Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Detroit
Two questions regarding the Great Loop

1. Is there a definitive book on the loop? One containing maps, marinas, anchorage, repair facilities, dining, etc etc? A book to help me understand and prepare for the trip, and possibly give me many options.

2. Any advice and getting the first mate prepared, enthused, interested? Maybe see question 1? In this advice category, please feel free to offer what you consider as good advice such as be on the Mississippi by this date, or do not exceed a length, beam, or draft of...... Anything you deem very important.

Thank you for any help I might get. Bill

moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
Answer this two Questions:
Where are you starting from?
How much time you plan for this trip?

Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Detroit
We will start in Grosse Pointe, Mi (Detroit). The timing will likely depend on my wife, our health, our finances, etc etc. I would guess no less than three months and no more than twelve months. Then maybe go do it again and see what we missed, or possibly in a different boat better suited based on what we learned. Thanks!
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Interactive forums like this one are tough to beat.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
from..... https://www.greatloop.org/content.as...dule_id=185488

About AGLCA (America Great Loop Cruisers Association)

AGLCA's members range from experienced Loopers to boaters in the midst of Looping; from those planning on one day cruising the Great Loop to those simply exhilarated by the process of learning about the journey. Every level of interest is welcome, no restrictions or limitations! Whether you're young or just young at heart, still working or retired, ready to travel full-time or only every-so-often; whether you've got a powerboat, sailboat, trawler, rowboat or no boat; whether you are doing the Great Loop or dreaming, you'll fit right in, come aboard!

Join this group as they have all the resources and info that is up to date....not like most books or cruising guides....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Kind of a big website on the subject

Capt. John Cruising America's Great Loop,best map and route,
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
We did it last year, but we went Tenn-Tom instead of Mississippi River. No regrets. Commercial traffic allot lighter. One thing to watch on Tenn-Tom are fisherman's on the flat bottom boats are everywhere. By the time you see them it is already too late. Your wake will rock them hard. Happens to me few times. Totally unintentional. Feel very sorry.
Barges are smaller then on Miss. river. The biggest one I saw was 3X3 pushed by tug. Night runs are not suggested unless well equipped (Radar, AIS, Search lights and Thermal/Night vision camera) . Locks - no problem. Longest wait time 20 min.
Get Coastal Explorer Software for planning and second Nav station. Autopilot is a must have.
Good Luck! If you need any other info, just ask. Will be glad to help you.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Guru

Limiting yourself to Capt John's perspective is like saying the only boat in the world worth owning is a Whaler with a Merc on it.

Good, but limiting.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Limiting yourself to Capt John's perspective is like saying the only boat in the world worth owning is a Whaler with a Merc on it.

Good, but limiting.
See if you can find a magazine named, "Waterway explorer," that might be some help (not an endorsement) Same folks that put out the Waterways Guide. If you find their site, (waterwayguide.com) they maintain they update their data daily.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #10

Capt. John has a perspective. One worth reading as the entry fee is easy to make.

There are a lot of other sources, this is just one.
Just like there are a lot of different types of boats.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Guru

Exactly why I pointed a potential looper to a whole organization geared towards looping and not a single person or small organization with strong personal opinions.

The AGLCA has everything from forums, multiple resources, harbor hosts for local knowledge/assistance, podcasts, money deals.....etc...etc

Kinda hard to beat that resource....
Old 06-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Agree that AGLCA is probably the best resource. There are books on Amazon that deal with the loop.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #13

The down side to the AGLA site is an $80 a year membership fee. Which appears to be a $10 bump from the old fee. If the OP is going to do the loop this year the fee might be worth it.

Otherwise one might join during the year one is actually going. The OP is asking about boat dimensions. I take that to mean the OP does not have a vessel at this point. I could be wrong about that and finding a free source may work for the moment. Even if it is a bias point of view.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Yes, it does cost to join AGLCA, but if the cost helps you buy the right boat and helps stop you from buying the wrong boat, what is that worth? Besides if you canít afford $80 a year, you probably canít afford to do the loop. He asked about getting his SO excited about the loop, isnít that worth $80 if it does get the SO excited?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #15

Only the OP can answer that question. I only posted an alternative perspective.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Guru

Capt John is but one....there are literally hundreds or more perspectives on the site.

You can pay a little to get a little, or a bit more to get way more...and can ask questions pertaining to today...from boats to places to random ideas, etc...etc....

If a person is just starting out...it's an excellent place to start building your info for loop planning.

I probably will never do the loop.... but it's a great resource for many things including just snowbirding the ACIW. That's because there are hundreds of boats and harbor hosts out there that may be within a stones throw of where I am an may be able to help literally withing minutes in all sorts of ways.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #17

City: Hilton Head Island
So to answer your second question, let me share with you what we are doing and see if any of this might work for your first mate. I try to make trips for her She likes quick trips to marinas, restaurants, sight seeing. She gave me a short list of must haves on the next boat: gennie, a/c, shower, washing machine, double helm seats electronic s galore. She wants to visit Nantucket, great loop, keys, etc. She doesn't want to drive but likes being the line monkey.
I can work with this plan!
Hope some of this helps.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Buffalo
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 400 DB
AGLCA. They have a Facebook page. I’m not into fb but the admiral is at it everyday. Maybe that’s a start.
Consider attending the fall rendezvous in Alabama. It is in October, they should be announcing registration soon, don’t wait, it sells out fast. 3-4 days of seminars ranging from navigation to reluctant spouses. A few fun activities, and the “looper crawl” where the boats currently looping open their boats up for tour by the folks that are in the planning stage. Can see a bunch of different style boats actually looping with people actually living on them, great for the mrs to talk about storage space, meal prep, what do you really need and don’t need to bring along, etc. there’s nothing like hanging out with a group of like minded people having the time of their lives to get you and or the admiral pumped up.
AGLCA #10069
Completed America's Great Loop 2017
drillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Portland, TN
Vessel Name: Roundabout
Vessel Model: 2000 Donzi Z275
I have been researching the Great Loop. I have joined AGLCA and i have more than received my money's worth in information and sound advice from boaters of all sizes. Ron Stob has done the loop multiple times, and has written several books on the topic. They are available on Amazon. Also Skipper Bob cruising guides are great too. I am doing to loop in sections. I have met some great people and learned alot in my journey so far. Earlier this year, Capt John and several Gold and platinum loopers published "cruising the great loop ". Everyone does it differently, but i stand to benefit from the collective knowledge of those who have gone before me. I did my first multi- night cruise close to home from Nikejack Lake to Chattanooga. Got the bug now.

As for the right boat i started big and as i learned about the expense and upkeep of larger boats my sights got smaller and cheaper. I have a 27ft Donzi and a crew cab dually to pull it. All in all, i have about $30k invested. Ron stob and his wife did the loop in their 26ft "Little Looper". They are my inspiration.

Have fun crawling all over as many boats as possible and the right one will come along.

Hope to see you'all on the water.
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #20

City: SchoolHouse Branch
The crowded events might not be your thing. Maybe you want to get away from it all. The information is still good. You can use it to avoid crowds too.

Boat is offline   Reply With Quote