Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #61

If I had a K. Krogen 58 or even the new 52, I would consider myself set for life as far as boats go.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #62

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
And PS, while we are talking Ultimate Trawler, I'll take Tad's Perigrine 76 in steel, with twin Luggers. Maybe he'll post a sketch of that too if we ask pretty please.
Here are sketches of Tad's Peregrine 76 and Peregrine 86:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peregrine76.png
Views:	89
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	17161   Click image for larger version

Name:	peregrine86.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	17162  

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #63
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I basically own my ultimate trawler with some minor changes. However, it interesting that many of the boat listed are long, narrow, low profile and a high D/L ratio. which is what many of the boats back in the 50,60 70 & 80 where.

We prefer pilot houses design with the house pulled back mid way, a reasonable size stern deck and easy access to the swim platform/water/dock. Also interesting that many of the boats do not have side decks, mainly because the being narrow which would make the salon/house extremely narrow. We also like the wide bodies for the added living space.

How ever if I had the bucks and not so attached to the Eagle the Delta and the Northern Marine are my favorites.

Delta 70 ft – Seattle Washington
http://www.deltamarine.com/cp_70007.html

Northern Marina –64 – Anacortes Washington
http://www.northernmarine.com/lrcs.php?sm=lrc

I have been through both plants. At several boat shows/and trawler fest have talk to the owner of the Northern marina at length. Both Delta and Northen Marina are a heck of a boat. Both are also single engine.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #64
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtones View Post
A lot of people think the Dashew FPB does not qualify as a trawler, maybe they are right.
Personally, I don't think there is a better boat out there, if I won the lotto I would be in there like a shot......., and surely we could consider it a trawler that has been subject to the Darwinian theory for a while......?
pretty good write up if it is accurate and took someone lots of work
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The ultimate boat would seem to change with the operators age.

At 70 I would prefer a custom build of an aluminum boat 39 long 7.6 wide Atkin style ,Box keel, reverse deadrise ,beachable , that would fit into a std shipping container.

The transit time it takes to travel could be done by the boat in the box, we would fly over to cruise. .

This opens the entire world to a low cost boat , that need not be oceangoing.

The Euro Canals , the Dalmation coast, New Zeeland , Terra Del Fuego , China , all from the recliner in a 7487.

Such a skinney boat (sez the computer) would run 18K at -5 gph, or 12K at 1.5 gph.

The boat would be built for 2 but could sleep/feed 6 in a very crowded pinch.

Is it a"trawler"?

Nope it would liik like a 1929 Commuter , but it would easily travel the world. High and dry.
not a bad idea. Just be sure you have your passport handy when they open the container to let you out
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #66
Scraping Paint

City: -
To me the "ultimate cruiser" question cannot be answered until another question is answered first. And that is, who's going to maintain and do the work on the boat?

If the answer is "I am" that immediately defines a whole different type of boat than if the answer is "somebody else will."

As to the " ultimate trawler" question, I don't know much at all about trawlers. So I'd have say my ultimate trawler would be one that's real efficient to use, has an easy and fast to deploy and retrieve trawl gear setup, and makes a lot of money for its owner.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #67
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Awhhhh come on Marin. Making this pointless point for the 20th time isn't going to change anything. We all know what a trawler is despite what you think. Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum. In 1950 you were right but now if you refer to a fishing trawler you need to state that fact to keep the conversation on track. This is the trawler forum and none of us has a trawl.

However your "toy boat" contention flies.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #68
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
1971 Bruckman (custom division of C&C) displacement hull, 37' X 11', 22000lbs. (dry), single Perkins HT6-354, 1.2gph at 7.5nm/hr My wife made me sell her for a bigger boat. I will regret caving on that one for the rest of my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCYC LOA.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	17174  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #69
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. Now if y'all are referring to a drawler, there's lots of us southern boys on board...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #70
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. Now if y'all are referring to a drawler, there's lots of us southern boys on board...
ain't that spelled d r o o l e r
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Awhhhh come on Marin. Making this pointless point for the 20th time isn't going to change anything. We all know what a trawler is despite what you think. Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum. In 1950 you were right but now if you refer to a fishing trawler you need to state that fact to keep the conversation on track. This is the trawler forum and none of us has a trawl.

However your "toy boat" contention flies.
....thank you sir. the ultimate trawler is like the ultimate pin up girl, she will be different in everyones eyes and may not even be a girl in some cases. I think mine is similiar to Marin's, seaworthy, economical, comfortable, fast, and almost maintenence free.......no, not economical downright cheap to operate would be better
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
1971 Bruckman (custom division of C&C) displacement hull, 37' X 11', 22000lbs. (dry), single Perkins HT6-354, 1.2gph at 7.5nm/hr My wife made me sell her for a bigger boat. I will regret caving on that one for the rest of my life.
should have told her to get her own boat to play with then. I mean every family would be happier with more than one boat anyway
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #73
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Drooler...Could be...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Drooler...Could be...
yur dawg? not a black and tan? I used to have redbones and raised treeing walker for bear hunting for a spell. Lotsa them in the south. Aint nuttin better than the sound of your strike dog picking up the scent and off ya go! Yahooooo.......I could tell hound stories fur hours. Do9n't do that stuff anymore the mountains grew to tall and me belly too big
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #75

City: Benicia CA
Couldn't it also be called drivel? And speaking of drivel, I notice Mr Floyd has almost 1000 post in only a few months! Must be some sort of record!

Ha Ha ! Sorry, I couldn't resist! All in fun.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #76
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum.
I think you're wrong there. When we got the GB friends and co-workers here and abroad would ask what kind of boat we had. Knowing they wouldn't know what a Grand Banks was we'd say we had a trawler. And EVERY time the next question was, "Oh, do you fish commercially with it?"

I think the only people who associate the word "trawler" with a recreational boat are the people involved with recreational boats. To the general public, a trawler is still a fishing boat.

So we stopped using the word trawler to describe our boat and started using the term "cabin cruiser." While this doesn't paint a picture of a GB in people's minds they immediately grasp the type of boat it is--- a recreational cruising boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Couldn't it also be called drivel? And speaking of drivel, I notice Mr Floyd has almost 1000 post in only a few months! Must be some sort of record!

Ha Ha ! Sorry, I couldn't resist! All in fun.
....yep, you be correct. all in good fun
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #78
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Perfect trawler yacht? For me Delfin's pretty close.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #79
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
For me and the inside passage/Gulf of Alaska, one of these:

Hatteras 60MY

That picture of the Hatteras 60 ... while decidedly untrawlerly, though with modern engines will go trawler speeds very nicely and has a wonderful layout, always reminds me of this pic I took on one.

"You know your engine room is big enough when you start thinking about where to mount the basketball hoop":

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
That picture of the Hatteras 60 ... while decidedly untrawlerly, though with modern engines will go trawler speeds very nicely and has a wonderful layout, always reminds me of this pic I took on one.

"You know your engine room is big enough when you start thinking about where to mount the basketball hoop":

geez....your engine room is nice