Truck Transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surprise

Hi. Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Move if necessary.

I may need a GB 36 moved from the upper Chesapeake to Brunswick, GA. I could hire a captain to move it via ICW, but I think it would be easier, less expensive, faster, and maybe safer to truck it.

Any idea of the costs involved, and any recommendations for a good marine trucker based on first or second person experience?

Thanks,

SR

A lot cheaper to move it on water.

I just shipped a 40 foot SeaRay Express from Houston to Dallas and that was $6000 as an example. And Express cruisers are probably one of the easiest to move.

Hi. Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Move if necessary.

I may need a GB 36 moved from the upper Chesapeake to Brunswick, GA. I could hire a captain to move it via ICW, but I think it would be easier, less expensive, faster, and maybe safer to truck it.

Any idea of the costs involved, and any recommendations for a good marine trucker based on first or second person experience?

Thanks,

SR

You start by saying it would be less expensive and then ask if anyone has an idea of the costs involved. How did you decide it was less expensive.

Does the boat have a flybridge that needs to be removed and then replaced?

It's not a long trip by water, fairly easy six day trip averaging 12 knots. 8 days at 10 knots. 5 days at 15 knots. What's the cruising speed of your boat?

Is this a new boat to you or are there other reasons you're hesitant to move it by water? A reason you aren't moving it yourself?

Now, it's not a long drive. The trucking won't take the time. Removing and replacing a bridge will take more time than the journey, if it has a flybridge.

In looking further, the bridge might clear. I don't know. If so, that eases the task and makes trucking it very simple.

These numbers might be a little old, but what the heck. I think it will take about 10 days at 8 kts moving 8-10 hours per day.

Captain 10* $250 = $2,500
Crew 10* 100 = $1,000
Fuel 10*10*5*3.00/gal = $1,500
Food for crew, some restaurant = $1,000

So, roughly $6,000. That is cheaper than trucking if the flybridge has to come off. If not trucking might be somewhat cheaper- about $4,000. Plus hauling, launching and maybe winterizing if in the next few months. The latter will add at least $1,000 for twins. Haul and launch, about $500. Then it gets close.

And when your boat gets there by truck, it will be filthy.

Easier, no you have to find a trucker or a captain so about the same. Cheaper, could go either way depending on flybridge removal. Faster, yes trucking will be faster. And safer, don't think so.

David

My GB3YCL measured air draft to top of windscreen was 12' 6". Add 4' draft from keel & you are looking at 16' 6" plus the trailer height from roadbed. Don't think you can get under highway bridges pushing 18'. Take her down on her own bottom yourself & enjoy the trip. Can't think of any safety issues unless u ignore weather forecasts.

Tried to get a 41’ DeFever trucked from Miami to Pensacola, estimate $9,000 + haul out and in. Height was @ 15’ with flybridge. Hired an experienced captain, brought her back on her bottom. Saved money, enjoyed the trip, learned a lot about the boat along the way.

Thanks all for the good advice.

The boat will get to Georgia on its own power.

SR

PS: Happy New Year!

I’ll do it for two airfares from Florida plus actual expenses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom