Whisky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #82
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Trawlers 101 - Part 1

Now you've got my attention. Scotch Whiskey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #83
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Willy, that matches your profile picture!

Mmmmmmmmmmm.... Beeeeerrrrrrrr!

Too bad we can't attach sound files!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #84
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Sorry, I have not been around these last few days. WInglets interupt the migration of air(pressure) caused by the BERNOULLI principle....high pressure below the wing seeking low pressure on top.....

As far as how Boeing engineers their planes...... Let me put it to you this way..... the max airspeed on a 767(Vmo) is 360kts indicated. Radar groundspeed reports of the Aircraft that hit the towers was WELL OVER 400kts in a highly banked turn....which means it was highly loaded. IOW.... the aircraft was performing WELL BEYOND it's design parameters solely to allow those arab ****S to drive those planes into the twin towers. I honestly think had those planes been Airbuses, they would not have completed those turns in one piece and therefore never would have made it to the towers.... Willy, in answer to your question, Amercian engineering usually has a little "fudge factor" just for "mom and the kids"....outside the paper renderings.... The Boeing folks always thought this was a safety margin that could be used for us....not against us....

And my buddy replied to me.... takes CAL in the neighborhood of 3 days to retrofit blended winglets on our airplanes. We have just launched a program for winglets on out 757-300s.....this is the first -300 in the world with winglets. Our first one has already entered revenue service.

And, a europa is a type of sedan!!!!!!!!!

Marin, your 30 minute winglets were just part of a marketing ploy by your APB buddies.... Anybody can sit there behind the glass and put a few bolts thru a hole and everybody can cheer so we can see how easy it is.... like I said before, there is a lot more to it than just bolting them on. And I guarandamntee you, CAL is motivated by the forces of capitalism and we will not have our aircraft out of service any longer than we need to.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #85
Scraping Paint

City: -
Trawlers 101 - Part 1

Quote:
Baker wrote:Marin, your 30 minute winglets were just part of a marketing ploy by your APB buddies....
I dunno what to tell you dude.* We've made training videos for the wing mechanics and I've video taped the process for other projects as well.* We've stood there under the wing with cameras recording the whole process from start to finish from every angle.* This was our wing assembly mechanics doing what they do every day in the wing assembly building.* It had nothing to do with APB.* It was just the guys and gals putting wings together.* And it takes 30 minutes.* That's 30 minutes per winglet, not 30 minutes for both of them.* If I implied otherwise I mis-spoke.

The first time we taped it I asked the lead how long it would take so we could stop them when it came time to change the tapes in the cameras.* He asked me how long the tape lasted.* I said 33 minutes (the running time of a high-def digital tape in the cameras we use).* He said no problem, it only takes 30 minutes.* And it did.* Installed, hooked up, ready to go.

Not ever having seen CO's shop or the process they use, I have no idea why there is such a significant time difference. * Perhaps it's in the tooling our assembly people have vs. the tooling an airline maintenance facility has.* Maybe the difference is in the processes used in both places.* Maybe the CO folks do a bunch of other maintenance stuff at the same time they're installing the winglets and they're including that work in the job.* Maybe the difference is in the training, or the fact that our folks do this day after day.* I don't know, but 30 minutes per winglet is the allotted time on the wing assembly timeline.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 18th of October 2009 02:03:18 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #86
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

It is probably an original build versus retrofit deal. Maybe this guy did not know what he was talking about....

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote