Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
True displacement models

With all the discussion of semi-displacement, full displacement, what do the TF'ers consider true displacement models/manufacturers? We keep looking at trawlers, single and twin screw, but most are probably semi-displacement hulls are are probably over powered for the way we like to cruise. We could care less about cruising at 12, 14, 16 or more kts. We are quite happy with 6-7kts. With a semi-displacement hull our fuel burn would be excessive at slower speeds. We keep looking but there seems to be very little available in what we are looking for.

Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I believe if you use the "search" option on the menu above, you'll find many thread addressing full-displacement vs. semi-displacement hulls.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Paging Mr. Manyboats...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paging-mr-herman-o.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	29336  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
It also does not follow that a semi-planing/displacement hull will be less economical at displacment speeds, as that is what most of our vessels are, and we all experience quite low fuel consumption at just under basic hull speed. I am amazed how little fuel we burned over the long easter weekend, and we covered a fair distance, but never at more than 7.5kn.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not interested in a discussion of full vs. semi-displacement. I was looking for any information, based on fact/experience, as to what model/manufacturer are true full displacement. Using the search engine is like searching for a single screw on Yachtworld. You get a list and when you see the actual pictures you quickly find that half of them are twin screw. I'm looking for a true full displacement trawler, 1980 or better, under $150K. Who did or currently makes one?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Guru

Most Nordhavens-Krogens-prety much all the motor sailors- many converted fish boats -many of the older european motor craft particularly Dutch(Lowlands brand) Most Seaton motor boats-most Beuhler designed boats. When you see them out of water it becomes obvious. Many have very bulky deep bottoms. A full displacement boat will carry more weight than Semi but at and under hull speed will be no more efficient and often less efficient do to all the weted surface and heavy weight. FD will ride differently not always better. A SD boat with low or modest power will only travel in full displacement mode and this will cloud the picture. How would we think of a heavy steel boat with a SD under-body shape with small power plant that only travels at 7K? Then there are the lobster boat hulls which in my opinion bridge the gap and travel very well at displacement speed but with power will go faster and have a very long proven track record in tough sea conditions. Are the BEE BEE ocean hoppers SD or FD they were meant to go a long way at 6k? My two cents I would suggest you forget the FD-SD thing and look for a boat that will do what you want performance wise and have the other attributes you wish.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
You get a list and when you see the actual pictures you quickly find that half of them are twin screw. I'm looking for a true full displacement trawler, 1980 or better, under $150K. Who did or currently makes one?
There are many twin screw FD yachts. But, a bit of sleuthing on TF will answer your question in numbing detail, maybe.

Or you could cut to the chase and buy a Willard which no one will ever label anything but FD.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Willard trawlers come to mind. Look for the thread titled "Need help finding full displacement boat" from 2012--lot's of great suggestions for trawlers in the 40'-45' range. I spent sometime looking for a full displacement pocket trawler (not very common) and fortunately stumbled upon the trawler I now own, which is almost a mini Willard clone under the waterline. I cruise at 6 knots or so and burn as little as 1/2 gallon an hour--I love the sea worthiness and economy!
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Pilgrim 40
Full Displacement (8.5 knots max, 7 knots cruise)
100 hp single screw
Three for sale on Yachtword < $150k, 1984 and newer

Not for everybody however.
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

We looked at a really nice Jefferson 42 (among others we looked at). Coming from living and cruising aboard a sailboat for years, it had all the amenities that we were looking for. What it did have that we couldn't find a use for was 700hp. I just can't imagine ideling all that hp for hours on end without doing damage to the engine or burning copious amounts of fuel.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
I'm not interested in a discussion of full vs. semi-displacement. I was looking for any information, based on fact/experience, as to what model/manufacturer are true full displacement. Using the search engine is like searching for a single screw on Yachtworld. You get a list and when you see the actual pictures you quickly find that half of them are twin screw. I'm looking for a true full displacement trawler, 1980 or better, under $150K. Who did or currently makes one?
Well then, the thread "Need a list of under 40 displacement boats" has a discussion on what boats can be interpreted as full-displacement hulls. If you're looking for over 40, it'll take another discussion.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
. If you're looking for over 40, it'll take another discussion.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
We looked at a really nice Jefferson 42 (among others we looked at). Coming from living and cruising aboard a sailboat for years, it had all the amenities that we were looking for. What it did have that we couldn't find a use for was 700hp. I just can't imagine ideling all that hp for hours on end without doing damage to the engine or burning copious amounts of fuel.
Ah, yes, that's a whole different aspect. Over-powering is more to be avoided (unless you want fast get-home-out-of-storm-quick type performance potential - not often needed), than the old SD v's FD debate. Sure, the issue of over-powering is more common in SD vessels, but there are plenty of SD hulls out there that are not over-powered - or not by enough to really matter, so I suggest not dismissing an SD vessel out of hand, just because it is not FD, although, having also been an ex-yachtie myself, I can hear what you are saying.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Here is a list of full displacement boats under 40 feet:

Sundowner 30
Fales 32
Pilgrim 40
Lord Nelson 37
Krogen 36
Krogen 39
Nordhavn 40
Willard 40, 36 and 30
Coot
Seahorse Duck 382
Great Harbour GH-37 and N-37
The odd custom Steel Hull Trawler
Prairie 29, not sure about the 36
Schucker 40
Several Defever models over 40 feet are also full displacement.Also I believe the Diesel Ducks are full displacement.

I noted the post that suggested you consider semi-displacement boats. Like everything else in boating, this is in part of question of what you are planning to do with the boat. If you are planning to go off shore - southern Bahamas, Virgins etc. there is a strong argument that full displacement is appropriate. On the Great Lakes or the ICW, semi-displacement would be fine.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #15

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I guess my 24' trawler is too small to make the list! The little guy gets no respect around here!
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Finding a full displacement hull will assure low fuel consumption (with a right sized engine) and a smoother ride in the rough stuff,

But it will not in any way assure an ocean going/crossing vessel, should that be your interest.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Hatteras 42 LRC can be added to the list.

FD boats can be twin screw (see the Hatteras LRC and the Krogen 58 among others)

Suggest a read of Gerr's "The Nature of Boats" to understand the full/planing conundrum. Beebe/Nordhavn's "Voyaging Under Power" discusses why FD is greatly superior, if not virtually required for ocean crossing. Although a guy did take a Fleming across the Atlantic.

I can understand why if you never ever never want to go above displacement speeds, a well designed FD would be desirable, especially for very long voyages. But for coastal cruising, it is just not going to make that huge a difference. My SD Hatt 56, 1300 HP, at 8 knots does not burn significantly more fuel, cost wise, than a FD 58LRC. I did the math, and the premium for the LRC in initial cost was still not recaptured in fuel savings after 10,000 miles. And, "Survey Says!" it didn't hurt those engines one bit.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #18

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
True displacement models

All Great Harbour Trawlers are true Full Displacement hulls. All are twin engine with keel protected props and a shallow draft making them great for the Great Loop, inland rivers, ICW shallow areas and ocean capable! Built with quality materials and solid construction.

http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Sorry to confuse but there is something called semi that is actually full-displacement. Our DeFever is called semi-displacement but it really isn't, If you look at how deep she is in the belly with the hull angle moving aft, the curve of the deadrise and the fuel burn of 1.9gph at 6.8knots for a 60K boat with no wake seems to bear that out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1503.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	29341  
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
A very small % of power/motor boats are full displacment: Norhaven, Selen, Krogen, North Marine, Diesel Duck, Molonki Strait. Cape Horn, LR Hatteras, older Willards, Vick Franc/gardner and roughwaters, and a few off brands. Ocean Alexander and Defever has made some semi displacment with small engine so they can only go hull speed. Grand Alaska, Outer Reef and Flemming are sort of. Most of the true full displament are high priced/quality boats as they are mainly blue water boats.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote