Old 09-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

City: Poway, CA
Trawlers in the San Diego area

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to trawlers. For the last couple of years, I have been thinking about purchasing a "cost effective" trawler to have as a weekend getaway. I live inland (Poway) but I spend a lot of time at the beach (Mission Beach). So it seemed like a perfect way to have somewhere to hang out on the weekends. The more I have researched trawlers, the more I am intrigued by the boating lifestyle. I have been boating all my life on smaller fishing boats (although I get sea sick).

I am planning on semi-retiring in 3-5 years. The more I research, the more fun a little nicer boat sounds (below $100k). I have been paddleboarding around the docks of San Diego bay and Mission Bay looking at different boats. Trying to see what I like and don't like. Being a novice, I don't recognize makes/models yet, although I am getting better.

Anyhow......my questions is, are there any San Diego area trawler owners here that would be willing to show me around their boats? Maybe sit down over a beer or two and give advice (I will gladly supply beverages). Help me figure out what to look for. Just general stuff.

Theoretically if I were to purchase right now I would say ~$50k-75k budget, 36'-42', fiberglass hull, I like open deck space, mainly day cruise and Catalina as I got more confidence. I love Baja and at some point (if I get over my sea sickness) the Sea of Cortez would be amazing!

Thanks for your help!

PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome aboard, PDM!

One of our members just put their 34 LRC Californian (LOA 36+) up for sale right there in San Diego for under $50K. Maybe you could get together with the owner to see the boat, buy him lunch and learn a little.

Here's the thread of his classified listing here on TF.

Californian 34 LRC Sweet Marie

Best of luck in your hunt!

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Welcome aboard, PDM!

One of our members just put their 34 LRC Californian (LOA 36+) up for sale right there in San Diego for under $50K. Maybe you could get together with the owner to see the boat, buy him lunch and learn a little.

Here's the thread of his classified listing here on TF.

Californian 34 LRC Sweet Marie

Best of luck in your hunt!
Yes, I sent him a PM but I have not heard back. I'm not sure if he is a regular on this site.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

City: Murrieta
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 34' Trawler LRC
Trawler

send me an email if you would still like to see the inside of my trawler. I'd be happy to show you around my 1978 Califorian 34' LRC and the "Sweet Marie" is docked just a couple of slips down from me.

dostrand@ocean-blue.com
Trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
send me an email if you would still like to see the inside of my trawler. I'd be happy to show you around my 1978 Califorian 34' LRC and the "Sweet Marie" is docked just a couple of slips down from me.

dostrand@ocean-blue.com

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote