Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Ugliest Trawler in the World? Nordhavn?

Carl,

Most trawlers aren't ugly but the're chunky looking things that don't stand a chance of winning the beauty contest compared to Sport Fishermen or fast European yachts. I know what you're thinking about**** ...the kind of Bayliner type boat that looks more like a jacuzzi or spa than a boat in the stern and the over styled pilot houses/salons that**** ...I give up but they don't look like any part of them could possibly have come from a boat. But if you, no I were going to show someone a really beautiful boat I would'nt even look at trawlers*** ...I'd go straight to availible pictures of large yachts** ...mostly faster than a trawler. A Fleming or a GB Alaskan are the only trawlers I can think of that are beautiful. But the're are lots of custom yachts and Sport Fishermen that are stunning. Sorry Carl but I think trawlers are mostly on the stogy side. Form may follow function but it's usually an accident if it results in real beauty. Here is a heavy cruising yacht (not a trawler) that is truly beautiful but not stunning however timeless it's beauty may be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 163.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	5554  

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Ugliest Trawler in the World? Nordhavn?

Hey Nomad Willy, I saw that picture and I went through my old files and found this. It was about five years ago here in Everett, WA. She was on the hard, but I drove by and thought what a pretty boat.

-- Edited by Max Simmons on Friday 1st of April 2011 11:48:01 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010086.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	5555  

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:
There is a similar older Berlin registered 46 here in our marina.
The German couple are on their 2 nd circumcision of the world on it.
They have done a couple previously in their sail boat.
Benn
*Hey Benn,

If that is Jonathon and Heidi Haas please say hi from Don & Anja (ex sv Kekada). We met them in Panama and they were somewhat instrumental in our decision to switch to power. We also love the N46 but preferred a newer boat. We didn't like the newer Nords and eventually discovered the Seahorse we are currently having built.

Don

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #24
FF
Guru

Nordy has the same problems as other trawler assemblers.

Few if any will be beyond the 100 fathom line , but it seems ALL want the space of a 55 meter boat in a 55 ft boat.

Since form follows function , and the owners function is mere volume , that is what sells.

While they were sold (with more honest descriptions of their day) I think many of the old Trumphy "House Boats " (there term not mine) were perfect for what most "trawlers" actually do.

The Choy Lee 66 looks good enough that I would not sell a free one.

For really good looking trawlery boats Bill Garden is one of my heroes.

But unsellable today as the BQ (bloat quotent). is too low
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Don,
That is they. I will say hello.
A well travelled couple if ever there was one.
My biggest problem with the Nordies and other LRC units is that they do not have a big enough back deck.
It all seems to be about inside space and a toilet for each person on board.
The back deck & BBQ are where it all happens either at sea, at anchor or in port.
Gees I'm getting verbose about these things.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #26
FF
Guru

My biggest problem with the Nordies and other LRC units is that they do not have a big enough back deck.
It all seems to be about inside space and a toilet for each person on board.
The back deck & BBQ are where it all happens either at sea, at anchor or in port.
Gees I'm getting verbose about these things.

Come visit!

Our 50 loa toy has the last 15 ft as deck area.

The fridge freezer is there aw well as the BBQ.

With a 10x10 sun cover (box store $60. US) and RV reclining chairs or a set of hammocks its grand.

Of course the interior is reduced to what one would have with a 30 ft boat (5ft unusable for collision bulkhead).

The PH is 10x10 and opens on all 4 sides , so it works.

Sleeps 2, parties , well the Navy carried 150.....
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

On the subject of Krogens: I have seen a couple of 42' "Silhouette" models on YW which look nothing like the traditional Krogen trawlers. They have asking prices considerably below the standard build 42's, but otherwise I haven't been able to find out anything about them, other than they were only made in a few numbers.

Anybody familiar with the boat?

-- Edited by ARoss on Saturday 2nd of April 2011 09:04:34 AM
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The boats name in the picture is the Montego and its moored in the new Everett Marina.* She was for sale when we bought the Eagle but to much boat and required to much work and big bucks to be invested in her. *The Everett ship yard was out side our gate.* The Everett ship yard was forced to move to a new location.
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.* I think most post 1990 trawler, especially trawlers with with the high profile and wantabe forward slanting windows are on the ugly side.* The older classic boats/trawler had lines/style/class to them as they where more sleeker and low profile.* On my work computer I have a site of older classic boats*that will make you drool that I will post Monday.*****
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Phil,

You better not let us down now after that promise as I'm already drooling.

Phil wrote "wantabe forward slanting windows are on the ugly side.* The older classic boats/trawler had lines/style/class to them as they where more sleeker and low profile." You're showing you're connection to association as the means to preferring a certain style. However I agree w you and probably partly or largely due to my age.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #30

Ok. So after all of these responses, I will consider myself wrong on this point. The general consensus here is that Nordhavn's are fine looking vessels. Great discussion. Good points raised. Just fyi: I've quoted a few of the posters here on the positive side to give the article some balance!
trawlerblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Phil,

You better not let us down now after that promise as I'm already drooling.

Phil wrote "wantabe forward slanting windows are on the ugly side.* The older classic boats/trawler had lines/style/class to them as they where more sleeker and low profile." You're showing you're connection to association as the means to preferring a certain style. However I agree w you and probably partly or largely due to my age.
As promised http://www.flickr.com/groups/classicmotoryachts/pool/* Not the one Ias going to post, which does not work, but will due.
The Malibu, Thea Foss, Virginia V and many of the rum runners are moored on Lake Union/Washington.* The Malibu and Thea Foss where moored the next marina over from us and the professional captain/crew keep. ***The Thea Foss was know for crashing through docks as she is steel.* The Malibu sank, rolled over when aground about 10 years. I heard the retrofit was 3 million.* The Malibu rolling over is why I want to instlled bilge keels on the Eagle to help prevent rolling over.*
Each 4<sup>th</sup> of July, there at the Wood Boat Center they have a classic boat show tham many of the classic boats shown come to. Most of the classic boats under 45 ft are boat house keep, but most over 45 ft are out side in the 10 months of PNW weather. The Eagle was the closed trawler boats that my wife could find that that had the classic line/charm that we could afford at the time.*
Anyway, enjoy and don't drool to much***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 4th of April 2011 11:24:18 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 4th of April 2011 11:44:56 AM

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote