True trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Some beautiful “true” trawlers from the amazing Nova Scotia. Snapshot from this morning at the nearby port

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

I was really impressed by the size of the boats vs the size of the truck!

IMG_1261.jpg

L

Cape Island style Novi boats
I love them, wondering what engine they have in their belly.
I am not far from where my boat engine was manufactured (Bridgewater, NS) and have hope to find someone who tells me he has one or knows it!

L

The old Cape Island boats had low hp in their bellies....thats before the extreme beam/length phenom happened to bypass length/fisheries regs. Those boats are as seaworthy as any boat made . They are made to fish year round off the coast of Atlantic Canada. I think Samson went out of biz years ago...maybe they started up again? Lots of good builders up there I had a purchase deposit on the Dana Hunter built boat that is now on Wicked Tuna. Its the Fishhawk owned By Brad on the show. My personal situation changed and I bailed, he bought it. Had a low hour Cummins 350 hp 6CT in it. Northern lts genset.... Not fancy but just what I wanted...

Jack wrote;
“As any boat can be” ....

So SOF what do you attribute their seaworthyness too .... wide beam?
With that in mind they seem to maybe have a low CG. But I would think that extremely wide and flat bottom would be really hard to control. And I see the boat extends further aft than the bottom. Surely that isn’t an element of seaworthyness?
But I see a lot less top hamper than most west coast boats.

Last edited:
....thats before the extreme beam/length phenom happened to bypass length/fisheries regs. Those boats are as seaworthy as any boat made . They are made to fish year round off the coast of Atlantic Canada.

I had visited a shipyard and they proposed a steel design to me, about 46ft X 18ft if I recall. Three stories high with a full pilothouse on top of the deckhouse, bulbous bow and nice heavy displacement of 43 tons.

They'd built many and reported excellent stability and seaworthiness. However the two things I didn't like (as a result of the extreme beam) were the short roll period (about 3 seconds, as opposed to ideal 5 seconds) and the shall angle of ultimate stability (AVS or capsize angle) of 72 degrees. To their credit however, they said they would design and build it any way I wanted, including fixing those two concerns. They would even weld in a full double bottom as at to render it "unsinkable."

A bit pricey, but man, what accommodation space in such a short boat!

Attachments

• Resim 003.jpg
    Resim 003.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Resim 057.jpg
    Resim 057.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo-6.jpg
    Photo-6.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Jack wrote;
“As any boat can be” ....

So SOF what do you attribute their seaworthyness too .... wide beam?
With that in mind they seem to maybe have a low CG. But I would think that extremely wide and flat bottom would be really hard to control. And I see the boat extends further aft than the bottom. Surely that isn’t an element of seaworthyness?
But I see a lot less top hamper than most west coast boats.
Honestly I am anything but a naval engineer but these boat are used by professionals and better mariner that I would ever be so I guess they know what they are doing. Knowing when they go out for fishing and to have seen a bunch of them roaming around lobster casing they look like pretty seaworthy and I tend to trust these guys who spend their life on the sea, often in weather that would scare most of us pleasure boaters.
Anyway, when I see the size of these boat, they would make a tremendous base to build up a pleasure craft, there is enough beam to have two full size aft cabins with queen beds.

L

Wonder how much fuel they burn?

Sure I’m not say’in they aren’t seaworthy.
But I see some features or elements of their design that aren’t ideal to that end. You could even get away w calling them a shallow draft vessel .. per the last pic on post #8. Shallow draft boats aren’t usually ultra seaworthy.

Wonder how much fuel they burn?

Sure I’m not say’in they aren’t seaworthy.
But I see some features or elements of their design that aren’t ideal to that end. You could even get away w calling them a shallow draft vessel .. per the last pic on post #8. Shallow draft boats aren’t usually ultra seaworthy.

Eric, I have no experience with the extreme beam versions of these boats due to Canada fish regs.
The older versions sat like a duck in seas and worked year round in some horrendous wx. Raised foredeck, modest power and rocker give these boats a great rep for bringing back crews and catch. indisputable.

In my opinion, these boats weren't meant to have twin screw. As a matter of fact, its the first one I have ever seen...

You could even get away w calling them a shallow draft vessel .. per the last pic on post #8. Shallow draft boats aren’t usually ultra seaworthy.

It does look shallow but the draft is 6’-2”. I wonder how well these extreme beam boats would track in heavy following seas. Perhaps the keel should be deepened another foot?

It does look shallow but the draft is 6’-2”. I wonder how well these extreme beam boats would track in heavy following seas. Perhaps the keel should be deepened another foot?

aahmm, these folks are out there day in, day out . Following seas,head seas, confused seas..they do it all, year round. For us to arm chair there boats...

I like arm-chairing professionals. You should see me when watching football games :)

Wondering if they were putting all of them in water as the season start is approaching or because of the weather forecast with the upcoming Dorian hurricane remains.

L

Ballast helps , I bet these boats ride best when mostly loaded with fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom