Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #21

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Loons Nest
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
Hello MikeyMike,

We are neighbours - I live in Markham and keep my boat in Whitby. She was just listed for sale and might be what you are looking for. You can see her here 1985 Ocean Alexander 38 Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com If you are interested give the listing broker a call. Good luck.

David

David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #22

City: Pickering
Thanks all for your valuable advise you gave me a lot to think about.
Definitely will be looking for a twin diesel preferably cats.
I work for Mercedes-Benz and know something about engine / motors so will be a easy inspection.
You have convinced me to scrap the idea of chartering or commercial fishing. I love fishing to much to let politics get in the way. The only thing is I will have to spend more money for new big water fishing gear. If I'm lucky maybe the boat we buy will include this.lol
Someone asked how much experience I have to awnser I have been on the water for most of my life and have great respect for the waters and the winds and pretty good at reading the condition . The only thing that would worry me a bit would be docking a boat of that size into a tight slip in high winds.
Heading down this winter to look at some and Luke someone said look at 50. So I might have to make a couple of trips this year.
Next post will be other that engine or boat structure /leaks what would be the two most important thing s you would look for when buying a boat.
Once again thank you class act.

Mikeymikefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #23

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Hi Mike,
You and I are in very similar situations, although I live down here in FL year round (as a side note, I grew up in Crystal Beach, Ont, down near Fort Erie).

Wife and I are going back and forth on what type of boat to get: cruiser or trawler.

We both have committed to each other that we will do 2-3 years liveaboard, then after that time, decide whether to go further with this dream or not. She is retired, I've got a couple more years to go.

We both want to spend the first year in FL waters getting used to the boat - whatever boat it is. After that we want to take a crack at some time between FL and The Bahamas, then would like to take a run down to the US Virgin Islands and possibly points further south. Simple, right? Well.....

She's a retired interior designer, so she's loving the sexy look of the Cruisers Yachts Cantius 48. It is a great looking boat, and something that we could easily live on - in a marina somewhere in FL and The Bahamas. I don't think for a minute that it would be a comfortable ride down the Thorny Path or across the Mona Passage.

My choice would be a DeFever 49 with paravanes. Lots of comfort, built to outlast either one of us, extremely comfortable, fantastic engine room, lots of fuel capacity, GREAT fuel consumption (especially compared to the Cantius 48), but in her eyes it's about as sexy as Elmer Fudd.

So the debate continues. In the end, it's going to come down to "Honey, where do you want to go with the boat?". This will ultimately tilt the scale one way or the other. I'm easy; I'm tired of the rat race and you could put me on a Cuban raft and I'd be happy.

So as others have said, Welcome! and enjoy the search engine.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"It is a great looking boat,"

Remind your bride most time living aboard you are in or on the boat , your neighbors get to see it not you.

To me a great sea boat trumps a "pretty boat" 100-1.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

To me, a happy wife trumps EVERYTHING 100-1 !!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #26

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"It is a great looking boat,"

Remind your bride most time living aboard you are in or on the boat , your neighbors get to see it not you.

<GROAN> Please don't get me goin' on this LOL. She's always reminding me that women don't dress for men; they dress for other women!

Same ROE goes for the boat in her mind.

How CAN'T she find a DeFever stand up engine room sexy?
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
<GROAN> Please don't get me goin' on this LOL. She's always reminding me that women don't dress for men; they dress for other women!

Same ROE goes for the boat in her mind.

How CAN'T she find a DeFever stand up engine room sexy?
Well, I'm on her side as I find nothing about a DeFever's appearance sexy. However, I'm not on her side going beyond that. Appearance is very secondary to us when choosing a boat. Utility for our purpose is number one by a mile. Sleek often is inconsistent with space and use, although it doesn't have to be. Our Sunseeker looks sleek but that's somewhat window dressing as the boat is really shaped fairly much boxy. The interior and the package it's wrapped in are far different.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymikefishing View Post
Yes I will be leaving the boat in Florida.
Max budget would be $100000.00 US this would be a boat that requires little work to start with.
I would be on the boat by myself if I didn't get my wife's input lol.
We require a boating license here in Ontario. Do you require one in the states re captains certificate.
What's the average for boat insurance.
You all have been great for your cheers and support if everyone is this friendly I think we made a good choice.
There is no such thing as a boaters license in Canada/Ontario. There is an absurdly simple test to acquire a PCOC card Which is NOT a license.

Technically, neither is there a Captains License in Canada. There is however a Masters Certificate of varying degrees available through Transport Canada with varying degrees of commercial experience required depending on the class of Certificate.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There is no such thing as a boaters license in Canada/Ontario. There is an absurdly simple test to acquire a PCOC card Which is NOT a license.

Technically, neither is there a Captains License in Canada. There is however a Masters Certificate of varying degrees available through Transport Canada with varying degrees of commercial experience required depending on the class of Certificate.
Ultimately most Canadian Captains are going to go outside of Canada, in which case they'll need STCW licenses, just as US captains need outside the US. For use just in Canada there is a Master Limited Certificate and a Master 150 GT Domestic and a Master 500 GT Domestic. The Master Limited is required for any commercial vessel over 5 GT. The 150 GT is good up to 150 GT near coastal, 150 GT limited voyage, contiguous waters (if so endorsed) and 500 GT on sheltered waters. There is also a Fishing Master good for fishing vessels up to 100 GT.

Very similar to US and MCA and RYA and to go outside the home country, all must be STCW.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Ultimately most Canadian Captains are going to go outside of Canada, in which case they'll need STCW licenses, just as US captains need outside the US. For use just in Canada there is a Master Limited Certificate and a Master 150 GT Domestic and a Master 500 GT Domestic. The Master Limited is required for any commercial vessel over 5 GT. The 150 GT is good up to 150 GT near coastal, 150 GT limited voyage, contiguous waters (if so endorsed) and 500 GT on sheltered waters. There is also a Fishing Master good for fishing vessels up to 100 GT.

Very similar to US and MCA and RYA and to go outside the home country, all must be STCW.
STCW is a training standard with a certificate not a license.
There are several Canadian Certificates which have been grandfathered and are no longer available. There is also wide range of special endorsements available for each certificate that do not show up on the TC website. eg. I have two grandfathered certificates and an amphibious endorsement on one.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
STCW is a training standard with a certificate not a license.
STCW is Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping. It is an endorsement required for international work, an effort to bring countries toward a single standard. Countries may still have National licenses good only within their waters.

It is required 1/1/2017. So it is not a license per se but a required endorsement on a license with it's own specific rules.

It's also been quite a money maker for schools with all the captains taking courses to bridge the gap.

Many commonly use the term STCW licenses but the correct term would be STCW endorsed licenses or licenses with STCW endorsements.