Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

City: Aurora, IN.
Trawler vs Troller

I am new here. I have had many small fishing boats over the years. Now in the Market for a 28'- 36' Trawler/Tug style for cursing and living on part time. But I seeing people talk about a Troller. What is the difference between a Trawler and a Troller. ??? I am just a ol' country boy from Indiana. The bigger boats are all new to me.... But I can talk Tractors with the best of you....lol

Littlejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Uh oh!

Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
A trawler is a fishing boat that uses trawl gear to catch fish. A trawl net is pulled behind the boat and it has a "mouth" that is held open by a pair of large, heavy panels called "doors." All the components of this rig are controlled by winches and drums on variety of masts and booms. The net is pulled along close to the bottom where it scoops in the fish or shrimp that are being fished for. The net is then pulled onto the boat and emptied of its catch.

A troller is also a fishing boat but it uses a large number of individual lines with baited hooks or lures. These are pulled at various depths behind the boat and are distributed down the length of a line with a very heavy weight at the bottom. Trollers typically have two of these lines, one on each side of the boat suspended from a long pole called an outrigger. The lines are deployed and retrieved by small powered winches called "gurdies." When fishing, the boat is controlled from the stern where the fisherman pulls the lines in and unhooks the fish, and places them in fish well for cleaning and icing down.

The word "trawler" has been given a corrupted use for marketing reasons to recreational boats that originally possessed some of the qualities of fishing trawlers, namely the hull shape and economical speed and, to a degree, the appearance. The marketing idea which was hatched in the early 1970s so far as I can tell was to project the rugged, tough, and seaworthy image of a real trawler onto a recreational boat to make buyers think they were getting a more rugged, tough, and seaworthy boat than they actually were. Needless to say, the recreational boating crowd fell for this hook, line, and sinker, thus the common use today of the term "trawler" to describe what most definitely isn't one.

Since the marketing ploy was so wildly successful, all the recreational boat makers on the planet have wanted to cash in on it. So today the term "trawler" is applied to virtually any recreational type of boat you care to name regardless of its size, configuration or speed.

The term "troller" has not been used in this way, and so continues to refer only to a fishing boat that uses this method and type of gear for fishing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
I am new here. I have had many small fishing boats over the years. Now in the Market for a 28'- 36' Trawler/Tug style for cursing and living on part time. But I seeing people talk about a Troller. What is the difference between a Trawler and a Troller. ??? I am just a ol' country boy from Indiana. The bigger boats are all new to me.... But I can talk Tractors with the best of you....lol
Doesn't matter whether it's a trawler, a troller, or any other style of boat. They're all good for cursing!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Doesn't matter whether it's a trawler, a troller, or any other style of boat. They're all good for cursing!
Well, certainly good for cursing at.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
check this out:

Troller Yachts Home Page
Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
check this out:

Troller Yachts Home Page

Only 10% of the boats on this forum look anything like those
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
check this out:

Troller Yachts Home Page

Okay, I was wrong. I guess George wanted to stand out from the toy boat trawler world. Actually, he probably didn't want to use the word "trawler" to describe his boats because now "trawler" has become synonymous with run-of-the-mill plastic toy boats that look like bars of soap and he wanted his boats to not be thought of in that vein.

Goes to show you if you want long enough eventually the pendulum swings back the other way.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Only 10% of the boats on this forum look anything like those

My wild guess is less than 2% do but they are the better looking boats.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #10

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
My wild guess is less than 2% do but they are the better looking boats.
Agreed!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Agreed!
Says Mister Troller.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Guru