Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 141
Question Trucking - Associated Boat Transport

I'm looking into truck transporters as a way of getting our boat from the east coast to the PNW. Has anyone had any experience with Associated Boat Transport? They came recommended to me and have been knowledgeable and responsive, but it's always helpful to hear more than one person's thoughts (especially given the nightmares that can sometimes happen with trucking a boat across the country).

Any experiences with them would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I'm looking into truck transporters as a way of getting our boat from the east coast to the PNW. Has anyone had any experience with Associated Boat Transport? They came recommended to me and have been knowledgeable and responsive, but it's always helpful to hear more than one person's thoughts (especially given the nightmares that can sometimes happen with trucking a boat across the country).

Any experiences with them would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!
I'm sorry, I have no experience with Associated. But if you should decided to look elsewhere, I can recommend M&B Yacht Transport out of Menominee, Michigan. Mom & pop operation with a great reputation and nice equipment. www.mbyachttransport.com Nice people who also run a marina. They know boats. If your schedule lines up with another haul, they should be able to cut you a decent deal. They hauled many, many boats for the Carver and Cruisers factories over the years....as well as for individual owners.
__________________

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I'm looking into truck transporters as a way of getting our boat from the east coast to the PNW. Has anyone had any experience with Associated Boat Transport? They came recommended to me and have been knowledgeable and responsive, but it's always helpful to hear more than one person's thoughts (especially given the nightmares that can sometimes happen with trucking a boat across the country).

Any experiences with them would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!
We've recommended Associated for years, as they are a company that owns the tractor and trailer (so they tell me). This means that your boat will not be swapped off to a series of drivers as it crosses the country.

Dudley's is the other company that we recommend.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,698
I don't know anything about Associated, but let me make a suggestion to you based on something I did with my boat.

Find out the yard you're going to use to put it together, then have the technician who will actually tear it down fly back to supervise the teardown.

The tech who put my boat back together was the one who took the flybridge off. He marked every wire on both sides of the cut so when it went back together there was no guesswork on which wire went to which.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I don't know anything about Associated, but let me make a suggestion to you based on something I did with my boat.

Find out the yard you're going to use to put it together, then have the technician who will actually tear it down put it back together fly back to supervise the teardown.

The tech who put my boat back together was the one who took the flybridge off. He marked every wire on both sides of the cut so when it went back together there was no guesswork on which wire went to which.
Excellent suggestion. Eliminates blame game. Just like moving, never want different crews at the two ends.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member
 
MV Salish Lady's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I'm looking into truck transporters as a way of getting our boat from the east coast to the PNW. Has anyone had any experience with Associated Boat Transport? They came recommended to me and have been knowledgeable and responsive, but it's always helpful to hear more than one person's thoughts (especially given the nightmares that can sometimes happen with trucking a boat across the country).

Any experiences with them would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!
Nick

Is Endurance an American Tug? If so, I would contact Tomco (LaConner, WA) the manufacturer. They are a great group of guys. They may be willing to take it apart and put it back together for you. They may also have suggestions on the Trucking Company.

Good Luck

Shawn
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 141
Thank you very much everyone!

Shawn, yes, Endurance is an American Tug 395, and yes, I'm shipping it back to Tomco for them to put back together. You're right, they are an absolutely terrific group of people, Kurt Dilworth has been incredibly helpful, patient, and supportive (this is our second AT)(actually, third). Their customer service is the best I have ever seen. I am hoping to have the same person from Tomco who commissioned the boat when we bought it and it arrived on the east coast to be the one who dismantles it.

I'm hoping to find a way to have it trucked without needing to remove the flybridge, and avoid all the associated headaches. I've been told this is theoretically possible, but very costly, and probably not practical for a cross-country trip.

Dudley and Associated have both been recommended to me, but, given my past experiences with having a boat trucked (which were not always positive, though that was another outfit that caused me problems), I greatly appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and suggestions here.

Thanks again!
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I don't know anything about Associated, but let me make a suggestion to you based on something I did with my boat.

Find out the yard you're going to use to put it together, then have the technician who will actually tear it down fly back to supervise the teardown.

The tech who put my boat back together was the one who took the flybridge off. He marked every wire on both sides of the cut so when it went back together there was no guesswork on which wire went to which.

We had our 44 Ocean Alexander shipped from Lake Travis, Austin, Texas to Michigan some years ago. I did something similar, but completed most of the detailed disassembly myself while taking dozens of digital photos. Also marked wires and bagged/labeled all hardware. Then wrote a detailed narrative in exact order of reassembly so that the yard at the other end could do the job. I e-mailed the instructions and photos to them and they said it went off without a hitch.

By the way, I refused to remove the flybridge, so the height was about 15'6" (over the 13'10" limit). This meant the load had to travel via a slightly more circuitous route (with a lead pole truck). The extra cost was roughly offset by the cost of removing the bridge and loading it on another truck or rigging up a support structure on the bow or the forward end of the trailer. The arch and the fiberglass sunroof were lowered to a purpose built wooden structure on the aft deck. In the process I removed the venturi, wheel, compass, radar, all flybridge railings and seats, antennas, electronics, canvas, anchor, etc. The trailer configuration allowed for the props to remain on the shafts. The dink sat on a cradle behind the tractor.

By the way, this company did a nice job of getting it there, but they were supposed to send two men in addition to the driver to help with the loading. They never showed up, so the driver and I ended up removing the hard top, and the arch (with an assist from the yard who provided the travel lift and a huge fork lift). The driver was PO'd to say the least.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat xport1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	28491

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat xport2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	28492

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat xport4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	28493
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 141
Shawn - I just noticed your signature. Are you the very lucky owner of one of the first AT 485's? Congratulations! What a beautiful, magnificent boat! It's truly a dream boat! You should have a lot of fun with it!

Which hull # are you? When do you expect to take delivery?

Congratulations again!
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Guru
 
City: NC
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 636
For those who have moved your boats by truck, can you post the boat length, it's displacement, beam, height, miles traveled, and rough cost of the move? Or cost per mile might be a better value to keep the cost private.

We live a couple of hours from the nearest place we could dock a boat and with current work/family requirements, the odds are that we would only be able to use the boat during the summer. We own enough land that we could easily store the boat at our place which would allows us to work on the boat as needed and would be cheaper and safer than keeping in a yard or docked. The idea is to put the boat in the water in the late spring when we would have more family time and haul the boat to our place in the fall.

We are looking at Diesel Ducks with largest model being 51 LOA, 15 beam and 72,000 with a full load. Air height worries me a bit as does the weight.

I have seen other posts of similar boats being moved 200-300ish miles, about what we would have to do, for $2,000-3,000.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
MV Salish Lady's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
Thank you very much everyone!

Shawn, yes, Endurance is an American Tug 395, and yes, I'm shipping it back to Tomco for them to put back together. You're right, they are an absolutely terrific group of people, Kurt Dilworth has been incredibly helpful, patient, and supportive (this is our second AT)(actually, third). Their customer service is the best I have ever seen. I am hoping to have the same person from Tomco who commissioned the boat when we bought it and it arrived on the east coast to be the one who dismantles it.

I'm hoping to find a way to have it trucked without needing to remove the flybridge, and avoid all the associated headaches. I've been told this is theoretically possible, but very costly, and probably not practical for a cross-country trip.

Dudley and Associated have both been recommended to me, but, given my past experiences with having a boat trucked (which were not always positive, though that was another outfit that caused me problems), I greatly appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and suggestions here.

Thanks again!
I also should have mentioned that we used Dudley about 6 times without any problems.
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member
 
MV Salish Lady's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 48
Salish Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
Thank you very much everyone!

Shawn, yes, Endurance is an American Tug 395, and yes, I'm shipping it back to Tomco for them to put back together. You're right, they are an absolutely terrific group of people, Kurt Dilworth has been incredibly helpful, patient, and supportive (this is our second AT)(actually, third). Their customer service is the best I have ever seen. I am hoping to have the same person from Tomco who commissioned the boat when we bought it and it arrived on the east coast to be the one who dismantles it.

I'm hoping to find a way to have it trucked without needing to remove the flybridge, and avoid all the associated headaches. I've been told this is theoretically possible, but very costly, and probably not practical for a cross-country trip.

Dudley and Associated have both been recommended to me, but, given my past experiences with having a boat trucked (which were not always positive, though that was another outfit that caused me problems), I greatly appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and suggestions here.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
Shawn - I just noticed your signature. Are you the very lucky owner of one of the first AT 485's? Congratulations! What a beautiful, magnificent boat! It's truly a dream boat! You should have a lot of fun with it!

Which hull # are you? When do you expect to take delivery?

Congratulations again!
Yes, we are expecting the second of the 485s. Unfortunately, she is over a month behind schedule, so we will miss the April launch. We are currently expecting her just before Trawler Fest in May. We will be taking her on the AT Broughton trip as her major shake-down cruise in early July.

Shawn
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
For those who have moved your boats by truck, can you post the boat length, it's displacement, beam, height, miles traveled, and rough cost of the move? Or cost per mile might be a better value to keep the cost private.

Thanks,
Dan
Boat LOA: 58'
Beam: 15'5"
Empty Weight: 57,000lbs (Required Supermax Trip Permits)
Miles Traveled: North of Detroit to Portland, OR (About 2800 miles due to detours & circuitous route he had to take)
Transport Cost: $20K

The flybridge had to be hauled on its own trailer with a cradle they built especially for it, and towed by its own truck. The weight of the load necessitated Supermax trip permits which cost a few bucks more. The trucker had to pay that, not me because my contract with him was to get the boat from point A to point B. He also had to eat the cost of the second truck/trailer/cradle because of his error. He said he'd hauled this particular model boat before and had placed the flybridge on the bow. Wouldn't work because of the overall height so it required its own truck and trailer.

The flybridge didn't weigh a lot, but it needed its own trip permits because it's 12' wide x 24' long.







__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,502
Check our JDaniels yacht transport. They have a cool sight with lots of pics.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The tech who put my boat back together was the one who took the flybridge off. He marked every wire on both sides of the cut so when it went back together there was no guesswork on which wire went to which.
You would think this is electric 101! My dad taught me that when I was 7....
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #16
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,698
Tom, I know it SHOULD be pretty basic, but my fear was that the selling brokerage would just start cutting wires and not taking the time to mark them. They were pretty pi$$ed at me for the deal they made, but I kind of had them over a barrel. (Long story there that I won't go into here.) They would have done just about anything to save time and money to get the boat on the road.

One of the things the brokerage wanted to do was lift the flybridge off by prying it up with a series of crowbars. Only when the technician who was representing me raised a serious ruckus over that did they relent and hire the crew from the marina to lift off the bridge the way it should be done, and it was then done without damage.

The arseholes at the brokerage (not the marina involved) were serious jerks about the whole deal.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #17
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Anyone ever hear of someone doing it by Canadian railway?????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Newbie
 
City: fort lauderdale
Country: united states
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Boat Shipping

I moved from Charleston South Carolina down to Fort Lauderdale Florida and I had a 32 foot Mariner shipped down by All Day Boat Transport out of Florida. The hauler loaded my boat and trailer on a 38 foot Flat Bed . It ran me about $2700 for the trip which I thought was pretty good. The driver told me they transport boats from every state.
BIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
Guru
 
roguewave's Avatar
 
City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 610
That looks to be Eriksen Marine, Lake Travis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underway View Post
We had our 44 Ocean Alexander shipped from Lake Travis, Austin, Texas to Michigan some years ago. I did something similar, but completed most of the detailed disassembly myself while taking dozens of digital photos. Also marked wires and bagged/labeled all hardware. Then wrote a detailed narrative in exact order of reassembly so that the yard at the other end could do the job. I e-mailed the instructions and photos to them and they said it went off without a hitch.

By the way, I refused to remove the flybridge, so the height was about 15'6" (over the 13'10" limit). This meant the load had to travel via a slightly more circuitous route (with a lead pole truck). The extra cost was roughly offset by the cost of removing the bridge and loading it on another truck or rigging up a support structure on the bow or the forward end of the trailer. The arch and the fiberglass sunroof were lowered to a purpose built wooden structure on the aft deck. In the process I removed the venturi, wheel, compass, radar, all flybridge railings and seats, antennas, electronics, canvas, anchor, etc. The trailer configuration allowed for the props to remain on the shafts. The dink sat on a cradle behind the tractor.

By the way, this company did a nice job of getting it there, but they were supposed to send two men in addition to the driver to help with the loading. They never showed up, so the driver and I ended up removing the hard top, and the arch (with an assist from the yard who provided the travel lift and a huge fork lift). The driver was PO'd to say the least.

Attachment 28491

Attachment 28492

Attachment 28493
__________________
..."some gave all, KIA"...
roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member
 
City: Baltimore
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGB View Post
I moved from Charleston South Carolina down to Fort Lauderdale Florida and I had a 32 foot Mariner shipped down by All Day Boat Transport out of Florida. The hauler loaded my boat and trailer on a 38 foot Flat Bed . It ran me about $2700 for the trip which I thought was pretty good. The driver told me they transport boats from every state.
Just a little curious why didn't you just sail down the ICW instead, that's a fun little five day trip on the ditch, seems like a good excuse for a cruise..
__________________

Trader34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012