Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

City: Manahawkin, NJ
Try before I buy?

Hello everyone.
My husband and I have had an unplanned early retirement. Now that we have all of this time on our hands ( and not years of planning what we would do when we retire) we sort of started running with the idea of buying a trawler and doing the great loop. We went to the great loop rendezvous last week to learn about the trip and get help finding the right boat for us. We learned so much and became even more excited about this plan. Until this morning when I woke up and the fog cleared from my head....we have very minimal boating experience. I am not so much concerned about learning how to boat. I am concerned whether or not I will be comfortable on one at trawler speeds for an extended journey. I have been known to get seasick.
Here is what I am asking all of you, are there places we can charter a trawler for a week or two? Do you know any other way we could "try this lifestyle out" before we sink a ton of bucks into it?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Gabi and John.
DocMolarboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Hi Gabi and John,

Yes, there are many outfits that charter trawlers (bareboat) and also will provide training. It's a great way to have fun while learning and I recommend it.

I chartered a wide variety of boats for years, trying out many different brands of boats. It gave me an appreciation for which designs I liked and which features/compromises really didn't work for me.

Good Luck
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Go to the BoatUS website and research taking local safe boating classes from the US Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Auxiliary. You can learn a lot plus you will have a certificate to help with obtaining insurance when you do find a boat to purchase.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
FF
Guru

The perfect try out is a weeks rental of a steel narrow boat to cruise the Erie Barge canal.

No navigation required , no worries about battery management and the rest , you tie up every night and plug in for Free!

The many resturants and small towns are super frendly , WI Fi is everywhere.

The BEST ! part is when the bride gets comfortable in a narrow boat you will not be hassled to buy a huge roomaran , that replaces her dirt house in volume.

Slow speed , lots to see and do , with minor work, breakfast , lunch and dinner can be in 3 different towns to make it a true vacation for the cook.

These folks do a good job, have fun!

Erie-Champlain Canal Boating Co.
1 Tugboat Alley
Waterford, NY 12188
(518) 577- 6363
FF is offline   Reply With Quote