Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
Is it still worth attending in the rain if I'm not attending any seminars? I'm not sure if I would want a bunch of dripping wet people climbing in and around my boat
Nor do you want your shoes sitting in the rain.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Is it still worth attending in the rain? I'm not sure if I would want a bunch of dripping wet people climbing in and around my boat
I went to our local boat show a couple of weeks ago with the goal of looking at two specific boats. I made a deliberate choice to go early on a rainy day. I got there about half hour after it opened and there were no other people around. Had a quick look at the lesser appealing one and then spent over an hour on the one I really wanted a look at. I had already met the broker at a GB rendezvous and we hit it off so it was like a private showing and he was happy for the company as well.

They had the inside of the boats prepped for soggy people and the only thing I would recommend is slip on shoes.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #23
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I've attended a few... Solomon's & Baltimore. And I may go to the one on the Eastern Shore.

But they are all within a short drive of where I live, so no major commitment in time or money.

A fun day out looking at and crawling around some interesting boats. Had a few Pusser's Painkillers, had lunch, bought a few minor trinkets.

I would not have done any of them if it was raining or if I had to travel and book a hotel. YMMV.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #24

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
Is it still worth attending in the rain if I'm not attending any seminars? I'm not sure if I would want a bunch of dripping wet people climbing in and around my boat

There are still the tents with lots of cool stuff. I plan on stopping by (I live locally).
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #25

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Went by today. The show has pretty much been cancelled. The on shore portion has been cancelled. There were boats on display and admission is free. I don't know if anyone will be there over the weekend.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
Went by today. The show has pretty much been cancelled. The on shore portion has been cancelled. There were boats on display and admission is free. I don't know if anyone will be there over the weekend.
Yep, I was just getting ready to post that information. The classes are still scheduled when I checked an hour or so ago and the boats are supposed to be open. Not sure the owners will want wet people wandering through the boats though.

We were going to attend a class but MD, NC, and I assume VA have declared a state of emergency so we will be staying at home. It will be interesting to see what TrawlerFest does with the classes that have been already booked...

We were really looking forward to the class, and I don't want to miss it, much less loose my money, but it is not worth it to drive in this weather. It looks like the storm is going to bend along the coast line but all it takes is a sharp left turn like Andrews to make things interesting.

Really feel sorry for the vendors. Lots of work for nothing.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #27

City: Morris Plains, NJ
Thanks for the info. Canceled plans to attend, cancelled hotel. Staying in NJ.

Ahab7 is offline   Reply With Quote