Trawler size advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the reasons I am not sure I would do the Great Loop (at least at first) is missing places like Camden, Rockport, Southwest Harbor (and other places near Acadia) and possibly Nova Scotia.

Regarding size, I find the idea of a larger boat more attractive when it comes to big water and bad weather. I know that the Cheasapeake Bay can get ugly as can Delaware Bay, LI sound, Pamlico Sound, etc. I would avoid bad weather/wind when possible, but how do you avoid wind in places like Maine? I have to assume that there are times when you have to suck it up and go regardless of less than ideal conditions, not to mention those times when you get caught in a storm or bad tide/wind combination. However, I would never leave port under any condition that was borderline unsafe for my particular vessel.

One of your big concerns cruising the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia is FOG!! It rolls in out of nowhere, and can be so dense you can hardly see your hand in front of your face. Totally disorienting.

Second is lack of forgiveness in the terrain, it's all pure granite. Generally you'll only make one mistake, per boat, lol. (Unlike the Chesapeake, where, if you don't run aground either you're a liar, or you don't actually use the boat. You just pull out of the mud and try again, no harm no foul. <wink>)

Then you've got major tides, currents and often sea swell to deal with. Bay of Fundy, some of the largest tides in the world, and all that tide gets funneled between thousands of islands along the coast. Casco Bay (Portland) also known as Calendar Bay, because it alone has 365 islands.

And we won't even mention trying to navigate the maze, known as "Lobster Pot Hell"

When conditions are good, the area can be beautiful, when things go bad it can be the perfect storm of terror.

Multiple times I've had to sit and wait at either Prince Edward, Halifax, Boothbay, or Portland for a weather window, (and I run a 120')
(And yes we've had the 120 into Camden many times, and this past summer we had our new 160'. Same with Annapolis)

Doing the loop and the Canadian and American Canals definitely limits the size of the boat. Air draft is a definite. 19 feet. Canada's canals are limited to 5 foot draft.

Western Erie has a lower air draft.

We have been in many marinas on the St. Lawrence, the Great Lakes and the canals where finding a slip or t-dock for a 50ft+ boat was a problem.

Also as more and more anchorages go to mooring balls length becomes an issue. The space between many moorings is set to accommodate boats less than 50 feet.

Nothing is impossible to deal with. Just a matter of what is the easy route and what is the complicated route. For the loop or Canals I would stick to under 50 feet.

One of your big concerns cruising the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia is FOG!! It rolls in out of nowhere, and can be so dense you can hardly see your hand in front of your face. Totally disorienting.

Second is lack of forgiveness in the terrain, it's all pure granite. Generally you'll only make one mistake, per boat, lol. (Unlike the Chesapeake, where, if you don't run aground either you're a liar, or you don't actually use the boat. You just pull out of the mud and try again, no harm no foul. <wink>)

Then you've got major tides, currents and often sea swell to deal with. Bay of Fundy, some of the largest tides in the world, and all that tide gets funneled between thousands of islands along the coast. Casco Bay (Portland) also known as Calendar Bay, because it alone has 365 islands.

And we won't even mention trying to navigate the maze, known as "Lobster Pot Hell"

When conditions are good, the area can be beautiful, when things go bad it can be the perfect storm of terror.

Multiple times I've had to sit and wait at either Prince Edward, Halifax, Boothbay, or Portland for a weather window, (and I run a 120')
(And yes we've had the 120 into Camden many times, and this past summer we had our new 160'. Same with Annapolis)

Ahhh the old country. I thought that was all normal for the first 15 years of my boating life :)

I spent a lot of time navigating those waters in the years before Loran C, and in retrospect it was challenging and occasionally scary. But with modern electronics, heat, patience, and good offshore judgement it can be fabulous area.

We have been in many marinas on the St. Lawrence, the Great Lakes and the canals where finding a slip or t-dock for a 50ft+ boat was a problem.

On the loop and great lakes, you can find plenty of transient dockage at marinas greater than 50'. Because you haven't needed it, you didn't really search for it. We just went through that entire area with a LOA of 69' and really had no problem. We went searching through AC, then their websites, then calling. Now, most would still be happier under 50' or at least under 60'. We just had more people than would work on a smaller boat.

This is the boat I bought:
IMG_1641.jpg

This is the boat I wanted:
IMG_2028.jpg

You have to decide what life style you want while cruising.
I wanted a reduced air draft for going under most bridges.
I didn't want a fly bridge and the canvas and plastic windows to mess with.
I didn't want wood outside to varnish.
I wanted a draft of less than five feet.
I wanted an engine and generator that was big enough but not too big that my fuel costs would be high.
I wanted and needed two separate state rooms.
I wanted a boat I could wash in an hour.
I wanted a boat that I could be proud of.

When you decide on a vessel, spend a weekend on it at the dock and see if you still want to buy it.

I would suggest considering buying a smaller, cheap boat and embrace the lifestyle, learn boating and in the best of worlds put her in a huge marina so that you can develope relationships. Perhaps something like a 34 mainship or some other boat to learn on while meeting folks.
The best deals very often never hit a broker or yachtworld. Buy your smaller boat right and you should not lose much.

Case in point, guy died in our Marina, 43 foot VERY nice Hatteras Sport Fisher went for less than $30,000. Another, Marine Trader (2 of em) mid 40' went for less than $50k.

Just a thought.

'tug, your choice was good. Besides, your tug will be much easier to dock.

This is the boat I bought:
View attachment 60711

This is the boat I wanted:
View attachment 60712

You have to decide what life style you want while cruising.
I wanted a reduced air draft for going under most bridges.
I didn't want a fly bridge and the canvas and plastic windows to mess with.
I didn't want wood outside to varnish.
I wanted a draft of less than five feet.
I wanted an engine and generator that was big enough but not too big that my fuel costs would be high.
I wanted and needed two separate state rooms.
I wanted a boat I could wash in an hour.
I wanted a boat that I could be proud of.

When you decide on a vessel, spend a weekend on it at the dock and see if you still want to buy it.

Finding a boat that enables you to check off each of the items on you "Wish list" should assure you will be happy with your purchase. We had a few compromises but only a few which we felt equaled success. How we plan to use the boat dictated items to put on the list and items not needed at all.

Also, like you said, spending a few day on one the boats is valuable. We were able to charter a N37 and a N47 Great Harbour for a week each and cruise the St John's river so we knew we would likely be happy with the boat.

IMG_7725.JPG

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom