Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #121
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I took a flight out to Salt Lake City to do some skiing about 6 weeks ago. I pinched a nerve in my neck trying to snooze in that ridiculously cramped seat, didn't do any skiing, caught a heck of a cold on the flight back and haven't been back on my boat since. Coughing and hacking, I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Between Dr.s appointments, icing, heat and acupuncture, maybe I'll finally get back to the boat this week, and actually finish the thread on swapping the Genset, but probably not.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #122
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
No argument from me

Originally Posted by FF View Post
>The flat aft sections have a benefit at anchor as the boat has zero roll, rock solid<

All boats that are basically flat on the bottom will stay parallel to the water surface .

Dock side this is great as there is little movement when folks climb aboard.

The problems only come when the water surface is NOT flat.

Then the bottom will also stay parallel to the water surface and a 6-8 ft or larger waves abeam can create a very rough ride.

Not a hassle for most inshore operation, where even with high winds there is little fetch to create larger waves.

While the round bottom of a full disp boat will allow some motion at all times the difference is the entire hull is lifted by a wave , rather than the chine corner beginning to rapidly roll the boat.

There is also a huge difference in the way the roll stops as the wave passes under.

The slow soft check of the disp boat is far kinder than the hard check, almost snap of a boat with corners well immersed.

Watch a log go by in rougher water , it mostly just goes up & down , watch a floating box go by , it follows the rough water surface .

Boats are designed to operate in specific conditions , operating one in a condition it was not designed for can be uncomfortable.
With light boats this is absolutely true. At 66,000 lb the Hatteras doesn't exactly bob like a cork. The flat aft sections combined with the very round mid section actually track very well. This boat has stabilizers which I believe play a major roll in maintaining course in following seas, since I haven't experienced this boat without them I can't say how much of an improvement they make. But it makes sense that they do because they control the heeling as the the stern rises and what ever broaching effect there is created by the heeling of the boat. I have been in some pretty large seas with this boat and it tracts like it was on rails. My last boat was a 4788 Bayliner. The Bayliner is very light and has a very flat bottom. Following seas of moderate size was not a happy place at displacement speeds. Fortunately it had great performance and could easily stay at wave speed and ride the back side of moderate seas. It also had the ability to plane and cruise at 18knts, actually go somewhere on a weekend. At anchor the 4788 was rock solid. No boat is perfect for every condition and use.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #123
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
Scary points out one of the critical issues in picking a hull type engine and all related gear. Its best to match what you get to how and where you are going to use it. The hard part is doing an honest job in that department. I have heard marine architects and builders complain about this dichotomy of what the client wants and what they most likely need.Too often people get hooked up to a boat and gear that is meant for something other than how it is used. An example, what's the point of having a great slow sea boat if most of your time is spent in sheltered waters and at anchor and the sea boat includes a lot of compromises that don't go well with that use pattern.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #124
City: Seattle
Damn, what are the injury stats for trawlering? From this thread, it is way more dangerous than I was led to believe! Hope all recover quickly.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #125
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Some good points raised.
There is a wide variety of uses of boats, sea/lake/river conditions, and personal preferences. For all these reasons there is not one type of hull shape that is best for all. My perfect hull may be a disaster for someone else, and vice versa.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #126
City: Fort Lauderdale
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Damn, what are the injury stats for trawlering? From this thread, it is way more dangerous than I was led to believe! Hope all recover quickly.
Yes but don't forget we have a sitting on airplane injury too. I had to do that all day Saturday, East Coast to West Coast. It's far worse than a boat in choppy water.

Everyone's tolerance is different. There are multiple levels. We go from those who only want lake smooth to mildly bumpy to uncomfortable to unsafe. Most of the boats are capable of handling far more than we actually want to be on them handling. And each boat made to perform better in different conditions.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #127
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
My injury was non-boating related. As much as we are stumblebums, our boating injuries have been first-aid kit minor; though a cruiser friend who is a nurse did splint my little finger on one occasion. Remember, the definition of cruising is fixing your boat (and body) in exotic locations.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote