Trawlers 101 - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nomadwilly wrote:
Marci... what about the Cadillac. You forgot to leave a business card.

over
Eric Henning
Erici Henningi you could not afford my business card.

Is Beebe (1) not at all (2) a little bit (2) a lot (4) totally valid in 2009 or just interesting reading like Conrad?

The ocean hasn't changed ,4 is still totally valid .

The problem is PC speak.

At one time those fine Trumphy 60 -75 ft cruisers we all droll over were correctly called HOUSE BOATS.

Call some bloated shoe box a "house boat" and the owner gets mad.

Same nonsense with "fast trawlers",folks are looking at the house shape and deck, not the vessels underwater build and engine ,which if observed would indicate Motor Yacht.

Of course we can argue how many angels fit on the head of a pin, but to me a TRAWLER is a boat for economical cruising , not dockside cottaging.

The sad reality is many folks would be far better off looking at actual Motor Yachts for their particular use of a vacation house.

Once again a hammer is a better nail driver than a torque wrench ,
tho torque wrench sounds like its owner is more knowledgable and sophisticated.

FF

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 04:14:00 AM

.so, is a fast tug a fast trawler or a slow motoryacht or a pilothouse with a smokestack?

A look under water will decide if its a long distance , cheap to keep DISPLACEMENT cruiser ., or a speedboat for the PC.

A simpler coarse filter is to look at the HP .

When you see twin 300+ de fulers , it isn't a slow + distance boat , unless its 75 or 80+ ft.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 04:27:29 AM

FF* While your points on wasted HP are correct, today's diesels can be throttled way back with no apparent issues. A good case is the Flemming. Tony F has sold a lot of boats on the concept of displacement speed at about 1.2 mpg or 18 knots at*about 0.6 mpg. 55'+ *Offshore, Tollycraft, Symbol, and OA state the same.* Certainly Piers could add to this.

And this is one of the reasons Beebe is growing old, modern super reliable lightweight diesels. Compare a Cat 343 (I love em by the way) to a C9 or C12

Sorry about not being around here for the past few days. I really have no issue with the last line in MT's post. It does quantify his experience....somewhat. I think I might have a beef with what is in the signature line. I will think on it....

To Marinetrader
I AM VERY NEW TO TRAWLER FORUM, BUT I*READ YOUR COMMENTS REGARDING TRAWLER OPTIONS,I FOUND THEM TO BE GREAT*FOR PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF*LOOKING*TO GATHER*INFORMATION.
I AM A SAILOR GATHERING*ALL*SUCH INFORMATION.
THANK YOU,

-- Edited by GEORGE N on Monday 2nd of November 2009 07:10:53 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom