Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
So...Where do you dock?...>>

I saw a reference lately to one of our members in a 2000 boat marina. Yikes!

We're in a beautiful small town (population 10K) with a small waterfont population at the head of the Pamlico in NC. Lots of restaurants and town activities to keep it vibrant. We love it and it's only 25 miles from home..

Music in the streets every 3rd Friday as well as regular thursday nite and Sat. morning Music venues. Wine tasting at a small shop every Friday. This is 1/2 block from where we dock:

Occasional festivals. This just a few weeks ago shot from our boat:

and on calmer days. 1.5 mile boardwalk that extends down through the wetlands, an Estuarium and great facilities, Caring and attentive dock crew etc...

We're spoiled and lucky all for $200/Month...How bout you?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
We're in a Marina in Clear Lake Shores, Tx. Population 1,000 (and more boat slips than people). Only 25 miles from Houston, but you'd never know it. We're within 2 miles of the Kemah Boardwalk with an Aquarium, Rides, over the water dining, and currently a fireworks display every Friday night which we can watch either from our slip or by motoring out into Galveston Bay. Yeah, we're a bit spoiled too!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
The 2000 boat marina reference was probably me. The actual number may be a bit lower than that, but whatever it is, it's close.

In a nutshell, it's fabulous. We have a full-service boatyard right in the harbor with 35 and 150 ton Travelifts. The lift piers are less than 100 yards from our slip. We have one of the best diesel shops in the Pacific Northwest, excellent marine electric and electronics companies, and two outstanding marine supply stores (we have a West Marine, too, but nobody in their right mind goes there).

We have a decent-sized commercial fishing fleet in the middle basin with purse seiners, gillnetters, a few trollers, and crab boats. So there is always some interesting activity there and one can buy fresh seafood off the boats if they want.

The harbor is also home to a huge cold storage company with freighters in coming from Russia and other countries on the other side of the Pacific to pick up cargoes. Their pier is right outside the harbor entrance, so we get to watch the tugs and ships maneuver around.

Next to the cold storage company is a fish processor. During the season the seiners and gillnetters come in to unload their catches. This activity is a couple hundred yards from our slip and is always interesting to watch.

But the absolute best thing is the location. The shot below is the view from our flying bridge in our slip. The islands are the San Juans, the mountains in the distance are the Olympics. People who keep their boats down south in Tacoma, Seattle, and Everett get to the San Juans perhaps once or twice a year on vacation unless they have fast boats or are retired and have lots of time. For us, even at a glacial 8 knots, we can spend a weekend anywhere we want in the islands.

If we have to be in the US, there is no place else we'd rather keep our boat (British Columbia is better but we don't live there).
Attached Thumbnails
Bay 1.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Ditto Marin's comments.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If we have to be in the US, there is no place else we'd rather keep our boat .

City mouse, Country mouse. Sounds exciting in a different sort of way...
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Take a tour for yourself.

Fort Pierce City Marina – City Marina Virtual Tour

It's not quite up to date. Floating docks have been added in front of the office.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Your marinas sound so nice it's a wonder you ever leave berth.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Guru

Mark, our stay at FPCM is coming to an end. It is a great jumping off point for the Keys and the Bahamas, but we've done enough of that for awhile. We will be moving North to Jacksonville and St. Augustine to stay a few months. We plan to explore the St. Johns River, spend some time with my grandson at St. Augustine, and do a little fishing with him. Also, Fernandina Beach and Cumberland Island are within striking distance. So, we will be there a few months before making our way North to Chesapeake Bay for a season or two. Moonstruck has no real permanent home, but several homes in various locations. We like it.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Gee, we don't dock. We have to sit out alone and lonely on a mooring in a small harbor.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
We have a small private marina in our back yard. Here is a shot from this past winter. We all belong to a very exclusive yacht club
called "Rags Yacht Club". The building in the photo is the club house. There are a total of six members. Rags stands for "ragged ass group of sailors." Our rules are simple, Number one,..there are no rules, number two,..there are no dues, number three ..there no officers, and most important, number four,..enjoy the water and companionship. Everyone pays a small contribution each month for the upkeep on the docks an parking lot.
I own the place and all members are my old sailing buddy's. Two of us have crossed the line to power from sail, but all still get along great. It has been a wonderful experience having this place. I do have a slip usually open for transient friends. So,
you all are welcome to come up the New River and see us here in North Carolina. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435698666.968935.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	41562Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435698769.507390.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	41563Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435698844.181320.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	41564
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
City mouse, Country mouse. Sounds exciting in a different sort of way...
Perhaps it's more a case of city mouse, country scruffy, unkempt, rude and crude rat.

Fortunately most of us like different things, otherwise we'd all be in the same place doing the same thing and it would be crowded.

I don't like cities. Well, I don't like US cities. I like London and some cities in France and Vancouver, BC. I've been in a fair number of US cities and I can't find a redeeming quality in any of them other than the fact they aren't where I am. I would be a happy man if we blew Seattle off the face of the earth and replaced it with something useful, like a wetlands or a coal mine. Seattle is by far the worst city I have ever been in on the planet but I haven't been to Detroit (except the airport which absolutely sucks) or East St. Louis. Perhaps they're worse than Seattle.

I like living here because it's very easy and quick to get to Not Here which, if one goes northwest is the best part of the planet in my book. So it's worth it (so far) to put up with living in the best example in the universe of how not to make a city.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Is that why lots of crime drama movies are based in WA / Seattle?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Is that why lots of crime drama movies are based in WA / Seattle?
I don't know. Seattle doesn't suck in my opinion because of its crime rate, which I think is actually fairly low as US cities go. I think it sucks because it's just an incredibly stupid, inept city.

It has a nice view, across the Sound to the Olympics on the days when the air pollution doesn't block it off and the ferry boats are cool, although the (state) ferry system itself is the poster child for taking something that could be well run and profitable and making it as far from that as possible.

So, nice setting but the setting doesn't make a city. Drive around in Seattle for an hour or so and at the end of it you'll wonder why everyone in the city isn't locked up in an asylum somewhere with the key tossed into the Sound.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Paris Landing State Park Marina . TN River/KY Lake mm 66.1
Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Gee, we don't dock. We have to sit out alone and lonely on a mooring in a small harbor.
Too bad about you David. I am crying sympathy tears here.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
I own the place and all members are my old sailing buddy's. Two of us have crossed the line to power from sail, but all still get along great. It has been a wonderful experience having this place. I do have a slip usually open for transient friends. So,
you all are welcome to come up the New River and see us here in North Carolina.
You are a lucky Gentleman! Terrific situation..
Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Fortunately most of us like different things, otherwise we'd all be in the same place doing the same thing and it would be crowded.
2000 boats Vs the 18 or so where I am... I'll stick with Country Mouse...
Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I keep my boats at Dysarts Marina in Southwest Harbor, ME. Boating here is quite difficult. When you head out you have to decide which of the over 100 great destination harbors you want to visit on day 1. It gets harder after that. There are dozens of islands withing a day's run.

From the perspective of service, there are only two world class boat builders that run full service yards locally, but there are at least half a dozen smaller operations that can handle any problem you might have. Several of them also build high quality boats. If you are willing to travel 50 miles there are at least a dozen top quality yards.

Overall the Maine coast is an OK boating location except for the winters.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
We dock our boat in a condo slip in The Village of Toms River NJ. Toms River is a quaint town with shops and eating places. It is also the county seat of Ocean County NJ with the courthouse and other government offices. Our Marina is called Spinnakers Cove and we have about 60 privately owned slips. We are across the street from the Toms River Seaport Society who has an annual wooden boat show at Huddy Park a 3 minute walk from our dock. Also Food,Art , and Ice Cream festivals are ran all Summer. Every Weds is a big open air Farmers Market. We are a 10 minute drive from Island Beach State Park and some of the best beaches in the East.
The slip owners are a great crowd and look out for one another. Our slips are well protected, I rode out Sandy right in my slip with no damage, while many marinas in the area were wrecked.
The Toms River fireworks are right outside our dock and we have a front row view of a fantastic show set to music.
New Jersey may not be glamorous but it is a good Home port and the head of the ICW heading south-- or New York harbor and points north and west.

It works for Us.

John and Miri "Adagio" 32 Island Gypsy
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Haven't docked in over a year. Scott's Cove Marina, Chance MD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0837.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	41568

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote