Turning Off Your Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Post #91

My Mercedes 300SD had an emergency off lever on the engine in case the key on the column didn't stop the engine.

:flowers:

Just heard back from my guy on the question (it was his employee who depressed the button at the same time as turning the key.)

He wrote:

"The way I recommend shutting those engines down is to hit the shut down button and then turn the key off. The shutdown is on a timer so when you hit the button it starts the process."

Now that has only raised the question that I will ask him - what process! :)

Last edited:
OK. This is getting foolish. Almost 100 posts. How about we throw in anchors as well and make it even more ludicrous? I start my engine before I haul my politically incorrect anchor and shut it down and then throw the anchor over the side...

giphy.gif

Just heard back from my guy on the question (it was his employee who depressed the button at the same time as turning the key.)

He wrote:

"The way I recommend shutting those engines down is to hit the shut down button and then turn the key off. The shutdown is on a timer so when you hit the button it starts the process."

Now that has only raised the question that I will ask his - what process! :)
While I don't doubt the mechanics necessarily, I would go with the engine manufacturers literature or place a call to them.

This could be one time the mechanics "think" they know something but really don't.

I can say the opposite at times too...manufacturers recommend things for the masses versus what is best.

I would try and verify what the heck is going on.

OK. This is getting foolish. Almost 100 posts. How about we throw in anchors as well and make it even more ludicrous? I start my engine before I haul my politically incorrect anchor and shut it down and then throw the anchor over the side...

giphy.gif

When anchoring, I don't shut down the engine until the anchor is secured at the water's bottom.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Can I suggest a slight process correction - that you throw your anchor over before you shut down?

[Just saw Mark's post - great minds...]

I wish I was strong enough to throw my anchor.

I wish I was strong enough to throw my anchor.

I pulled mine across onto the dock for measuring and painting recently. Just freakin' amazing what a 75# CQR and 20 foot of chain weigh! I thought it was going to pull me in!

Can someone make RT a moderator already, he is getting really frustrated! :)

I have a Carver. I just turn the MFing key off!!!....:rofl: :whistling: :hide:

A sidenote...the 4LHA Yanmar in my signature....in the owner's manual it said to run the engine up to max fuel cutoff power before shutting down. I have no clue as to the reason why the manufacturer would want you to do that. It has always had me scratching my head.

I have a Carver. I just turn the MFing key off!!!....:rofl: :whistling: :hide:

A sidenote...the 4LHA Yanmar in my signature....in the owner's manual it said to run the engine up to max fuel cutoff power before shutting down. I have no clue as to the reason why the manufacturer would want you to do that. It has always had me scratching my head.

What exactly do they mean by "max fuel cutoff power?"

What exactly do they mean by "max fuel cutoff power?"

I guess I put that verbiage in there. Basically the manual said to run it up to "full throttle" before shut down. No clue why but I ma sure they had their reasons.

Adding anything for having to pull sideways from the bow to dock?

I suppose you could add a few farts to the total, but they don't weigh much. I'm assuming of course that you did not bust a foo-foo valve in the process, but from what you are saying that might have been a near run thing.

Increasing replacement parts sales

If I had to guess.....maybe it was to evacuate all of the water out of the exhaust system so it would not flow back into the turbo....just a guess...

I guess I put that verbiage in there. Basically the manual said to run it up to "full throttle" before shut down. No clue why but I ma sure they had their reasons.

I vaguely remember many comments in the past about running hard for a while to get rid of the carbon build up - but that was after a long run at cruise and then 10 minutes or so at a higher RPM.

I am not even sure if modern engines need to do that any more.

I vaguely remember many comments in the past about running hard for a while to get rid of the carbon build up - but that was after a long run at cruise and then 10 minutes or so at a higher RPM.

I am not even sure if modern engines need to do that any more.

Yeah but no load at the dock really would not serve that purpose....

While I might agree that such a simple idea as turning off ones engine might not warrant this many replies, I fail to see the harm it has caused and why anyone here would feel it rises to the level of ridicule. Is there a post limit for a thread? Is anyone tossing insults about? Is there a problem here somewhere I don't see? Let it rain..

I pulled mine across onto the dock for measuring and painting recently.
What color did you paint it?:)
Great thread, but the train wreck in post 83 keeps coming to mind.:ermm:
Maybe things moved on since we risked frying the alternator diodes, but I still pull the kill cable before turning off the breakers.

Let's give this thread boost, what about starting your engine now? :D

There are a lot of strange things in Yanmar manuals. My theory is they were written in Japanese by the engineers and then translated into English by someone that did not know engines. Some of the nuances get lost there.

Maybe they intended to say go full speed before shutdown, maybe just give it a rev. No other engine manuals that I know of suggest going to full. Some suggest giving a rev to splash oil all over the place right before shutdown, that is something many (including me) do. Going to 1500 for a few sec will do that as well as going to high idle. High idle won't hurt anything, but why make all that noise?

I haven't noticed people revving their engines before shutdown when I've been at marinas. This would probably attract a lot of attention if someone did that. I have noticed that many people let their engines idle for a few minutes after docking and before shutting them down. I don't see any purpose in doing that because you've already been at or close to idle speed while getting ready to dock and entering the marina.

Back
Top Bottom