Old 09-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Thanks, Al. I'll take a look. But, I don't want to side track the OP's topic any more than we have. We can follow up privately if you wish. Thanks.

TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #22

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Loons Nest
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
The more I research the issue the more I am leaning to the AT 34. I have also concluded that trailering is not worth the added complications based on what we want to accomplish, which is first and foremost escaping the Canadian winters. Hanging out in FL and the Bahamas each winter, and then hauling the boat for the summer, leaving it there, and coming home for the summer seems like the best plan at this point. OTOH if we really fall in love with the liveaboard lifestyle, we can do the Loop if we want. Having options is the key, and I am thinking the AT 34 would do nicely. The admiral and I are also big fans of the PDQ 34, but I am starting to think maintaining a single engine makes better sense.

David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I like the AT 34, but would agree with BandB that there are likely other boats that would be worth considering for those waters as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #24

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Loons Nest
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
Dave, I agree with B&B as well. But I have been working on this issue for a year and a half now, and along the way bought Waterthrush. I consider her a great boat, but also a "learner" boat. So what have we learned? ... don't want / need a flying bridge. Don't want the double maintenance of twin engines (although I love my Lehmans). Not too nuts about galley down. Want protected running gear. And here is the biggest issue - we want outside socializing space ie. an aft cockpit big enough for at least a couple of comfy chairs. And yes, I know all boats are compromises. In a perfect world, we would buy a Great Harbour N-37 or a DeFever 44, but they are about $150k more than we want to spend.
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
Dave, I agree with B&B as well. But I have been working on this issue for a year and a half now, and along the way bought Waterthrush. I consider her a great boat, but also a "learner" boat. So what have we learned? ... don't want / need a flying bridge. Don't want the double maintenance of twin engines (although I love my Lehmans). Not too nuts about galley down. Want protected running gear. And here is the biggest issue - we want outside socializing space ie. an aft cockpit big enough for at least a couple of comfy chairs. And yes, I know all boats are compromises. In a perfect world, we would buy a Great Harbour N-37 or a DeFever 44, but they are about $150k more than we want to spend.
Just don't limit yourself by brand, do so by features and measurements and designs.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote