. The engine room on the N-series makes me swoon. I was fortunate enough to be aboard all the models, coincidentally present when I visited Green Cove Springs. Your model is awesome.....too much for me to even think about in so many ways, not the least of which is $$$$. We've got a Krogen Member who just traded his 39 for an N-47. Enough room for a copter on the foredeck.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #151
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The "ultimate" boat depends on the individual. The Coot is probably my last boat, so doesn't that make it the ultimate, for me?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The Pilgrim had steps down to very decent maintenance spaces, and a much better genset access than the Manatee. Main Engine access to the Manatee is pretty much the same.....by removing floorboards (once done, access is very good) and has a small hatch in the galley for the generator space, where the generator sits athwart-ships and clogs access to things like the waste tank and non-service side of the genset. Adding coolant and getting into the relay box is also a real pain on the Manatee. This is bad enough that I've actually cut a new hatch in the veranda and will be installing the Manatee genset in a roomy new space just aft and below the salon doors. Both boats have full keels but the Manatee wins the draft contest at only 3'2". Cubic space of the interior is probably about the same, but the Pilgrim offers another head (not sure if this feature is on all 40's). They both have huge boat-decks and upper helm areas, but again, the Pilgrim offers a lower helm and the Manatee does not. The two stateroom versions of either are also a toss up for space and convenience, but the forward space of the fat beamed Manatee wins the single stateroom contest. The Pilgrim is a nicely styled boat and the Manatee is stylistically challenged by its function over form, full beam lower spaces. The side decks of the Pilgrim offer great dockside flexibility but narrow the interior spaces and there are a few up-down steps to get used to. The Manatee is a more convenient single- level boat for the salon, galley, head and stateroom. Economy is probably too close to matter. If I were moving up in size in the same character of vessel, I'd probably be looking for a 43 Pilgrim cuz there are no bigger Manatees. They are both very special, sea-worthy, durable designs that would probably find a market if they were built today. My two cents.
Thank you very much for that constructive reply. I took a look at the Manatee you referenced, and yes it does fit a lot of boat into 36'.

Its just not as appealing from a looks or liveaboard vantage point. I like those big windows on the P 40, what I believe is a slightly bigger saloon, the larger aft deck, and what I think is a larger head.

I keep thinking of this canal boat from France.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	21471   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	21472   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoiSoleilfull%20view,%20ps.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	21473  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #153
Guru

Pilgrim 40

...a wee bit smaller than that French canal vessel, but what I am saying it that it appears to me that MANY of the trawler designs 40' and under try to place a big master stateroom in the rear, thus taking up that place of a bigger saloon area opening out onto a covered aft deck.

To me this arrangment on the Prilgrim 40 is much more appealing, particularly for a live-aboard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pilgrim 40, jpg.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	21479   Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon Fyhren.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	21480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saloon, Olive Oyl.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	21481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft Deck, Von Fyhren.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	21482  
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #154

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
I have always found that sleep in an aft cabin better. Less boat motion, wave slapping and no anchor noise, but if you are planning to be a dock most night not such a big deal.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #155
Veteran Member

City: The Great State of Florida
Vessel Name: Always Home
Vessel Model: DeFever 47 POC
That Pilgrim 40... The bed is a ?? Double? Or Queen? The floor plan looks like the bed is NOT a walk around. Or is it?

The other photos are very nice. BTW - how's the engine room? With one a single there should be loads of room?
OneofSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #156
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
...a wee bit smaller than that French canal vessel, but what I am saying it that it appears to me that MANY of the trawler designs 40' and under try to place a big master stateroom in the rear, thus taking up that place of a bigger saloon area opening out onto a covered aft deck.
Lacking the covered aft deck the Bruce Roberts Coaster 32 has been on my radar lately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	COASTER32-ACCOM.gif
Views:	107
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	21484  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #157
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:

To me this arrangment on the Prilgrim 40 is much more appealing, particularly for a live-aboard

That sure is a beautiful boat and may be my idea of the perfect trawler for a couple, but I may be a bit one sided .

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #158
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:

Awesome layout. Very open and homey.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #159
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
[QUOTE=SCOTTEDAVIS;169238]That sure is a beautiful boat and may be my idea of the perfect trawler for a couple, but I may be a bit one sided .

Beautiful, and looks very comfortable.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #160
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
That sure is a beautiful boat and may be my idea of the perfect trawler for a couple, but I may be a bit one sided .
Beautiful boat Scotte, thanks for those pics.

If you have some more I would really like to see them. We can connect thru private email, or just have a look at my website for one such email address.

I'm so interested in these boats, and would have likely bought that one up in Boston if the other fellow had not beat me to it. That one and yours are two of the nicest I've seen.

I actually have yet to actually board one of these vessels, but hopefully that will change tomorrow when I visit an owner in Annapolis who has invited me aboard.