Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I like Sunchaser's list and would add Hatteras and Marlowe to it. I love the Fleming 55 as boats to be underway in, but we could never consider one as a live aboard ourselves. They're actually a pretty small boat and the master stateroom set up is a deal killer for us, as was the engine room (as beautiful as it is) was for me, ERs are a no-crawl zone for me.

Just to give you an example of how two 55ish boats can be quite different, here's a pic of my 56 Hatt side by side with a beautiful Fleming 55:

As noted, the equations become different (and they are also different for different people) as you add 1) living aboard full time and 2) cruising full time. Ergonomics for handling, living and maintaining the boat comfortably become more and more critical and for us, less subject to compromise.

BTW, I disagree with the urban (or dockside) legend about the 2 cycle DD's. The longevity is just fine as along as they aren't juiced up, as many were, and run really hard, as many, especially in sportfishermen, were. But they were pretty much getting phased out circa 2000.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
High Pockets new would have been a breathtaking amount but High Pockets used went for less than a thousand boat dollars. Last I looked, Flemings were up there too. In fact the subject here is a 72' which is a bit bigger than the Fleming but with a single 500 Cummins, I'll bet it's significantly cheaper to run. Plus, no wood outside. You could raft with a Fleming and not even notice it! The only thing I don't like about High Pockets is it was painted, which makes for a pretty boat but without paint, all you will ever need outside is bleach and a bucket.

Having owned a Grand Banks I recognise the comfort zone of fellow owners, kind of a built-in yacht club, but there are virtually no production boats I would look twice at now. I would bet that the percentage of members on here that would look twice at my boat is very small. I actually like that. No offence intended, I like being here.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #23
Guru

Forgot to mention, I look after a 65 Hat and it is massive. Twin 4 cylinder Detroits, two generators and about 5 air conditioning units. 4 heads. Enough accommodation to be a slum landlord if times get tight. That would be a great live aboard and an economical cruiser.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
High Pockets new would have been a breathtaking amount but High Pockets used went for less than a thousand boat dollars. Last I looked, Flemings were up there too. In fact the subject here is a 72' which is a bit bigger than the Fleming but with a single 500 Cummins, I'll bet it's significantly cheaper to run. Plus, no wood outside. You could raft with a Fleming and not even notice it! The only thing I don't like about High Pockets is it was painted, which makes for a pretty boat but without paint, all you will ever need outside is bleach and a bucket.

Having owned a Grand Banks I recognise the comfort zone of fellow owners, kind of a built-in yacht club, but there are virtually no production boats I would look twice at now. I would bet that the percentage of members on here that would look twice at my boat is very small. I actually like that. No offence intended, I like being here.

I believe High Pockets also has had a substantial refit since it was purchased. My neighbour is good friends with the engineer on that boat. He used to work with him in the airlines. It's moored in Port McNeil.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
Guru

Last time I saw her she was passing me as I was enroute to Roche Harbour for the GB Rendezvous. She had a bone in her teeth and when she passed, I regretted probably for the first time in my life that I wasn't Bill Gates!

I've got a friend who berths ships in Port McNeill - I'll see if he knows the new owner. Thanks Jim!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #26

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Good luck in your search! I don't play in this area of budget but if I did there simply is not a more beautiful boat than the Fleming 55 or 65. I have never met Mr. Grand or Mr. Banks, Mr. Alaskan, etc. but I did get the opportunity to meet Tony Fleming in the pilothouse of his own boat at the Seattle Boat Show this year. Reading Passagemaker there is plenty made over the Fleming's. For my son, it was like meeting an icon. He was taking the time to talk with average folks and explain why he made the choices that he did. This was incredibly impactful and I appreciated his time. When you are in a marina your eye instantly goes to the Fleming. They are simply stunning!

The other day when we were in Anacortes a 65 pulled out of their slip in a pretty confined space. It spun around on a dime in a fairway that was maybe 8 feet longer than the boat. Incredibly agile for a boat that size.

Good luck in your search! Thanks for keeping the dream alive for the rest of us!
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Cobalt 293
Perhaps a Selene, if you're in this range, in the PNW market?
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Caltex points out something to keep in mind. Size of boat isn't just length. Think volume. You see his Hatteras parked beside a similarly sized Fleming. That doesn't mean it's better, but definitely bigger and it reflects itself in many ways.

In your initial post you mention a 55' Fleming and a 64' Alaskan. A 55' Fleming should be large enough for your purposes, but if you want to compare to the 64' Alaskan then you need to use a 65' Fleming for that comparison.

I'd suggest thinking of your requirements a bit more before selecting a brand. Will you be living on it alone? How many guests? Where do you intend to cruise. Look at the layouts as thinking of your needs, not in a general way. What percentage of the time will you be single handing?

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote