Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
HAHa Marin I think your chances of being right ore about 100-1 but you're sure right about what the correct name should be "cabin cruiser". Dial it in a bit and you get "Heavy cruiser" halving nothing to do w warships.

But if you ARE right the people you were interacting w probably thought you said "troller" instead of Trawler. Almost everyone knows what a troller is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #82
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I think the only people who associate the word "trawler" with a recreational boat are the people involved with recreational boats. To the general public, a trawler is still a fishing boat.
Could I add that such a point of view is probably coming from living in an area where the public may be a bit more educated by exposure to the commercial fishing industry. I doubt that I could enter a port like Glochester, MA and have anyone refer to my boat as a "trawler" without a giggle at the end, a tongue in cheek, or a obvious smirk. But here in Southern Florida, everyone calls my boat a trawler, mostly because it's slow and has one of those stick thingy that juts up from the deck. One person even asked me if the stick thingy was cosmetic.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But if you ARE right the people you were interacting w probably thought you said "troller" instead of Trawler. Almost everyone knows what a troller is.
Nope. I said "trawler." Trawlers are a much more common type of fishing boat in Europe and Asia (and the SE and southern US) than trollers. In fact if I'd said "troller" these folks most likely wouldn't have had a clue what I was talking about as it's not a term any of them would have heard.

I don't know that there are any true trollers left anymore other than the handful that still work the PNW, BC, and Alaska. It's not a very efficient commercial fishing method. It's only appeal anymore is that the fish don't get as beat up as they do in net fishing so you get a more premium product in terms of appearance.

But trawlers are a major deal in Europe and the UK as many if not most of their commercial fish species are bottom dwellers. Mark Knopfler even wrote a popular song for one of his recent albums called "Trawlerman's Song."

When we were filming in Charleston last year we shot some footage at one of the commercial fishing docks over in Mt. Pleasant (don't ask my why it's called that- there isn't a mountain within a thousand miles of the place). All the boats there were trawlers with huge nets, otter doors, the whole bit.

So trawler, most people all over the world know it's a fishing boat. Troller, probably very few people outside the northwest coast of North America know what it is these days.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #84
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Nsail:

that's what the ignore list is for. Saves a lot of time!
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #85
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
Here are sketches of Tad's Peregrine 76 and Peregrine 86:
Now THOSE are very good looking boats indeed. Thanks for posting the line drawings.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #86
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I tell people (who show any interest), I have a motorboat that can't go faster than eight miles an hour. And in response to their queries: no, I don't fish.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I find just telling anyone who asks we have a trawler style coastal cruiser answers all queries. End of story.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #88

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
At 70 I would prefer a custom build of an aluminum boat 39 long 7.6 wide Atkin style ,Box keel, reverse deadrise ,beachable , that would fit into a std shipping container.
Here are some sketches that Tad Roberts did for me many years ago, on exactly the same idea. Note that the pilothouse unbolts to fit into the container.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volks395.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	17183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volkstrawler.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	17184  
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #89
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Nope. I said "trawler." Trawlers are a much more common type of fishing boat in Europe and Asia (and the SE and southern US) than trollers. In fact if I'd said "troller" these folks most likely wouldn't have had a clue what I was talking about as it's not a term any of them would have heard.

I don't know that there are any true trollers left anymore other than the handful that still work the PNW, BC, and Alaska. It's not a very efficient commercial fishing method. It's only appeal anymore is that the fish don't get as beat up as they do in net fishing so you get a more premium product in terms of appearance.

But trawlers are a major deal in Europe and the UK as many if not most of their commercial fish species are bottom dwellers. Mark Knopfler even wrote a popular song for one of his recent albums called "Trawlerman's Song."

When we were filming in Charleston last year we shot some footage at one of the commercial fishing docks over in Mt. Pleasant (don't ask my why it's called that- there isn't a mountain within a thousand miles of the place). All the boats there were trawlers with huge nets, otter doors, the whole bit.

So trawler, most people all over the world know it's a fishing boat. Troller, probably very few people outside the northwest coast of North America know what it is these days.

not to throw gas on the fire..... oh who am I kidding!

see link below for definition of a " trawler " according to Wikipedia,
I know they are not the end all but.....

Recreational trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #90
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
So we stopped using the word trawler to describe our boat and started using the term "cabin cruiser." While this doesn't paint a picture of a GB in people's minds they immediately grasp the type of boat it is--- a recreational cruising boat.
As a kid on Lake Erie, all the boats of the rich and famous were called "cabin cruisers." Chris-craft and Owens were my favorites and I marveled at the people who had enough money to buy one.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Nsail:

that's what the ignore list is for. Saves a lot of time!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #92
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
This is one I've always liked. Not my ultimate boat, that be a Krogan 52, but a good looking trawler.

More info at:

Coaster 40

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coaster_afloat.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	17198  
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #93
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
This is one I've always liked. Not my ultimate boat, that be a Krogan 52, but a good looking trawler.

More info at:

Coaster 40

Ron
Very nice vessel. The last photos I saw of it, it had been painted a light yellow house/deck with a medium blue hull. Not as appealing to my eye, but probably more appealing to most.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #94
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Very nice vessel. The last photos I saw of it, it had been painted a light yellow house/deck with a medium blue hull. Not as appealing to my eye, but probably more appealing to most.

Damn fine looking boat. I'd like to see the blue hull but I'm not too sure about the yellow house/deck.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #95
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I like the Coaster 40 too Ron. That link would be a good one for Galaxy Girl, and anyone else wanting to know what the difference between a coastal cruiser and a passage maker is and how to sellect used boats accordingly. That boat comes in several configurations depending on ones purpose and the differences are subtle but telling. Michael Kasten and Tad Roberts along with others have fantastic web resources to further anyone's education in design features and how they affect stability and usage.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
This is one I've always liked.
A really "salty" looking boat and very well equipped for expedition type cruising. I love the color!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #97
Guru

...here's my brother in law's Vinette. Steel boat built in Escanaba, MI. Single Cummins. Vinette built many Great Lakes fishing boats as well.

Name:	DSCN1498.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	17202
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #98
Guru

And here's a not so good photo of a custom steel boat that was built somewhere on Lake Superior...think it was Fraser yards in Superior, WI. Displacement hull with a single small John Deere. Designed by Sturgeon Bay Naval Architect Tim Graul (who happens to be our surveyor...and a dang good one at that). Sturgeon Bay, for those who don't know, is the home of Palmer Johnson Yachts.

Name:	DSCN4793.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	17203
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
...here's my brother in law's Vinette.
Attachment 17202
Beautiful boat!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #100
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:

More info at:

Coaster 40

Ron
I like it. where can I buy one have you any idea?