The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the "ultimate trawler" is the one in your slip with a full fuel tank, no mortgage, no time restraints, and the bride loves it. Doesn't matter what color your engine is, no anchor specifics, twin or single screw, electronics or not..... Just go and do.
At 72, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Watson 76 or a Dashew FPB

That is so funny since we have the same boat. I was just posting Watson 72, Dashews FPB or Delfins Romsdal !

Attachments

• gsr1440_do.jpg
    gsr1440_do.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 423
  • trawler.png
    trawler.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
That's the Watson 48 and Dashew's boat this last summer in Southwest Harbor, Maine.

Attachments

• P1070716.jpg
    P1070716.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 801
  • P1070718.jpg
    P1070718.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG1983.jpg
    IMAG1983.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 552
Boy that 48' sure has covered some country.
They sailed her accross the ditch for the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show from New Zealand just after she was built.
I had a great tour around with one of the Watson Bros.
A truely magnificent small ship.
Benn

Boy that 48' sure has covered some country.
They sailed her accross the ditch for the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show from New Zealand just after she was built.
I had a great tour around with one of the Watson Bros.
A truely magnificent small ship.
Benn

They had her shipped to Miami and then cruised her up the east coast. The owner posted either here or on the old Passagemaker site I can't remember which. They brought her to her home in Rock Hall, MD. Less then a year or so later the young owner died suddenly. His widow sold the boat. Very sad to achieve your dreams and then pass before enjoying the rewards.

Less then a year or so later the young owner died suddenly. His widow sold the boat. Very sad to achieve your dreams and then pass before enjoying the rewards.

Wow, does that suck or what? But, I guess that's a dilemma facing most of us wage slaves still toiling away.

That dashew boat is not even a trawler but I sure like all the other choices.

I think this vessel belongs to one of this forum's members.

I believe he cruises the Sea of Cortez.

Last one built.

The lines are right - without the flybridge.

my favorite production boat.

Attachments

• w40-aloha.jpg
    w40-aloha.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 271
I think this vessel belongs to one of this forum's members.

I believe he cruises the Sea of Cortez.

Last one built.

The lines are right - without the flybridge.

my favorite production boat.

Nice. A Willard?

Watson 76 or a Dashew FPB

A lot of people think the Dashew FPB does not qualify as a trawler, maybe they are right.
Personally, I don't think there is a better boat out there, if I won the lotto I would be in there like a shot......., and surely we could consider it a trawler that has been subject to the Darwinian theory for a while......?

Yes.
This is a Willard 40 Pilothouse and owned by Patrick and is usually in Mexico. I believe his username is Aloahboat.
To list it as an ideal trawler is very fitting as I think half the people on this forum would find this boat to be a keeper. I almost extended myself to buy a W40 myself but they seem a bit too big for me. Out in the nasty no such thing of course. The W40 I was considering was also a pilothouse model and it is very similar to the Krogen 42. Most trawler guys run at disp speeds and would be better off w a boat like this W40. By the way she is powered by the small John Deere 135hp engine. And yes Patrick is a member and may chime in.

Yes.
This is a Willard 40 Pilothouse and owned by Patrick and is usually in Mexico. I believe his username is Aloahboat.
To list it as an ideal trawler is very fitting as I think half the people on this forum would find this boat to be a keeper.

This is one I often come back to when dreaming of the next boat. Mostly because it just seems so "right" in so many ways. Whether or not it is the appropriate boat for how I'm likely to use it is another matter entirely.

When we were down to our final four mono-hull choices, the Willard 40 and Hatteras 42 LRC were our west-coast choices (supposing we were sent to LA or SF), and the Krogen Manatee 36 or Pilgrim 40 on the east coast. Our next posting ended up being Miami, so....

At the time we were looking, a sumptuous John Deere powered Willard 40 in nearly "new" condition was for sale on the west coast, I think Seattle. Eric probably remembers this one...I think it was featured on one of the popular boat rags. For me, this was the ultimate reach-able trawler for us. A Krogen 39 was a high dollar comparison with its better engine room, but we loved the layout of the Willard 40. The boat was meat & potatoes based, and when you added a few upgrades....wow! If it isn't the ultimate trawler, I think it may be the ultimate 40 ft. trawler. Honorable mention are the Ducks.

For me and the inside passage/Gulf of Alaska, one of these:

53' GB Aleutian RP

feature1.jpg

Hampton 620PH

20130111052357814.jpg

Hatteras 60MY

Love everything mentioned here, from the sailboat to the Flemming to the Dashew's boat (my personal "when I hit the lotto" boat. Another I really admire that is closer to reality is the Camano 41. They only built a very few and they are now marketed as the Bracewell 41. Very roomy and fuel efficient with a decent turn of speed.

You know...I never have even seen a Camano/Bracewell 41 and I'd like to. The Camano is a stout craft. Maybe it's a goodie.

Camano/Bracewell 41

camano-41-PIL.jpg

Camano41_10_06_02.jpg

Bracewell41_100110-4.jpg

camano41-yacht-g6.jpg

Last edited:
After reading Carolena's mention of the Bracewell/Camano 41, I searched Yachtworld and also found those photos. Looks like they stayed true to the Camano format. There's a lot of dedication to glass and light. My Admiral would love that. Sure does cut down on the galley storage though. Very nice boat.....looks like a Camano. Love the integrated swim platform and full keel/skeg.

That dashew boat is not even a trawler but I sure like all the other choices.
Eric

You're right, the FPBs are too fast, too seaworthy and too fuel efficient.

But, back to TF reality for a moment, Delfin's Romsdel is certainly worthy of being near the top of the list.

+1 on Delfin's Romsdel steeler!:thumb:

the ultimate trawler is one thats paid for and creates no stress on ones budget so all you need to do is enjoy yout toy, For some this may be a row boat with a cooler for others the sky's the limit

After reading Carolena's mention of the Bracewell/Camano 41, I searched Yachtworld and also found those photos. Looks like they stayed true to the Camano format. There's a lot of dedication to glass and light. My Admiral would love that. Sure does cut down on the galley storage though. Very nice boat.....looks like a Camano. Love the integrated swim platform and full keel/skeg.

The Bracewell is a beautiful vessel. I had the pleasure of getting a tour of one a couple of weeks ago, and wow. Way out of my price range but wow.

They built 8 of them in BC but recently shipped the moulds over to China, where they will now be manufactured.

It would certainly be my ultimate trawler.

They built 8 of them in BC but recently shipped the moulds over to China, where they will now be manufactured.

That's a shame...more jobs lost.

Since we are dreaming, my ultimate Trawler would look similar to Tad Robert's Passagemaker Lite 56 Passagemaker Lite 56 - Tad Roberts' fast, seaworthy, fuel-efficient long-range passagemaker, however it would have a 12' beam, instead of 13', to make it transportable without a pilot car in California (CA). It would also be a little longer than 56' so I could fit in a second state room with a island queen.

I'd keep the forward stateroom(s) but I'd lengthen the Pilothouse to make a combined Pilothouse and saloon with the galley up and nearly 360 degree visibility. I'd move the engines under the enlarged pilothouse and have a full beam master stateroom aft of the pilothouse. The upper control station would be above the aft stateroom and aft of the pilothouse to keep the center of mass low for stability and the height low for transport-ability. Some of the increased length would be used to provide a decent sized cockpit for fishing and diving. I estimate the total length would be about 66', which would make her very fuel efficient with a L/B of 5.5.

As long as the beam is <=12', the height on the trailer is <=14' and the total length with truck is <100', it could be transported without a pilot car in CA, OR and WA (along with most Western states i.e. AZ, NM, TX ...).

If the boat was going to be too unstable with a 12' beam or to improve the layout, the beam could be increased to <=14' with a proportional decrease in length to ~56'. This would necessitate a pilot car in CA (but not OR or WA) and increase annual round trip to WA cost by ~$2,000, however the reduced length would save ~$1,500 annually in slip fees (in So Cal). L/B would be 4:1 so it would still be pretty fuel efficient. Another advantage of the shorter length is it would increase the number of marinas that could accommodate her.

I'd keep the forward stateroom(s) but I'd lengthen the Pilothouse to make a combined Pilothouse and saloon with the galley up and nearly 360 degree visibility. I'd move the engines under the enlarged pilothouse and have a full beam master stateroom aft of the pilothouse. The upper control station would be above the aft stateroom and aft of the pilothouse to keep the center of mass low for stability and the height low for transport-ability. Some of the increased length would be used to provide a decent sized cockpit for fishing and diving. I estimate the total length would be about 66', which would make her very fuel efficient with a L/B of 5.5.

This is pretty funny... Maybe Tad will post the very similar design he sketched for me a few years ago, his Express 70.

And PS, while we are talking Ultimate Trawler, I'll take Tad's Perigrine 76 in steel, with twin Luggers. Maybe he'll post a sketch of that too if we ask pretty please.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom