Twin Disk oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
I did read up on some past posting on this. But no brand names were mentioned.

I called Twin Disk to be sure on the type of oil. They did say I could use a multi wight oil. Also that I could use synthetic oil, BUT I would have to change it ever 500hrs rather than every 1000hrs using conventional oil.

Their big point was to use an oil that has NO anti-fraction additives!

Looking on line, they really don't state about additives.

What brands are other boaters using?

Thanks!

I have CAT Twin Disc on my CAT 3208T/A. For my twin Disc they recommend TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE TRAIN OIL SAE 30. P/N 248-7521

This is NOT motor oil! it is transmission oil.

Opps Pics

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 47
It's frustrating when company representatives tell you stuff that directly contradicts what the manufacturer's published material says. But in that situation, I always go based on what the published material says. That gets reviewed before publishing, and will expose the manufacturer to a lot of trouble if it's wrong. So I think it's the most vetted info you can get.

Here's a picture of the Lubrication plate on my TD gear. Yours should have one too.

And here's what the latest Twin Disc manual says covering all TD MG gears.

D. Oils for Use in Twin Disc Hydraulically Actuated Marine Transmissions

1.) Continuous, Medium, Intermediate and Light Duty Applications:

a) Description:

• (1) Typical approved oils are SAE 30W, 40W and 50W.
  • (2) Refer to the lubrication plate mounted on the marine transmission for the approved oil types.
  • (3) Multi-viscosity oils, synthetic oils or blends of mineral and synthetic oils are not approved for use in the specified applications.
Requirements: Oils types listed in D.1.a. must meet the following specifications.

• (1) API CF or ACEA E2.
  • (2) Caterpillar TO-2 specifications, Allison C-4 (1) specifications or has been approved by Twin Disc. Consult Twin Disc for oils that have been approved that do not meet Caterpillar TO-2 or Allison C-4 specifications.

Attachments

• PCH_2018-12-10_22-59_0161.jpg
    PCH_2018-12-10_22-59_0161.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 45
It's frustrating when company representatives tell you stuff that directly contradicts what the manufacturer's published material says. But in that situation, I always go based on what the published material says. That gets reviewed before publishing, and will expose the manufacturer to a lot of trouble if it's wrong. So I think it's the most vetted info you can get.

Here's a picture of the Lubrication plate on my TD gear. Yours should have one too.

And here's what the latest Twin Disc manual says covering all TD MG gears.

D. Oils for Use in Twin Disc Hydraulically Actuated Marine Transmissions

1.) Continuous, Medium, Intermediate and Light Duty Applications:

a) Description:

• (1) Typical approved oils are SAE 30W, 40W and 50W.
  • (2) Refer to the lubrication plate mounted on the marine transmission for the approved oil types.
  • (3) Multi-viscosity oils, synthetic oils or blends of mineral and synthetic oils are not approved for use in the specified applications.
Requirements: Oils types listed in D.1.a. must meet the following specifications.

• (1) API CF or ACEA E2.
  • (2) Caterpillar TO-2 specifications, Allison C-4 (1) specifications or has been approved by Twin Disc. Consult Twin Disc for oils that have been approved that do not meet Caterpillar TO-2 or Allison C-4 specifications.

I agree and the plate and owner's manual stipulate the oil I listed above for MY transmissions.

Bottom line: What does the manufacture plate and owner's manual state? Use that information.:thumb: Sorry for the confusion.

My friend used Rotella straight 30W for years until he ran into his retired Cat mechanic in a boat store where he recommended straight weight Non-Detergent oil. The Cat DTDO looks like an excellent choice.

I'll post the brand when I get it.

You aren't supposed to use a multi-vis oil in hypoid gears because it shears quickly to the low number: your 15W-40 becomes 15W pretty quickly. The long chain thickeners are broken down by the shearing action of the gears. This has been tested by the motorcycle guys, in bikes the engine and transmission eat the same meal.

I have a TD MG506. THe thing has nearly 7,000 hrs.
TD when I was looking was quite clear about the types of oils to use.
HD 20 or 30 or 40 wgt. I have used 30 ever since.
I have looked up T.D. recommendations a couple times since and it is the same.

THey designed these gears to be able to operate on standard engine oils.

Last edited:
As said above always safe to use the manufacturer's specified oils. That said I've put thousands of hours on work boats running twin disc gears. We used Delo 100 40 WT. Never an internal problem from the lubes used. Failures were external. Hoses, couplings, vibration dampeners, control actuators, coolers.

Do you other Twin Disc owners have a noticeable delay in engaging after shifting? If so how much and have different oils impacted the delay time.

Have older Twin Disc MG507-1’s, 1.1 ratio on Deere 6068’s. Using Delo or Rotella straight 40W. Gearboxes appear to be over-designed for our setup as rarely see over 1800 rpm. No issues noted.

I do not have a shift delay, but when I talked to Twin Disc about gearbox temperature and oils, they said that was one of the concerns. The book says never run under 150 deg oil temp, yet mine will run at about 105 all day, so I was concerned about oil viscosity. They said no worry about lubrication (but don't use a multi-vis), the main problem with running too cool is shift delay, and you might want a lighter oil in those conditions. I am running 30W Delo 400.

I use CAT TDTO 30. It's reasonably priced and easy to get since I buy stuff from my local CAT dealer all them time anyway. I suspect it's just 30W motor oil, sure smells and looks like it...

I don't think Twin Disc transmissions are terribly picky about oil, they seem to be similar to motorcycle wet clutches which aren't too picky either as long as there are no friction modifiers present. FWIW, I ran Rotella T6 in my old 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R and it's still going strong at 125,000+ miles, which is a lot for an engine that spins effortlessly to 12,000 RPM.

I use single weight SAE 30W ISO 100 in my 506's. I change oil and filters approx every 100hrs. The biggest thing to note is they require non-detergent oil. The detergent additives will foam up in use, making lubrication and performance less effective. As far as branding, usually NAPA, since there is a store near my marina. It is getting more difficult to find some of the big name oil producers making a non-detergent anymore. Twin Disc makes a pretty bullet proof tranny made to stand up to commercial use. Like your engines, keep the life blood clean and they will last for many years.

I use CAT TDTO 30. It's reasonably priced and easy to get since I buy stuff from my local CAT dealer all them time anyway. I suspect it's just 30W motor oil, sure smells and looks like it...

I don't think Twin Disc transmissions are terribly picky about oil, they seem to be similar to motorcycle wet clutches which aren't too picky either as long as there are no friction modifiers present. FWIW, I ran Rotella T6 in my old 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R and it's still going strong at 125,000+ miles, which is a lot for an engine that spins effortlessly to 12,000 RPM.

The manufacture recommendation in the 1980s was TO-2, the newer equivalent oil is the CAT TDTO 30.

I did read up on some past posting on this. But no brand names were mentioned.

I called Twin Disk to be sure on the type of oil. They did say I could use a multi wight oil. Also that I could use synthetic oil, BUT I would have to change it ever 500hrs rather than every 1000hrs using conventional oil.

Their big point was to use an oil that has NO anti-fraction additives!

Looking on line, they really don't state about additives.

What brands are other boaters using?

Thanks!

You can use motorcycle oils or diesel engine oils. Automotive oils for gasoline engines have friction modifiers. It is listed on the label of the oil container. This is a problem with wet clutches such as motorcycles and marine transmissions. Look at the API label. if it says anything about reduced emissions, energy conserving, economy improvements, it has friction modifiers in it.

Basics_Figure1.jpg

The CAT TDTO 30 is a "gearbox" oil, not an engine oil.

Back
Top Bottom