Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #21

City: Northern California
It is the car in my avatar. Over the last 10 years I've run 3 different engines. The first was a 355 sbc circle track engine, lousy street manners, raspy cracking idle, 12 mpg which is poor for a 1790 lb ride and 10.8 ET.

The next engine I built for torque as low in the rpm band as I could get it. 350 block, 400 crank, so 383 cid. 516 lb/ft @ 2800, idled like a pussycat, could pull top OD gear below 1000 rpm (manual trans) and at a steady 65 mph on a flat highway would break 30 mpg. 11.4 ET but a joy to drive. This is a 6% grade being pulled in top gear with a Tremec TKO 600 0.64 OD, 31" tires, 3.54 Jag IRS.

The current engine I let the talents of Scott Shafiroff design and build. Dart block 427. Better street manners than the 355, doesn't pull below 2000 rpm like the 383 could and 17 mpg.

355 was 386 hp, the 383 was 320 hp.

When the car is as light as mine you can see what small increases in hp do for your ET.
320 hp 11.4 ET
386 hp 10.8 ET
526 hp 9.7 ET

Here is a 427 side oiler in my '55 Ford many moons ago (about 30 years) and even though the hp was much higher than any of the engines I've run in the Track-T, the best ET was a 10.8 on borrowed slicks. I've never run slicks on the Track-T but it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't break something on launch that I might see eights.

It took me 40 years of hot rodding to catch on that weight is the enemy.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Bob, This is awesomeness!!! I had a 57 Ford side oiler too. Trawler minds think alike.

I really like the car you have. One day, I would like to build a street rod like that. Time isn't on my side and too many boat projects plus playing in two bands.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #23

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Bob, This is awesomeness!!! I had a 57 Ford side oiler too. Trawler minds think alike.

I really like the car you have. One day, I would like to build a street rod like that. Time isn't on my side and too many boat projects plus playing in two bands.
Small world. Who would have guessed folks that like a sedate 6 kt of speed for the long haul on the water want to rip like their pants were on fire on the street? I do get to go a bit faster on the water when serving on a container ship, around 19 kt, but the rate of acceleration is a snooze. The engine computer will stretch out to 1 hour the change from full ahead (14 kt) to full ahead sea speed.

If you get around to building something like mine, be sure to mount the engine and trans so low in the frame rails so that your CG is at or below spindle height. With no moment-arm to lean the body in a turn, insane G can be generated in the twisties, even though a PITA for speed bumps. I live off of hwy 49 in the Sierra foothills and the cornering is more fun (and legal) than the balls out acceleration.

Tags
boating, monterey bay, power boat, sea ranger, trawler