Old 09-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Grand Manan,N.B.
Vessel Name: Puffin II
Vessel Model: Mascot 28 PH Motorsailer
Try this with a deep v

I thought this was an interesting video.
I have no connection to this mfgr.
Len

Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Didn't see anything a very stable deep vee couldn't handle in the right hands.

Lots of the right sizes boats in all hull designs could scare you in some of those waves.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have been in worse water in the chesapeake bay. We crossed back from eastern shore with these steep 6 foot rollers and more.The period was half the boat length so about 15 to 20 foot between crests. Bad enough I sat down and let my son in law pilot us back. After we got half way across they subsided. We were pummeled for a good 40 minutes. Boat was like going into free fall every few seconds. You could not go into the lower front cabin.
He said it was a good test of the hull. We did not sink or break. Everything went flying inside and the oven door slammed open and bent down. (weak springs) I tied it shut. When I first saw them I was shocked and amazed at the waves.
If he had not wanted to get back to port, I would have waited maybe all day at the breakwater to see if they would settle down.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Aside from the "challenge" (Try this...) in the title, it's interesting to see how that boat "rides". As noted, this particular vessel is being marketed as a dive/CG training vessel BUT how will a substantial load effect ride and handling? It appears to be completely empty in the video.

Eg:

I've watched lobster style boats on occasion and have always admired their ability to handle what I consider "heavy weather". Better them out there than me but given the experience of the captains. It's probably old hat to them.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is Trawler Forum.
Don’t recall any “deep vee” trawlers.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "General Discussion" sub-forums.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'm envious of the speed on the following sea. Our boat could handle the headsea without breaking a sweat. I would have a hard time running downhill in those combers at 8 kts.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Guru

The old Bertrams were famous for their sea-keepin' abilities, and they all had deep vee hulls. Is a hull considered a deep vee if the deadrise is 16 degrees or more?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Aside from the "challenge" (Try this...) in the title, it's interesting to see how that boat "rides". As noted, this particular vessel is being marketed as a dive/CG training vessel BUT how will a substantial load effect ride and handling? It appears to be completely empty in the video.

Eg:

I've watched lobster style boats on occasion and have always admired their ability to handle what I consider "heavy weather". Better them out there than me but given the experience of the captains. It's probably old hat to them.

No offence meant by the title-just a comparison of hull styles.
Your photo above is of similar hulls-loaded with traps-from eastern N.B. & PEI. This style hull is now being mfgrd in Eastport.Me. also.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Greetings,

Eg:

The Novi and Down East hulls are made to safely work the North Atlantic and carry lots of weight. Dixon, BHM, Duffy, are just a few that come to mind. Mostly semi displacement hulls, round chine, with a full keel. Well built and rock solid boats designed by Spencer Lincoln, Royal Lowell, Arno Day, among others. Every boat is a trade off. With these boats seaworthiness, safety, and reliability come 1st.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
What makes you think a deep v boat couldn’t handle an inlet like that?
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What makes you think a deep v boat couldn’t handle an inlet like that?
It probably could. But on a regular basis you would much rather be on the Down Easter or Novi. Much easier motion.
In New England we are surrounded by boats with deep V hulls. C Raymond Hunt (who designed the Bertram and Whaler Hull among many others) has many fine examples of Deep Vee boats. However they were designed for purposes other than carrying heavy loads through rough seas at relatively slow speeds in most cases. Not better or worse designs. Just designed for a different purpose.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. d. No offense taken what-so-ever. Ya got me thinking though about another boat...
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. d. No offense taken what-so-ever. Ya got me thinking though about another boat...
Wifey B: You should go out right now and get one.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The first video mentions 50 knot winds. It looks to me like about 25 knots.
The boat handles it well, but it’s not super challenging conditions.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
This is Trawler Forum.
Don’t recall any “deep vee” trawlers.
What hull form do you think so called swift trawlers have. Or many "semi displacement" boats?
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
If I recall some call that "Bertram Weather", likely because of some of their creative advertising campaigns like this 'Thank God it's a Bertram!' image.

In reality, deep-V Bertrams can be a good choice when the seas kick up a bit.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
It probably could. But on a regular basis you would much rather be on the Down Easter or Novi. Much easier motion.
In New England we are surrounded by boats with deep V hulls. C Raymond Hunt (who designed the Bertram and Whaler Hull among many others) has many fine examples of Deep Vee boats. However they were designed for purposes other than carrying heavy loads through rough seas at relatively slow speeds in most cases. Not better or worse designs. Just designed for a different purpose.

Thanks. That was the point of my original post-different hull designs for different conditions & purposes with trade offs in speed/comfort/etc.

It is notable that Novi/PEI/Downeast styles have made great leaps in speed while still maintaining their superior sea keeping abilities.

I believe speed with reasonable sea keeping ability was the original purpose of the deep v design.

Another consideration is the keel protected rudder & prop with the semi displacement hull. Less concern about prop fouling & minor groundings.

Len

They back up rather nicely also (7min)

Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
It looks like a panga that grew up. These boats have no numbers, names or markings on them ?? That seems odd.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
So, what made you say (or imply) that a deep vee couldn’t handle an inlet like that?
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote