Trawler or sailboat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DinghyDog wrote:

"Oh yeah…I started receiving AARP mailings."

Turned 25 huh? :) Well, I suppose everyone has their own view of the AARP, but when they send mass mailings to everyone at a very early age, it kind of turns me off on them.

Mike has some great points on the comparision. :thumb:

The sailors (and yes we used to sail) always bring up the fuel cost for a power boat and that wind is free. Sails, however, are not free and need to be replaced. Though you can keep sailing with your crappy worn out sails until they shred. :eek:

What Mike and Jennifer said... I'm getting rid of my sailboat to step out of the cave and into the cabin.

That 10 to 20% of the time is magic when the sails are full though.

Marin - you confuse me. You always want to be somewhere else, yet you claim to enjoy the voyage?

Fair question and I'm sorry I haven't made it more understandable in the past than I have.

Where I want to be is running the boat, be it in Washington, British Columbia, or on a canal in England.

It's the going and the driving that I enjoy most. The destination is irrelevant. Destinations are just places to stop and take a break until we start going again.

It's why I don't mind going to the same places in the islands all the time. The place itself I don't care much about. It's the opportunity to be on the move and driving the boat in this environment--- by which I mean the waters between here and Glacier Bay--- that I live for. The water is always changing, the weather is always changing, the wildlife is always doing new things when we're underway. Being underway and running the boat is exciting and challenging. Being stopped at some destination is not.

I much prefer to run a fast boat because I find that a lot more interesting and challenging than running a slow boat. Fortunately one of our boats is fast so if I really want a speed fix I can take that out. But even in the plodding old GB, I still enjoy being underway (or maneuvering).

I love getting back into the scenery. It's the main reason I took up float flying after getting all my ratings in landplanes in Hawaii. Being on the move in the air or on the water (or on the road) is what it's all about for me.

However I only want to drive the boat, fly the plane, whatever, in an environment that interests me. So I have zero interest in boating the ICW or the Gulf or the rivers. Maine and the Canadian Maritimes would be neat, though, as would northern Scotland.

So yes, I always want to be "somewhere else." But not because it's that "somewhere else" that I actually want to be at. I could give a hoot in hell where that "somewhere else" is or what it is as long as it's in the area I want to boat in. What I want is to drive the boat there. Once we're there life stops-- so to speak--- until we leave the next day to drive "somewhere else" again and I can be underway again.

It's why I love twin engines and will never go back to just one. More to do underway and maneuvering, more of a challenge to master. Three would be even better. Four would be even better than that.

I love running the machine, be it in the air, on the water, or on the road. It's all about the driving. The destination is irrelevent as long as there is one so we can drive something to it.

Don't get me wrong--- I enjoy most of the places we go in the boat, plane, etc. Particulary if there isn't anyone else there except us. So we don't have much use for marinas and harbors even though we do use them.

But the whole deal for me, and to a large degree my wife, is being on the move and going through this amazing environment that we like to call the northwest raincoast.

image-1338765795.jpg

image-2511323678.jpg

image-1798954996.jpg

Last edited:
A good financial analysis will show that a snailbote and a proper trawler will cost about the same to operate, all things considered.

The sailors (and yes we used to sail) always bring up the fuel cost for a power boat and that wind is free. Sails, however, are not free and need to be replaced. Though you can keep sailing with your crappy worn out sails until they shred. :eek:

Wholeheartedly agree! We had to replaced our mainsail & sailtrack three years ago at a cost of over $5K.

Mike

Depending on circumstances... couple items: One I may have missed as being mentioned, but greatly enjoy myself, is docking power boats in a fully covered berth. That really helps limit the sun and weather deteriorations, which greatly reduces maintenance and repair efforts... something a sail boat can't do. And, of course, the Sunny days flooding the roomy, fully equipped salon with rear master stateroom and forward guest stateroom both with full head, inc showers. Not to mention the great view from the bridge and a spacious sun-deck to sit and relax... all on a 1977 tri cabin Tollycraft 34' x 12'6" cruiser that also has good sized swim platform off transom. Afordble as all-get-out :thumb: :socool: :popcorn:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 95
I went through the same discussion (with myself) about trawler/saiboat. In the end I chose the trawler. My reason was my age, 65, and my friends ages, 55 plus. I want to relax on the water, be reasonably certain we will reach our destination with a minimum of work and have a stable platform for dogs and grandkids. Came real close to a motor-sailor but didn't have the room.
That about sums us up as well - that and the fact that in the parts of Moreton Bay, (Queensland, Australia), where we sail/motor, most sail boats are motoring anyway, and you find it harder to get out of the sun or rain in yacht cockpits. I know - we had two yachts in the past.

"Sails, however, are not free and need to be replaced."

Sails like most fabrics wear out (like your condom dink) from sunshine.

Modern sail cloth is expected to be totally functional after 5 years of sun exposure.

100 -150 miles a day , for 5 years is over 270,000 miles or 4-5 trips around the world.

Even an Albin 25 at 1/2 gal per hour can not have such long range at such a tiny price.

Sailmaking is very labor intensive , so the Hong Kong sail maker would lower the cost even more.

See the world ,buy a sailboat , see the ditch , become a marine motorist with a 3 story roomaran.

Either way its better than being ashore!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom