Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #221
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I recall that most engines that are found in our old trawlers are most efficient at about 1800rpm or so. Bottom line is that if you run close to full bore you bay a penalty and if you run less than a 50 to 70% load you burn pay even a larger penalty.

I like TAD's comment about weight. A twin engined 36GB running the way most do now (underloaded) you pay two rather large penalties. You've got twice as much power as the single engined boat so running slow (7.5 knots) both engines are at about 25 to 30% load. Far far away from the most efficient speed and load for best efficiency. The single engined boat would run under a load of about 55%. Much better. If propped right that would be (a guess here) about 1900 to 2000rpm.
Also the 2nd engine and all that it has for support equipment weighs over a ton. We frequently talk about the power requirement for a displacement boat as "X # of tons per hp" The only variable there is weight. Hmmmmm Must have a very significant effect on the amount of power required to drive a given hull.

So there is one significant and one large reason that the single engined boat will be more efficient. Of course if the twin engined boat was to have one engine twice the power of the single it would be not far from the same.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #222
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny...my boat and some who have posted actual floscan numbers for their Lehmans on 36-42 foot trawlers seem to do best (NMPG wise) at around 1500...

Someone posted pictures of a floscan several times that had 5 NMPG at 1500rpm where it dropped to 4 NMPG at 1600rpm and down to 3 NMPG at 1750rpm.

Whether the engine is more efficient at 1800 or not I can't say...but the whole system (actual cruising numbers) is better down around 1500 for a FL120.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #223
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
TAD has posted the usual almost useless graphs pushed by the engine folks.
I disagree, the propeller demand curve is an approximation (as mentioned by myself and others above), and should be taken as such. But it's better than nothing or just using the Max output curve. On that 600 Lugger the difference between max and the prop curve at 1800 is 370 (Prop) and 540 (prop shaft), a huge difference in fuel consumption.

Quote:

Its useful for full throttle operation , after that its all math speculation concerning prop hp ,loading and fuel burn..

The problem is the fuel burn curves are for a fully loaded engine at that operating RPM.
If you check at the bottom of the posted table, you'll see that curve #5 is "Fuel use based on prop power draw". Not on fully loaded engine.

Quote:
Called a fuel map , they are almost impossible to obtain .
Not impossible....but there's some creative graphics going on with them as well, here's one from MAN and from CAT. They are quite different looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelmap.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	22370

Name:	3208fuel.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	22371
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #224
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I recall that most engines that are found in our old trawlers are most efficient at about 1800rpm or so. Bottom line is that if you run close to full bore you bay a penalty and if you run less than a 50 to 70% load you burn pay even a larger penalty.

I like TAD's comment about weight. A twin engined 36GB running the way most do now (underloaded) you pay two rather large penalties. You've got twice as much power as the single engined boat so running slow (7.5 knots) both engines are at about 25 to 30% load. Far far away from the most efficient speed and load for best efficiency. The single engined boat would run under a load of about 55%. Much better. If propped right that would be (a guess here) about 1900 to 2000rpm.
Also the 2nd engine and all that it has for support equipment weighs over a ton. We frequently talk about the power requirement for a displacement boat as "X # of tons per hp" The only variable there is weight. Hmmmmm Must have a very significant effect on the amount of power required to drive a given hull.

So there is one significant and one large reason that the single engined boat will be more efficient. Of course if the twin engined boat was to have one engine twice the power of the single it would be not far from the same.
Not just the added weight penalty, there's additional drag from the extra shaft, struts, prop, and rudder.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #225
Guru

Re TAD's comment again the fuel efficiency may not be load dependent so for our purposes dosn't make much difference. . It may mostly just be rpm dependent. In other words generally the best fuel economy will be found at a given rpm or rpm range and for that to prevail both at high and low loads. Would be nice to know if you were to buy the engine in TAD's example and having read that 1400rpm is best for fuel economy knowing if that's true in the average situation on a boat.

FF you play down the importance of a 20% fuel savings and you've stressed for years about the great benefits of over propping when that only saves 5% or so. ?????

Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #226
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Not just the added weight penalty, there's additional drag from the extra shaft, struts, prop, and rudder.
A few here have run their own real world tests between single ops of a twin and twin ops...they see something like a 25% or so gain in efficiency on their boats...sound a little high but I have no reason to doubt them.

I'm sure the added drag is most of it...the weight on the smaller boats could be significant but I wouldn't suspect as much as the running gear.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #227
Guru

Back on topic......

Skookum Maru is one of my all-time favorite trawler yacht designs and, for me is probably very close to the ultimate.

http://wolfemarine.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=261396 3&ybw=&hosturl=wolfemarine&&units=FeetĄcy=SEK&acce ss=Public&listing_id=1450&url=&hosturl=wolfemarine &
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #228
Guru

And then.....for the fellow who needs a "Dooms Day Boat"....There's Favonius....complete with twin get home engines and 4000 usg of fuel......

Wolfe Marine Sales, Inc. (Seattle, WA)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #229
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
And then.....for the fellow who needs a "Dooms Day Boat"....There's Favonius....complete with twin get home engines and 4000 usg of fuel......

http://wolfemarine.com/core/listing/...oat_id=2613040

Wow, I love it. My kind of boat. Even the engine room looks...well..sort of less than perfect, and for REAL, just like mine. My only criticism is the pokey ports all round. In this day and age you want better forward vision and views from living areas. An improvement which would make the boat, would be to hack out those small round ports and put in bigger rectangular windows, (quite do-able with steel), but stout ones which would not compromise her ocean worthiness to any real extent. Then she would be perfect.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #230

City: St Louis
Quote:

Not to accidentally derail this thread twice, but I wonder what the rationale/conops is for the three engine setup?
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #231

I guess my entry in the Ultimate Trawler would be George Buehler's 50' Sedan version of his Diesel Duck line.

http://dieselducks.com/50%20Duck%20Sedan.html

Asboats in Turkey built a variation on the design:
http://www.asboat.com/photo-49sedan.html

I'd go for a different interior style, but I sure do like the overall configuration.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #232
Guru

I thought I recognized Skookum Maru.
Here she is at the LaConner Boat Show not this year but last.
I thought I saw her in the channel this year (while I was working on Willy)right after the show probably going home.

I agree. Near perfect hull form, perfect hull material and perfect engine.

Even for a wood boat it seems like a giveaway price. She must have issues. I think she's been for sale for at least 2 years.

Peter what is it? I have no problems w the windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0707 copy.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	22373  

Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #233
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:

Holy Crap! If I ever got caught in the perfect storm, that would be the perfect boat to have. Even "Maverick" is a compromise in comparison to Favonius.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005...s#.UhlqBUaAqHI
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #234
FF
Guru

Someone interested in a Doomsday boat will probably give up the big glass high water view motor boat and purchase and aux sail or motor sail.

Doomsday will be world wide , not simply the collapse of one country , so fuel which requires great international trade co operation may be difficult to obtain.

Wind is FREE , and Ocean Passages for the World show the sail routes in great detail.

A custom crunch boat would be set up to survive in the old way,

wood range, sun covers and excellent ventilation , large water tanks with rain catch refill ability.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #235
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:

What kind of "penalty" are you talking about?

The first thing you need to do is separate engine fuel efficiency from how "efficient" your recreational boat might be. You aren't running that thing in the liner trades and making routine voyages between Seattle and Sydney so what do you really care what the specific fuel consumption is?

To put that into some kind of perspective that might hopefully make sense and get you and others off the "engine efficiency" thing, look at the tables posted by Roberts.

At 2800 rpm that CAT burns 14.2 gph to put 260 hp into the prop. It burns 6.112 ounces of fuel an hour to produce one hp at full load.

It burns 6.368 ounces to produce one hp at 1500 rpm.

It burns 5.824 ounces to produce one hp at 2200 rpm.

Considering that at 1500 rpm the engine burns 2.3 gallons per hour and at 2800 rpm it burns 14.2 gallons per hour and at 2200 rpm it burns 6.5, the difference between highest efficiency and lowest is a whopping increase of .034 ounces per hp to obtain a net reduction in fuel burn of 617 percent.

An 8.5 percent "penalty" in BSFC seems fairly reasonable to obtain a 617 percent reduction in fuel burn, particularly if the boat speed is reduced by only a knot or 3.

Your time might be better spent in finding a way to move a reasonable load between A and B in the time you allot and in the most comfortable manner at a cost you are happy to accept. I don't think you will accomplish that by trying to micro-analyze engine efficiency.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #236
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Peter what is it? I have no problems w the windows.
Favonius only has small round ports about 8-10 inches, (ok, maybe 12 inches), across even facing forwards to steer through Eric. Don't you think a somewhat larger forward visibility potential would be desirable...? One could argue about the side view to look at scenery, I admit, but if I'm crossing oceans, and exploring remote parts of the world, the only reason to own such a vessel, then I would want to see more of what I was paying plenty to see...just sayin'...
Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #237
Guru

Rick wrote;

"What kind of "penalty" are you talking about"

Re Fuel consumption on the GB 36 example boat.

First penalty is having two engines to do the work of one means they will both be extremely underloaded and futher away from the best spot on the efficiency curve.

The second penalty is the excessive weight from the extra engine causes more wetted surface and more wave making resistance.

So the double engined boat is less efficient at trawler speeds for two significant reasons as stated above.

That's all I was saying.

"Your time might be better spent in finding a way to move a reasonable load between A and B in the time you allot and in the most comfortable manner at a cost you are happy to accept. I don't think you will accomplish that by trying to micro-analyze engine efficiency."

Indeed I will be the one who decides how my time is spent and I've always said we obsess about fuel consumption. Too much attention spend on too little. But when something interesting comes up I'll prolly jump in and talk about it just because it's interesting ... not to save fuel. Willy burns 1 gph and I'm certainly not going to make much of any effort to improve on that.

Also is your 617% really supposed to be 6.17%? Couldn't get my head around that.

Oh yes Peter I was looking at the other boat ... Skookum Maru. Sorry.
I don't really care for Favonius.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #238
Veteran Member

City: Aberdeen
Vessel Name: Orcades
Vessel Model: 1973 Malahide 57' 80 ton
Ultimate trawler

This big heavy Malahide gives a easy 7 knots at 1500 rpm . 260 hp 6 cyl Volvo Turbo , about 3 nmpg , wing engine 150 hp yanmar 5 knots at 1800 rpm.
All in easy weather ! Together full blast about 10 knots , didn't count the nmpg !
Just bombed it home !!
Orcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Someone interested in a Doomsday boat will probably give up the big glass high water view motor boat and purchase and aux sail or motor sail.

Doomsday will be world wide , not simply the collapse of one country , so fuel which requires great international trade co operation may be difficult to obtain.

Wind is FREE , and Ocean Passages for the World show the sail routes in great detail.

A custom crunch boat would be set up to survive in the old way,

wood range, sun covers and excellent ventilation , large water tanks with rain catch refill ability.
This sounds like you've already given this serious consideration! Every day I open the paper I wonder if its time to start work on an arc!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #240
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Your time might be better spent in finding a way to move a reasonable load between A and B in the time you allot and in the most comfortable manner at a cost you are happy to accept. I don't think you will accomplish that by trying to micro-analyze engine efficiency.
Amen! As I stated previously, the mental gymnastics that have been posted on the engine efficiency subject don't mean much (if anything) to the recreational boater. There are so many other subjects that affect safety, comfort and cost that are relative to our boats.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote