Trawler Search Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brainey

Vessel Name
Lucky Jack
Vessel Make
43 Atkinson
Hello All,
Just starting to visit these forums as I contemplate my next boat. I'm hoping you could all chip in some advice to get me started.

I am in my late 40's, lifetime boater and fisherman in the mid-Atlantic. I currenty own a 40' Maine built lobster boat (single Cummins 6CTA) and love the ride, simplicity, and lines. It fits the bill as an inshore/offshore fishing boat and a weekend cruiser for my wife, son and me.

My plan is to reduce my workload over the next 5-7 years to allow for more extended cruising, with fishing always mixed in. My first priority is safety and comfort offshore, good fishing platform, efficient operations and maintenance, then creature comforts. I also need room to host guests from time to time. My initial thoughts are something in the 50' range, two staterooms, flybridge and enclosed wheelhouse.

My budget will be around $200K so obviously talking used and willing to do some refitting as I have done with my current boat.

So I'd like to hear from you all, especially those who use their boats the way I envision. Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Brainey......welcome to the home of dreams and schemes
I think your criteria is reasonable and that you will find such a craft. Perhaps the only advice I can offer is that the 44 and 46 and even 48 foot range has a lot more inventory to choose from than the 50 foot range. From a configuration standpoint it sounds like you need a cockpit. Once you get up to the 50 foot area you start to see less product available and access is further afield.

As well you might want to take some of that time to look around at dockage from the perspective of price and availability. Less dockage is simply reflective of the lower volumes of 50 foot craft. Having a marina you are happy with and is close enough to you is a major factor in using and appreciating your boat.

The only catch I see is your "safety and comfort offshore". Do you intend to be offshore a lot.....cruising etc..

I like to do multi-day offshore fishing trips usually consisting of trolling during the day and anchoring/drifting and fishing at night. These happen anywhere from 45-75 miles offshore. I plan on continuing this with the next boat with the possibility of the overnight ocurring during a trip (leave home port, out overnight, come in to a different port. This is of course only fun if you are very confident in the integrity and dependability of the boat and all the systems.

My first priority is safety and comfort offshore, good fishing platform, efficient operations and maintenance, then creature comforts. I also need room to host guests from time to time. My initial thoughts are something in the 50' range, two staterooms, flybridge and enclosed wheelhouse.

Why a trawler shaped deckhouse?

Sounds like the usual trawler speeds will be a big hassle for going 75 miles out , 10 hours in transit ONE WAY?

Once you get into the fuel burn of semi plaining 1 nm/gal, to .5nm/gal you would probably be better with a sport fish , same fuel burn 2x the speed. Deep V hull for a good ride at speed.

The sport fish is probably US made , so there is less eye candy teak to maintain , and no plywood coverrd decks to repair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom