Two Cruise Ships Collide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the one ship was tied up at the dock, it was not a collision.

Somebody will lose their job over that.

Somebody will lose their job over that.
Why would you say that? The captain who ran the Nantucket fast ferry up on the Hyannisport breakwater, on a clear night, over a mile from where he should have been, is still working.

Dumb pilot. With all the control they have that should not happen. Someone was not paying attention.

Why would you say that? The captain who ran the Nantucket fast ferry up on the Hyannisport breakwater, on a clear night, over a mile from where he should have been, is still working.

The captain of the Norwegian Dream was fired when the ship hit a barge in the Montevideo Channel in broad daylight.

Those ships both seem to from Carnival Line.

Wasn’t he having a fist fight with the first mate? :facepalm:

Where did this happen? I’m assuming in port?

Most times an incident of that nature happens, the responsible party is fired because there are so many qualified people without a single mark on their records waiting to take over. If that Nantucket ferry driver is still working, it is likely a family connection or rather poor standards of the line officials.

May I commend to your reading an article which the Chief of Naval Operations used to make it a practice to send along with every set of orders to new prospective commanding officers, me included, as fair warning that no mistakes would be tolerated. One year in the not too recent past, twenty six commanding officers of ships and aviation units were relieved, some simply because their boss no longer retained confidence in their ability to command effectively.

Hobson’s Choice - The Commanding Officer

If the one ship was tied up at the dock, it was not a collision.
The collision happened around 8:50 Friday morning, according to WPST. The Carnival Glory was coming into the dock when it was pulled into the Carnival Legend, already moored.

The captain of the Norwegian Dream was fired when the ship hit a barge in the Montevideo Channel in broad daylight.

Those ships both seem to from Carnival Line.

Strangely, the Dream was supposed to dock in Cozumel today as well, but the captain chose to bypass the attempt after getting very close to the dock and seeing the windy conditions. Some say he was zipping right along, but had the sense to keep going. This was an hour before the Carnival incident.

Most times an incident of that nature happens, the responsible party is fired because there are so many qualified people without a single mark on their records waiting to take over.

Reminds me of my old boss who used to repeatedly remind me that "I can hire a Lebanese engineer for half your salary!"

Dkhd - but unfortunately it's true. There's always an ass to fill any seat.

Last edited:
From what I saw on the original video, appeared bow of ship on left swiped stern of ship on right. Not so. Ship on left was docked. Watch stern thrust on right ship - he was trying to steer out of the collision and in so doing, swung stern into bow of ship on left. What's not visible is the bow of ship on right - proper response would be to have stbd thrust, but something caused him to go to port thrust. Nightmare scenario

The Carnival Glory hit the docked Carnival Legend in Cozumel, Mexico. One passenger was injured.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/12/20/carnival-cruise-collision-orig.cnn-business

An Allision, not a Collision.

Came very close to involving a third cruise ship.

I know this will likely be an unpopular opinion, but prsonally, I'd like to see the cruise ship industry closed down. The world would be a much better place without them.

I know this will likely be an unpopular opinion, but prsonally, I'd like to see the cruise ship industry closed down. The world would be a much better place without them.

Yes, deny me and octogenarians the joy of ocean cruising?? Are you serious?

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Yes, deny me and octogenarians the joy of ocean cruising?? Are you serious?

Wifey B: Yes, you are his target. :rofl:

Now, I wouldn't ban them, I'd just require them all to pay taxes and abide by all laws including employment laws. :D

Wifey B: Yes, you are his target. :rofl:

Now, I wouldn't ban them, I'd just require them all to pay taxes and abide by all laws including employment laws. :D

Almost all of the cruise-line employees I've encountered welcome their employment, saving money for marriage and homes, while usually supporting their relatives at home.

I think their ability to "invade" places is debatable....their ability to steam circles in the ocean doesn't bother me.

Some of their problems would go away if only one was allowed in port at a time and only several per year per that port

Seems like hunting to me, some hate it, some love it a.....and thus Wildlife Management areas are created.

Last edited:
The ports of call love cruise ships. The passengers and employees love cruise ships. The ship owners, builders, re-fit yards etc love cruise ships. The tax collectors love cruise ships. Shore facilities such as airports, hotels and busboys love cruise ships.

Those with no skin in the game and who don't in general like the business, well we can tut tut when the inevitable occurs.

Strangely, the Dream was supposed to dock in Cozumel today as well, but the captain chose to bypass the attempt after getting very close to the dock and seeing the windy conditions. Some say he was zipping right along, but had the sense to keep going. This was an hour before the Carnival incident.

You know he watched that video and thought, "Whew!" :D

Trying to fit two 1,000' long ships in 2006' of dock space on a high wind day in Cozumal

i don't think most ports of call love cruise ships.

I read an interesting statistic on cruise lines as they pertain to the Bahamas. Something like 70% of all visits to the Bahamas are done via cruise ships, but they account for less than 8% of tourist related dollars spent in the country.

I have 3 good retailers in Key West with whom I work very closely. They hate the cruise ships and feel that they are a detriment to their business.

I like Psneeld's idea of only one allowed inport at a time and a limited number each year. I'd be fine with them steaming in circles in the ocean and then coming back to port, that's more or less what they do anyway, they don't really experience any of the places they go. Senor Frogs and Chinese gift shops look the same all over the world.

I also work with a tour operator in San Juan, who has become a close friend, he leads trips to the rain forest and outlying islands of PR. He also owns an Outdoor Specialty shop in San Juan. He told me he sees less than 5 customers a year that come from the ships and feels that the ships have despoiled the island.

Ask the Bahamians who were displaced from their island so that it could be turned into "Castaway Cay" what they think of the cruise industry.

In their defense though, the cruise lines donated a lot of money to hurricane relief, though nowhere near enough to offset the damage they have done.

Last edited:
In the winter months there can be a very strong current flowing perpendicular to the docks in Cozumel, this in conjunction with a
north wind creates a situation where the ships combined thruster
power cannot overcome the current & wind - as clearly demonstrated
in the video.

In Mexico the pilots do not do the docking or undocking, it is
done by the ships Master.

I'm with Dc. Anyone here been to Venice?

Count me in too. Ask anyone in who actually lives in Ketchikan what value they receive from the dozen jewelry stores which appear in late April and disappear in September, employing no locals.

The reason Sitka retains much of its charm is their refusal to build a deepwater cruise ship dock. They get one or two ships in the roadstead , and lightering thins the pax hordes substantially.

Back
Top Bottom